Ubuntu partially Working

General chit-chat on the Linx Versare 12"
Themail
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: argois
Windows Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

October 30th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Hey...
Just wanted to let you know that Ubuntu works, well, somehow on the My Linx 12x64.
So Installed Ubuntu 18 using isorespin.sh (Thank you Linuxium).
https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017 ... ation.html.
Few things: system is working when commented nomodeset in GRUB. Thta is the onyl way I can get it to work, without that is just black screen.
That being said no drivers can attach to hardware, in my case at least. So, it works but no drivers, EXCEPT wifi driver which can be found:
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3154.
So in fact you have a working system just no drivers. I am sure that Tech Support can provide us with solution since they provided an easy WIFI fix. So in fact if a similar thing can be done (Please LINX TEAM) for sound and video, maybe bluetoth that would be amazing.
Any input appreciated, so by that I mean if anyone has any ideea how to get drivers to work, fantastic. I can provide more details if needed.

Regards
SpaceGravy

November 27th, 2018, 10:39 am

Hi Themail,

I'm working towards getting Ubuntu 18 working on the Linx 12x64 too, 16.04 seems to run super smooth and there's no lag in unity, but Ubuntu 18 is sluggish, laggy and unresponsive, my only guess is that this is due to the driver issues you mentioned.
I've respun both the 18.04 and 18.10 images using Linuxium's script, but this boots me into ubuntu only to keep freezing and black screening on me, it seems to be a kernel freeze as everything just stops, including GUI/anything on the screen, but when it comes back to life, everything is exactly as it was when it froze, as if nothing happened while it was frozen.

Are you using nomodeset when booting the installer? if so, how do you manage to do so? I'm unable to access the grub command line/editor.
As for the GPU/video drivers, I'm not sure why Ubuntu struggles, as it's previous versions coped perfectly fine, I've even read about audio working in older versions of Ubuntu on the 12x64 so we know it's possible. I'm going to keep working at it and post my findings in this thread, if you could tell me anything useful that you've found so far, that would be fantastic.

Here are the things iI've found:

This may be a useful resource: http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/ ... el-on.html

There is a paragraph on installing UCM files to fix audio, I haven't tried this yet but would be interested to see what it does

It's also where I found the best fix for wifi so far:
https://goo.gl/7MmtLw
Using the above script to install broadcom drivers, paired with the original NVRAM method, seems to completely fix Wifi, to the point where it works even after resuming from sleep.

If your screen is rotated 90 degrees, you can use:

Code: Select all

xrandr -o normal
Be aware, physically rotating your tablet will undo this and you'll be back to square one (if your accelerometer drivers work) There is however, a permanent fix that actually re-aligns your screen rotation according to the acceleromter but I can't remember where I've seen it (I'll post it here if I find it again).

I hope this has been helpful, I'll keep this post updated with any new findings.

-SpaceGravy
F0LLETT
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

December 7th, 2018, 11:10 am

Why even bother with this now. As your using 64 Win10. Install Ubuntu into windows command enviroment.
I only installed linux to code, now I don't even have to, as I can do everything from within windows now.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Xanax
Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: Amazon

December 27th, 2018, 11:38 am

F0LLETT wrote:Why even bother with this now. As your using 64 Win10. Install Ubuntu into windows command enviroment.
I only installed linux to code, now I don't even have to, as I can do everything from within windows now.
Because Windows 10 is slow.
SpaceGravy

January 10th, 2019, 10:24 pm

I managed to get the Ubuntu 19.04 daily installed without using isorespin, it was easy, and installed as expected.

What works:

WiFi (using the fix in my post here: http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3154)
Audio (working out of the box WOOO!!)
Accelerometer/Gyro (Works but screen orientation is set 90 degrees clockwise - Can be fixed using method in OP)
Bluetooth
Brightness adjustment

Things that are broken but can be fixed:

1. The screen goes black (locks/hibernates/sleeps) every 10-20 seconds, highly annoying but can be fixed by entering this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
(to undo this, replace "mask" with "unmask")

This unfortunately stops suspend/lock/hibernate etc. from working, however this fix is required to make the system usable, my first thought is to find another program to handle this stuff and try to link it to the hardware keys as some kind of dirty work around.

