Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Do NOT install Windows 10 Creators Update : Help (Linx 820)

Do NOT install Windows 10 Creators Update

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Do NOT install Windows 10 Creators Update

by stuclark » July 20th, 2017, 9:29 am

Do NOT install Windows 10 Creators Update on the 820 - there is a driver / firmware bug which makes Creators Update virtually incompatible with the Linx 820 (and 1020).

If you do install Creators Update, the first thing you'll get is a bluescreen crash part way through the installation. Turning the tablet off and on again resolves this issue and the update will complete.

However, you'll then find there's a major issue with the tablet's chipset / power drivers (and firmware) resulting in very rapid battery drain; the inability to turn the tablet off correctly (excaserbating the battery drain); and significant issues in turning the tablet on again, sometimes taking up to hlaf an hour to get it to boot.

Unfortunately there's no workarounds for this yet (trust me, I've tried everything), so the best advise right now is to avoid Creators Update all together until Linx can provide some new drivers / firmware to resolve the issues.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Total Computers
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Do NOT install Windows 10 Creators Update

by Stollas » July 21st, 2017, 8:24 am

Do the people who manufactured the Linx tables interact with this forum? When the Windows 10 update issues are solved by Linx (I'm assuming that will happen, or a workaround released) is it likely they'll announce here or do you think we'll have to contact them directly through their technical support web page?

Linx Tablet: Linx 820
Retailer: Argos

by Stollas » July 30th, 2017, 7:03 am

I contacted Linx support about this issue. They replied confirming the power issue and suggested disabling fast start. This should stop the battery draining when the 820 is turned off.

Support then said they are working on a BIOS update. It is in the testing phase at the moment and should be released soon.

by Dann » August 3rd, 2017, 9:58 pm

Bios update is out!

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

System Requirements

The Linx Firmware Update Tool will only update the Linx 820, Linx 1020 and Linx 1020 Education.
Internet access is required.
The tablet should be connected to the wall charger doing the update process.
The tool will check for BitLocker Encryption and inform you how to disable it before installation.

Instructions

Download the Linx Firmware Update Tool using the link above.
Once downloaded run and follow the on-screen instructions.
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by stuclark » August 10th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I've just come back and noticed Dan's post - I'm going to try the BIOS update tonight (especially as my 820 *insisted* on downloading the CU update last night)
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Total Computers

by SOELEY » August 19th, 2017, 10:47 am

Hello,

I'm new here and found this forum after just buying a Linx 820 tablet last week. Unfortunately I didn't know about the issues, but straight from the box I just let it do all the updates. The first one I bought I took back to Argos thinking it was faulty, only when the replacement was draining the battery whilst switched off I decided to Google the issue. So thank you for the information.

I have tried updating the BIOS with the new update, but it hasn't made any difference. Does anyone know what the BIOS version/Date should be with the new update? Mine is still showing :

INSYDE Corp. LINX820.I22D.9.13, 17/10/2016

I'm guessing the new BIOS update should have a much more recent date to it.

I am just wondering about doing a full refresh to put it back to out of the box state and then trying the BIOS update again before any Windows updates are installed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated otherwise this one is going back to Argos for a full refund.

by wraggy » August 20th, 2017, 8:16 pm

SOELEY wrote:Hello,

I'm new here and found this forum after just buying a Linx 820 tablet last week. Unfortunately I didn't know about the issues, but straight from the box I just let it do all the updates. The first one I bought I took back to Argos thinking it was faulty, only when the replacement was draining the battery whilst switched off I decided to Google the issue. So thank you for the information.

I have tried updating the BIOS with the new update, but it hasn't made any difference. Does anyone know what the BIOS version/Date should be with the new update? Mine is still showing :

INSYDE Corp. LINX820.I22D.9.13, 17/10/2016

I'm guessing the new BIOS update should have a much more recent date to it.

I am just wondering about doing a full refresh to put it back to out of the box state and then trying the BIOS update again before any Windows updates are installed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated otherwise this one is going back to Argos for a full refund.

Take a look at this thread, viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2754 , probably the issue you're having/had.

I have an open problem with Linx, they've at least one other with the problem and have taken back their tablet to investigate last week, once I have more info back from them I'll post.

Thanks, W

by SOELEY » August 20th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Thanks Wraggy, I will keep my eye on the progress of the that thread.