Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

May 3rd, 2017, 3:58 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to this website so I'm not sure where to post this.

Windows updated my Linx 1020 yesterday with three updates listed below in bold type.

1) Update for Windows Defender

2) Cumulative Update for Windows 10

3) Insyde Firmware update
(which required a reboot)

After Windows downloaded and installed the updates I was required to restart so I opted to update and reboot. My Linx 1020 shut down normally and the Linx logo display as it started to reboot. However, after this point the screen remained black and no matter what I tried I could not start my tablet. The orange power light also does not display when on mains power. Prior to shut down my Linx 1020 was 97% charged and on mains power.

Since yesterday I have tried repeatedly to boot my Linx 1020 to no avail. To all intents and purposes my Linx 1020 is dead and it is my belief that one or more of the Windows updates is responsible for this rather than a fault with my Linx 1020. The most probable culprit I feel is the Insyde Firmware update as this required the restart. I have checked the power lead and it is working fine.

I have contacted Exertis about this matter and am waiting for a response. I also made a similar post to the Microsoft Community since it is probably their software that has caused my Linx 1020 to die.

Does anybody know if the Insyde Firmware update is actually intended for the Linx 1020, or do you think Windows Update installed it by (fatal!) error?

Obviously after my experience I would advise people to be cautious about installing Windows Updates until Exertis or Microsoft actually confirms one way or another whether my Linx problem is down to the Insyde Firmware update.

Kind Regards,

Marc
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010

May 3rd, 2017, 4:04 pm

Ah I think that's what did mine yesterday, totally dead, I've just got a replacement from Argos, I did tell linx over the phone, so it looks deff like it was the firmware one as that's totally screwed the bios, as mine already updated the other 2 not long before but didn't see this one as wife was using it when she said it needed to reboot, looks like you will have to get a replacement to as you won't be able to fix the bios I'm sure, mine was only 5 weeks old so had no problem with Argos changing it.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

Hey Gadget,

Thank you so much for your post. I was starting to feel like it must be just my tablet that has this issue.

I have just received a rather disappointing response from Linx Support, suggesting a soft reset and alternative power supply as the solution. I may not be an IT wizard but neither am I a complete numpty. Tried both suggestions numerous times over the past 24 hours.

Curiously the response from Linx Support made no reference to the updates Windows installed, which is strange considering it was this Insyde Firmware update that required the reboot which most likely scrambled my BIOS.

I am really glad Argos sorted you out. Mine is still under warranty but I am not sure if Argos will replace after 7 months.

Thanks for posting.

Kind Regards,

Marc
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 3rd, 2017, 5:36 pm

Your welcome Marc, I will call them in the morning as I say I wasn't really sure what caused it until I read your post, and I'm pretty certain now that it must have been the Insyde Firmware update that's done this. As what you described was exactly the same to what mine did. The tablet is not totally dead as I connected it to my other pc via micro usb and it was recognised as cherry trail but no driver. But I'm sure they can re program the bios when they get them back.

gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 4th, 2017, 8:42 am

Spoke again this morning they are aware of the matter now so will have to leave it up to them to sort it out

Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 4th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Hi Guys,

The good news: Argos kindly provided me with a new Linx 1020 no quibbles.

The BAD NEWS: Having literally just set up my brand new Linx 1020, Windows installed several updates and surprise surprise my new Linx 1020 has developed exactly the same issue and will not power up. I have tried the 'soft reset' as suggested by Linx Support but to no avail, yet another Linx tablet is seemingly dead.

I telephoned Linx Support and I was told the tech team go home at 4pm, but the customer service operative did confirm they have been inundated with calls from Linx owners with exactly the same issue.