2. WiFi does not work but can be fixed as stated above

3. The GUI is laggy, it feels like it's operating at around 15 fps which is not fun to use, Ubuntu 16.04 didn't have this issue so we know there's a way to fix it, but I haven't got that far into the "project" yet, I will update when I've found a fix. (I think it's something to do with the intel graphics driver not loading properly)

Not Tested
1. Camera

2. Ambient light sensors

3. Multitouch

This "project" is something I work on for fun and I don't spend as much time on it as I should, but I hope to eventually provide scripts that help fix things automatically (My bash scripting experience is limited), I might eventually try to put everything together into a single image that can be written to a USB stick and installed to work out of the box, but I don't really know where to start so don't hold your breath on that one.

I hope this helps and I'll try to keep this post updated as I progress.

- SpaceGravy
SpaceGravy

January 11th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Update:
I actually got nearly everything working, I've written out a post which is currently saved as a draft but I need to write a script for it before I post it, keep an eye on the forum you should see it pop up soon.

What's working:

Audio
No more screen blanking
Smooth Operation
Wifi
Screen rotation
automatic onscreen keyboard
hardware buttons
bluetooth
F0LLETT
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

February 2nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

Xanax wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 11:38 am
F0LLETT wrote:Why even bother with this now. As your using 64 Win10. Install Ubuntu into windows command enviroment.
Because Windows 10 is slow.
Only for the average user that thinks bloat ware is normal. I used to love seeing people complain then they have 20 programs running at start up and in background.
SpaceGravy wrote:
Update:
I actually got nearly everything working, I've written out a post which is currently saved as a draft but I need to write a script for it before I post it, keep an eye on the forum you should see it pop up soon.

What's working:

Audio
No more screen blanking
Smooth Operation
Wifi
Screen rotation
hardware buttons
bluetooth
Nice one, gives others an option.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
mrgreaper
Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: amazon

February 22nd, 2019, 3:43 am

SpaceGravy wrote:
Update:

What's working:

Audio
No more screen blanking
Smooth Operation
Wifi
Screen rotation
hardware buttons
bluetooth
Do you have an update on this?

Have been trying all day to get an alternative to windows 10 on my Linx 12x64

so far I have had two successes both with major downfalls

1) I got chromeos to install and work beautifully using this guide (hmmm I cant link to the guide! if you google "install chrome os" the guide is the one that talks about "CloudReady", a few do) it ran like a dream from the usb, 5g wifi, no screen flickering, correct rotation, clear image.....but no sound at all! (critical issue for my useage) now technically this is a cloudready chrome os so maybe a real chrome os will do it but I am clueless in this area.

2) ubuntu 19.04, thanks to this thread I managed to stop it going black screen every few minutes....seems to have sound and I fixed the rotation as mentioned above....but there is a snag, the instructions to fix the wifi require you to have wifi O.o cant "get" files if you dont have internet access. Also since I frequently use my tablet in public I need the ability to lock the screen.

Now I noticed that the fix for the wifi is getting the drivers from the chromos repository (well chromiumos) I am wondering if that means we can use the ubuntu 19.04 audio drivers on chromeos ? this would be my preferred solution as chromeos rotates fully and can be locked lol but I have zero ideas on how to solve it
zatoichy
Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: Laptopoutlet

May 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

Hi,

Is there any update on "How to" install Ubuntu 19.04 on Linx 12x64?

Thank you
mrgreaper
Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: amazon

May 29th, 2019, 11:50 am

zatoichy wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:24 am
Hi,

Is there any update on "How to" install Ubuntu 19.04 on Linx 12x64?

Thank you
My advice is to save to replace the tablet.
Shortly after my post my 12x64 stopped being able to charge while on rendering it somewhat useless.
Reset it to factory settings, tried different OS's nothing worked. Apparently it's a common problem with Linx tablets with no solution. Never buying Linx again. I am back to lugging a full sized old laptop about as u cant afford to replace my linx, so take my advice save up while it's working