General chit-chat on the Linx 1020
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

May 6th, 2017, 11:05 am

But that is the only one that required a reboot then said it was updating then died?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: Linx 10

May 6th, 2017, 11:28 am

Yes I know and it seemed logical to assume the Insyde Firmware was the problem as it was the only update that required a reboot, however, the firmware update wasn't downloaded or installed on my second 1020 prior to it being damaged.

This situation is really frustrating, particularly as Microsoft appear to be keeping schtum.

I forgot to mention that if you use a Microsoft account to log in to your 1020 and another Windows device such as a laptop on the same Wifi network, if Sync is enabled (which it is by default) then it will change the Metered connection status on the other device(s) and visa versa. I had this issue with my laptop which had the internet connection changed to Metered after I set it on my 1020.
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 6th, 2017, 11:37 am

Yes will have a look at my Minix pc to see if it has done that, but I think there is an option not to do this on other devices on the same network I have them turned off.

gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 10th, 2017, 10:19 am

No my Minix was fine, still all fine on my 1020, only still the basic Windows defender updates, no sign of the firmware one, so all good at present. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: Linx 10

May 11th, 2017, 9:25 am

Good to hear, Alan.

My latest 1020 is still working fine with metered connection set but not being able to update or upgrade Windows 10 is frustrating to say the least.
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 11th, 2017, 9:38 am

Did a cumulative update yesterday KB 4019472 no problems still working fine

Buzz54
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Retailer: CCL Computers

May 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I have previously installed Creators update from a USB and then successfully rolled it back to the original OS when the power issues became apparent.
The tablet was very difficult to restart. I got the impression that there was a driver that caused the tablet to hang before it reached a fully off condition. This would also explain the inability to restart.
To restart the tablet from off (hung), you first need to hold the power switch long enough to force the tablet to 'hard shutdown', and the again for another ten seconds to bring about the normal start from power off condition.
It seems to help if you carry this out in a dimly lit area, as you can then monitor the slight illumination of the screen when it is 'live', a lot of the process is more based on feel. I did find that the charge light was no longer a reliable indicator of what the tablet was doing.
If the tablet had been switched off (hung) for any length of time the charger needed to be plugged into the charger and left for five to ten minutes before trying the above irrespective of the battery state. It would not boot without the charger plugged in.
I hope some of this information might help other users to at least get back to a pre-update status.
O&O software offer a freeware Win10 privacy tool that is pretty easy to navigate. It is portable and has the option to turn off windows updates without using the metered connection fix. Read the instructions, it is quite a powerful tool.
Available here...
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Good luck
Buzz
Buzz54
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 11th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Additional, although my status shows 1010, I actually ran the Creators update of my own 1010 without issue, and also on my wife's 1020.
My last post details my issues with a 1020.

Buzz
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 11th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Sounds like a useful tool that buzz cheers

Buzz54
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 12th, 2017, 7:14 am

Since my move to a 32GB environment with a low end processor my software 'favorites' have changed quite a lot. O&O ShutUp10 is usually my first call once my new PC has connected to the internet for the first time and activated itself.
After I have run a major update (1507, 1607, 1603) I prefer to clean the drive with Dism++, it is faster than MS Cleanup and has way more features.
https://www.chuyu.me/en/index.html
Make sure you are happy with the fresh install before you run it, because there will be no turning back once the Windows.old directory is removed.
My goto uninstaller is Geek Uninstaller, which shows Software and apps under two separate sections (click view). Small, smart, free and portable, it also tries to clean up any residual files and folders that the stock uninstall leaves behind.
www.geekuninstaller.com/download

I keep an updated list of my favorite software, I will see if there is a relevant section on this forum to post it.

Buzz