I have also just received an email from Linx Support advising Linx owners who have this issue to unplug their devices for 12-24 hours until fully discharged and then charge for 5-10 mins and perform a 'soft reset'. This should boot the tablet according to Linx Support and then it is recommended to go into Control Panel and follow the steps listed below.
Follow the steps below to assure this issue doesn't happen again;

1. Go to 'Control Panel'. (In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel, and then select Control Panel)

2. In the search box, type 'Power' and the window should now show the title 'Power Options' in green.

3. Under this title, select 'Change what the power buttons do' and another window should pop up.

4. Select 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' (written in blue above the Power and Sleep button settings)

5. Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)'. (If the option is already unchecked, then check it and follow step 6, and then follow steps 1-6 once more).

6. Save changes, and restart your device
No idea if this will work or not but mine is going back to Argos tomorrow.

This whole situation is an absolute disgrace as both Microsoft and Linx have known about this issue for at least several days and yet Windows continues to automatically download and install updates that cause this problem to develop.

Kind Regards

Marc
StephenCWLL
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: Linx 1020
Retailer: Microsoft

May 4th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems. As if creator's update hasn't been enough of an issue, now the firmware.

I have my network connection set to metered to stop automatic updates. You can also block specific updates by using the tool here http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... de.diagcab

Also, that advice from the "experts" at linx support was what they gave me for the creator's update issue so I expect they just dish out the same remedies and hope that fixes it.
gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 4th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Yeah well that's helpful mate as they didn't tell me that info this morning, I will look at that when I get in from work tonight as I'm not letting it be fried again so soon

gadgetuk
Linx User
Linx User

May 4th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Ælfweard wrote:Hi Guys,

The good news: Argos kindly provided me with a new Linx 1020 no quibbles.

The BAD NEWS: Having literally just set up my brand new Linx 1020, Windows installed several updates and surprise surprise my new Linx 1020 has developed exactly the same issue and will not power up. I have tried the 'soft reset' as suggested by Linx Support but to no avail, yet another Linx tablet is seemingly dead.

I telephoned Linx Support and I was told the tech team go home at 4pm, but the customer service operative did confirm they have been inundated with calls from Linx owners with exactly the same issue.

I have also just received an email from Linx Support advising Linx owners who have this issue to unplug their devices for 12-24 hours until fully discharged and then charge for 5-10 mins and perform a 'soft reset'. This should boot the tablet according to Linx Support and then it is recommended to go into Control Panel and follow the steps listed below.
Follow the steps below to assure this issue doesn't happen again;

1. Go to 'Control Panel'. (In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel, and then select Control Panel)

2. In the search box, type 'Power' and the window should now show the title 'Power Options' in green.

3. Under this title, select 'Change what the power buttons do' and another window should pop up.

4. Select 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' (written in blue above the Power and Sleep button settings)

5. Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)'. (If the option is already unchecked, then check it and follow step 6, and then follow steps 1-6 once more).

6. Save changes, and restart your device
No idea if this will work or not but mine is going back to Argos tomorrow.

This whole situation is an absolute disgrace as both Microsoft and Linx have known about this issue for at least several days and yet Windows continues to automatically download and install updates that cause this problem to develop.

Kind Regards

Marc
Dam Marc, I watched the updates on mine and the firmware one hasn't come up yet, going to block it later ref what Steve says below as I'm not sure Argos will swap for yet another one till the problem is fixed.[emoji21]

Ælfweard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

May 4th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Thanks for clarifying the advice given by Linx Support, Stephen.

I have to say what they suggested did not work with my previous Linx 1020 before I took it back to Argos today, so I am somewhat sceptical it will work with the new one.

Below is a list of the updates that Windows downloaded and installed to prior to my new Linx 1020 rebooting and getting fried.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4015217) This failed to install
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4018483)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2017 (KB3890830)
Update for Windows 10 version 1607 (KB4013418)
Feature On Demand Dot Net 35 - Windows 10 version 1607 for x86-based system (KB3180030)
What the heck is this update, ideas anyone?

If you do decide to risk allowing Windows to update your Linx then perhaps take note of these updates.