General chit-chat on the Linx 1020
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

May 5th, 2017, 9:19 am

Not aware of this yet, wether it also blocks the creators update to at present I'm not sure, perhaps a email to support to ask them?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: Linx 10

May 5th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I had a very helpful and constructive phone call from Linx Support earlier today.

Obviously Linx are aware of the issues we have been experiencing and confirmed to me that it is the Microsoft Update that is the cause. Also at present it is thought that this issue only affects Linx 1020 tablets.

The advice from Linx Support is to set how updates are delivered to metered connections until such time as a Microsoft fix is confirmed.

Argos have again kindly exchanged my defunct tablet for a new Linx 1020 and this time I am taking no chances.

Unfortunately for Linx 1020 owners who have already been affected by the Microsoft Update issue the only option is to take it back to the retailer for an exchange or refund.

Kind Regards,

Marc
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm

So exactly which update? They said? As mines fine with the ones you updated before, is it still the firmware one?
Cheers
Alan

Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 5th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Hi Alan,

I am really not sure which update and I didn't get the impression that even Exertis know for sure which of the updates has caused the problem.

I think the working theory at Exertis is that a firmware update is the culprit, but in the list of updates Windows downloaded on my second Linx 1020 yesterday I could see no specific firmware update.

For now I am keeping Wifi off on my latest replacement Linx 1020 as I could find no way to disable Windows Updates and I am not having lightening strike a third time.

Curious thing is that when I set up my new Linx 1020 it is running Version 1511, yet the Linx 1020 I got yesterday ran Version 1607.

Hope your Linx 1020 is still running well.

Kind Regards,

Marc
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 5th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Hi Marc, yes mines running sweet still, you have to set your WiFi connection to be metered, then when you check for updates then it will only show you what's available and won't download anything unless you select download. And so far all I have had extra to download is the Windows defender definitions. So it cannot install anything now because of being on the metered connection, soon as I see it I will use that tool to hide it.

gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 5th, 2017, 9:07 pm

You can Google how to set a WiFi metered connection in win 10

busby
Retailer: Amazon

May 5th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I have read that several people who have had their Tablets replaced, have had the same problem with the replacement..

You can read about it here; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 77bfb7116a
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 5th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Thanks Busby, yeah I'm convinced it is only the firmware one that does it as that was the only one to require a reboot to install since it was a firmware update. But nice to know how many it has affected, but sadly we cannot simply download a fix, these devices have to be returned bricked, I had mine replaced and as you can see from above it will only install what I let it, so it isn't going to happen to me again.

gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 6th, 2017, 7:44 am

Quick update this Saturday morning, just to say still no sign of the firmware update, so perhaps Microsoft have pulled this for the moment, which is very good news,I did check again for updates and only Windows defender yet again, have checked hidden updates and does not show there either, hope to hear of other users with updates to see what's the latest.

Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 6th, 2017, 11:02 am

Setting Metered connection has sorted the problem for me. I Just have to remember to set it if take my 1020 out with me and use a different Wifi connection.

Regarding the Insyde Firmware update, I checked my system information on the new 1020 and the BIOS is Insyde Corp LINX1020.122D.9.07., so maybe this wasn't the problem after all