12x64 Android WiFi Fix (and possibly other linux distros)  [Solved]

General chit-chat on the Linx Versare 12"
SpaceGravy

March 19th, 2018, 7:42 pm

In order to get the Wireless Card working with android (Currently only tested on the latest release of Phoenix OS which is based on 7.1) you will need the following things:

1. A USB drive to transfer files to your offline tablet (or a wifi dongle to download it, or any other way of getting files to the device)
2. The Original NVRAM file from the windows 10 wifi drivers (or the file from the link in step 1)
3. A tiny bit of Patience.

You'll need root permissions in order to write the NVRAM file to the firmware folder.

For those who know how to do this kind of thing, TLDR: rename the NVRAM file from the "wifi" folder from the original windows 10 drivers to "brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt" and place it in lib/firmware/brcm/ on your 12x64 with android installed then reboot your device and you should be able to use WiFi.

For those that need a little more explanation:

1. Download the this file:
2. Copy the file to a USB drive.
3. On your tablet, WITH ANDROID INSTALLED use a root enabled file explorer (I recommend ES File Explorer) to copy the file you downloaded, from the USB drive, to this location on your tablet: "/lib/firmware/brcm/"
4. make sure the file has copied successfully, then reboot.

If the file copied successfully, once your device reboots, the WiFi should be working, I've only tried this on Phoenix OS which is based on Android 7.1.

There are still a few bugs, sometimes, when locking and unlocking the device, the driver stops working and you may need to restart the tablet.

If anyone has any tips on how to do this easier, please leave a comment.
I'd love to see more tutorials like this for the 12x64 as there are still some things that I cannot get working like audio and cameras, but there just doesn't seem to be many yet.

Link to original 12x64 driver page: http://support.linxtablets.com/Products/Linx12X64/

!!Update!!

For users unable to replace the brcm file, getting the read only errors, when installing android, make sure you install the /system as read/write when prompted.

Then you need to use a terminal emulator in android to input this:
1. su
2. mount -o rw,remount /dev/loop1 /system

Then you should be able to replace the file.
Last edited by SpaceGravy on June 23rd, 2018, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezhayes
Linx Tablet: --- New Models ---
Retailer: ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

April 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I really want to give this a go with Ubuntu now, but it will have to wait a few weeks until I have submitted my uni assignments. It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has any luck before I get round to it.
SpaceGravy

April 27th, 2018, 10:27 am

jezhayes wrote:I really want to give this a go with Ubuntu now, but it will have to wait a few weeks until I have submitted my uni assignments. It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has any luck before I get round to it.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, I think as long as you can find where the "brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt" should go, it will work (there are lots of similar files in the BRCM folder).

I have currently moved on to other stuff at the moment but I'll probably end up trying Ubuntu on the tablet at some point, I'd like to be able to start making a 12x64 version of ubuntu that has all settings and drivers needed, but I don't even know how to make an install ISO for a distro.
concledore
Retailer: PC World
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

June 4th, 2018, 3:21 pm

I tried to copy the file to the correct destination but it's saying i don't have the required permissions, i've tried rooting the device and still doesn't seem to be working, any ideas? maybe i'm not rooting correctly?
concledore
Retailer: PC World
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

June 4th, 2018, 3:21 pm

I tried to copy the file to the correct destination but it's saying i don't have the required permissions, i've tried rooting the device and still doesn't seem to be working, any ideas? maybe i'm not rooting correctly?
SpaceGravy

June 19th, 2018, 1:44 pm

concledore wrote:I tried to copy the file to the correct destination but it's saying i don't have the required permissions, i've tried rooting the device and still doesn't seem to be working, any ideas? maybe i'm not rooting correctly?
I had this same problem when trying to change the file while running the OS from a USB drive, in order for this tutorial to work, you'll need to have the operating system installed.

If it is installed and this is still the case search the error on google, I think this is a common issue across different linux distributions and it requires you to run a quick command to allow access to certain files.
I cannot actually remember whether this occurred with my attempt or if/how I fixed it, but I'll have a look around and report back soon.

!!Update!!
When installing android, make sure you install the /system as read/write when prompted.

Then you need to use a terminal emulator in android to input this:
1. su
2. mount -o rw,remount /dev/loop1 /system

you should then be able to replace the file
krikey
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: Ebuyer.com
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

September 2nd, 2018, 7:46 am

I managed to drop the correct .txt file into the /lib/firmware/brcm folder after rooting Phoenix and allowing root control in ES Explorer (which I installed from an APK), however, despite the file brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt existing and I can edit its content, I was unable to see any wireless networks.

I checked the permissions of other similar txt files in the same folder and they were "rw,r,r" so I adjusted the new file to the same, but not luck...

...and then I realised I had downloaded and installed the Android 5.1.1 version of Phoenix OS not the Android 7.1 version. Starting again silly n00b!!!