Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Linx 10V64 Ram speed question : Help (Linx 12)

Linx 10V64 Ram speed question

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Linx 10V64 Ram speed question

by Cliff » January 5th, 2017, 2:06 am

Please could you tell me if the 4GB of DDR3 in a Linx 10V64 is rated for 1600MHz ?
The ram in the 10V64 tablet runs at a much slower 1066MHz by default and I have not observed it changing to any other speed in use.

Using BIOS Frequency A selection I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) will run it at 1600MHz according to something similar shown for a Chuwi tablet, but if too high a ram speed it could freeze it permanently requiring a hardware bios flash to fix and I'm unwilling to risk a brand new tablet.

I deleted my previous unanswered post and remade it here with a few minor changes after finding this is the sub-forum for my tablet and question.

Thanks for any advice and information on the ram or ram settings that you can give.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 10"
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Linx 10V64 Ram speed question

by tbeard » January 11th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure why it clocked down but my 1010 has been too. I'm guessing like you said that going any higher is causing stability issues with the tablet but I've not got the stones to find out :D .

Cheers,
TBeard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010 Light
Retailer: 3Monkeys

by Cliff » January 12th, 2017, 5:44 am

I've put in a request at linxsupport@exertis.co.uk as this forum is mainly for help from other users. I've had an answer but no luck yet, there were a couple of attachments including specifications but nothing in them listing the ram speed so linxsupport is still trying to find that out. I'm glad there's someone that will go to that trouble.

Someone here in the general forum posted pictures of the inside of a Linx Vision with what seems to be Hynix 1600Mhz 11-11-11-11 ram and a Linx 10 with 1600Mhz Samsung ram. At least that's hopeful but I'd be happier if they were the same type of ram which would increase the probability for mine.

If someone here in the forum opened a 10v64 tablet I'm guessing it was closed again so I'm not holding my breath while waiting for an answer. I don't expect anyone to open one without a compelling reason like having to fix it. Luckily I'm very patient. I wonder if I just pop into the bios and.... no must wait must wait. Think I'll check my emails.
Linx User
Linx User

by F0LLETT » January 12th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Cliff wrote:I've put in a request at linxsupport@exertis.co.uk as this forum is mainly for help from other users. I've had an answer but no luck yet, there were a couple of attachments including specifications but nothing in them listing the ram speed so linxsupport is still trying to find that out. I'm glad there's someone that will go to that trouble.

Someone here in the general forum posted pictures of the inside of a Linx Vision with what seems to be Hynix 1600Mhz 11-11-11-11 ram and a Linx 10 with 1600Mhz Samsung ram. At least that's hopeful but I'd be happier if they were the same type of ram which would increase the probability for mine.

If someone here in the forum opened a 10v64 tablet I'm guessing it was closed again so I'm not holding my breath while waiting for an answer. I don't expect anyone to open one without a compelling reason like having to fix it. Luckily I'm very patient. I wonder if I just pop into the bios and.... no must wait must wait. Think I'll check my emails.

Your very lucky, just standard run of the mill questions I asked, they ignored me.
Besides, does memory speed matter. It does what its ment to, so I wouldn't worry. My main gaming rig is 13 years old and runs 800MHz DDR, :). Still keeps up with the latest games.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision

by Cliff » March 7th, 2017, 4:58 am

DANGER: DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT THE SPEED OF THE LINX 10V64 RAM. (skip to final paragraph)

F0LLETT wrote:Your very lucky, just standard run of the mill questions I asked, they ignored me.
Besides, does memory speed matter. It does what its ment to, so I wouldn't worry. My main gaming rig is 13 years old and runs 800MHz DDR, :). Still keeps up with the latest games.

My computer has 800Mhz DDR2 too. Apart from a new videocard and bigger monitor it's the same computer I built back then. I don't remember exactly how old but probably about the same as yours.

For typical games normally installed like Crysis on low to medium settings I agree it would be fine, I could do with a little more oomph from the tablet because I run GTAV on it. I was impressed that it ran once I bought a good Type U3 128GB MicroSD to hold it, but even a tiny improvement makes a difference. Increasing the ram speed to it's default from underclocked typically doesn't increase the temperature much in comparison to the 19% improvement in application speed benchmarked by someone doing it with a different but similarly ram-underclocked tablet. The improvement is likely helped by the Intel GPU using the same ram, it's like an upgrade for the graphics card.

UPDATE:
Here's a little snippet that I discovered using the msdos command WMIC MEMORYCHIP get
The tablet contains Hynix ram which it says is running at 1.5v. I couldn't find any voltage controls or information in the bios to confirm this high value and CpuZ doesn't report the ram voltage but it might mean the ram has been underclocked to maintain battery life or temperature.

UPDATE for 12th February 2017:
I didn't ever get a reply from Linx support for my follow up request to know the ram speed and telling them the type which is very disappointing. I noticed it's rated as 1600Mhz ram on Ebuyer but they often make errors in specifications, sometimes different specifications in the same advert so I can't accept their listed ram speed as accurate, unfortunately.

UPDATE for 25th February 2017:
I sent an updated request and received further technical information, unfortunately it was for 1600Mhz 11-11-11-11 Samsung ram and I know that like many Linx tablets mine contains Hynix so still need a confirmation that the information from their software developer is operationally valid for the actual ram used. Mine runs at 1066Mhz 8-9-11-23 which does not match the expected 7-7-7-7 settings for Hynix ram designed to run at 1066Mhz so it may be the equivalent Hynix 11-11-11-11 1600Mhz ram underclocked. At this point if it was easier or safer to do I'd just open the tablet and have a look.
I also found out myself that the high 1.5v reading is probably just the ram accepting a 1.5v input but operating internally at a much lower 1.35v which some low power Hynix ram is designed to do to make it more compatible with older hardware.

Because I was sent Samsung ram specifications by Linx I think the Chinese company that assembled the tablet may have been cost cutting by substituting cheaper low speed ram, I read on a forum of a Chuwi Hi10 running 4GB of what was supposed to be 1600MHz ram which was set at 1066MHz with 8-9-11-23 timings and when opened contained 1066Mhz ram. Disappointing discovery given the exact match of timings.

FINAL UPDATE for 7th March 2017 :x
DANGER: DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT THE SPEED OF THE LINX 10V64 RAM.

I had the reassurance from Linx support that it was supposed to be 1600Mhz 11:11:11:11 ram even though they listed the wrong manufacturer in the technical specification, so I finally gave in tonight to temptation and changed the single setting that brings it up to the speed it's supposed to be. I don't know what type of Hynix ram there is in my tablet but it is NOT 1600MHz and it almost destroyed my Windows installation before I could get it back to 1066Mhz. Luckily Windows was eventually able to repair itself after I restored the original slow 1066MHz speed.

ADDENDUM:
I decided as I couldn't clock the ram higher I'd use the better Fast ram timings which should be tighter instead of the normal setting, it went from 8-9-11-23 to 8-8-11-23 which is a pathetic improvement, I was hoping for the default Hynix 1066Ghz G2 7-7-7-7 timing but instead it barely changed.
Linx User
Linx User

by naughtymonkey04 » August 9th, 2017, 7:07 pm

How do you manage to put things back to how they where before you changed the ram speed settings. I change the setting in my bios (12v64) after a windows update and now the tablet will not boot up. I changed it to optimal settings and now all I get is the blue led light when its connected to the power. If I hold down the power button to try a hard reset, the blue light goes off.
PLEASE HELP!

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: eBay