Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Ubuntu partially Working : General (Linx 12)

Ubuntu partially Working

General chit-chat on the Linx Versare 12"

Ubuntu partially Working

by Themail » October 30th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Hey...
Just wanted to let you know that Ubuntu works, well, somehow on the My Linx 12x64.
So Installed Ubuntu 18 using isorespin.sh (Thank you Linuxium).
https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/06/customizing-ubuntu-isos-documentation.html.
Few things: system is working when commented nomodeset in GRUB. Thta is the onyl way I can get it to work, without that is just black screen.
That being said no drivers can attach to hardware, in my case at least. So, it works but no drivers, EXCEPT wifi driver which can be found:
http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3154.
So in fact you have a working system just no drivers. I am sure that Tech Support can provide us with solution since they provided an easy WIFI fix. So in fact if a similar thing can be done (Please LINX TEAM) for sound and video, maybe bluetoth that would be amazing.
Any input appreciated, so by that I mean if anyone has any ideea how to get drivers to work, fantastic. I can provide more details if needed.

Regards

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: argois
Windows Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Ubuntu partially Working

by SpaceGravy » November 27th, 2018, 10:39 am

Hi Themail,

I'm working towards getting Ubuntu 18 working on the Linx 12x64 too, 16.04 seems to run super smooth and there's no lag in unity, but Ubuntu 18 is sluggish, laggy and unresponsive, my only guess is that this is due to the driver issues you mentioned.
I've respun both the 18.04 and 18.10 images using Linuxium's script, but this boots me into ubuntu only to keep freezing and black screening on me, it seems to be a kernel freeze as everything just stops, including GUI/anything on the screen, but when it comes back to life, everything is exactly as it was when it froze, as if nothing happened while it was frozen.

Are you using nomodeset when booting the installer? if so, how do you manage to do so? I'm unable to access the grub command line/editor.
As for the GPU/video drivers, I'm not sure why Ubuntu struggles, as it's previous versions coped perfectly fine, I've even read about audio working in older versions of Ubuntu on the 12x64 so we know it's possible. I'm going to keep working at it and post my findings in this thread, if you could tell me anything useful that you've found so far, that would be fantastic.

Here are the things iI've found:

This may be a useful resource: http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/03/running-ubuntu-with-upstream-kernel-on.html

There is a paragraph on installing UCM files to fix audio, I haven't tried this yet but would be interested to see what it does

It's also where I found the best fix for wifi so far:
https://goo.gl/7MmtLw
Using the above script to install broadcom drivers, paired with the original NVRAM method, seems to completely fix Wifi, to the point where it works even after resuming from sleep.

If your screen is rotated 90 degrees, you can use:
Code: Select all
xrandr -o normal
Be aware, physically rotating your tablet will undo this and you'll be back to square one (if your accelerometer drivers work) There is however, a permanent fix that actually re-aligns your screen rotation according to the acceleromter but I can't remember where I've seen it (I'll post it here if I find it again).

I hope this has been helpful, I'll keep this post updated with any new findings.

-SpaceGravy
SpaceGravy/Ross
Linx 12x64
Learning Technologist
Linux Enthusiast

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: Ubuntu partially Working

by F0LLETT » December 7th, 2018, 11:10 am

Why even bother with this now. As your using 64 Win10. Install Ubuntu into windows command enviroment.
I only installed linux to code, now I don't even have to, as I can do everything from within windows now.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home