Remove Advertisement

Latest windows annaversary update causing problems.

Latest windows annaversary update causing problems.

Postby adwol48 » October 4th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Hey folks my linx 7 seems to have downloaded via windows update a bios. Didnt notice as the tablet did this on a schedule. Luckily i had the power cable plugged in. I only know this because i glanced at the tablet whilst the update was in progress. I came back this afternoon and now cant seem to turn it on. Press and held power and tried volume up and power but the tabkwt doesnt display anything. The power led is active as it is still plugged in, when i press the power button it flashes then goes back to being steady again. Any ideas how to solve this
adwol48
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Tesco
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Windows update installed what looked like a bios update

Postby F0LLETT » October 5th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Windows will never install bios updates. So you can rule that out. Have tried holding power button for a minute?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

Postby adwol48 » October 6th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Yeah tried holding power for over a minute with and without usb power lead inserted get no reaction with no usb power with usb obviously get the blue charging led and that will blink but screen remains off and system doesnt boot at all. From what i can remember it looked like a bios update but if memory serves it did mention something about a micro code update on the screen. It was just a black screen with just some text about backing up data and then uploading new data and erasing the backup. For the life of me i cant remember what the update was called
adwol48
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby benharris » October 6th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Sorry to hear this, but I'm kind-of glad you've posted here as mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. After restarting Windows, it went into some kind of 'firmware update' screen, and then processed about 12 lines of text detailing existing version numbers, and the version number it was updating to. Then it died! Exactly the same as yours sounds like it did - it won't turn on at all. I'm guessing that something has killed the BIOS on it and that the only way to recover it is to re-flash the BIOS EEPROM manually. There's a post on here somewhere describing how to do it, but it's not for the feint-hearted. I've ordered the relevant EEPROM writer and cable adapter from China, as this was the next thing I was going to try before giving up and concluding that it's dead beyond repair - because that's how it looks at the moment..

I was using my Linx 7 purely to run a single application to talk to my car's ECU. As such, it was an almost vanilla Windows 10 installation, with only a a single dedicated application installed. I can absolutely guarantee that I hadn't downloaded anything that might have caused this to happen. The only thing that can have caused it was that Windows Update was turned on and was up-to-date.

I reckon we're going to see a few more people reporting this over the next few days/weeks.
benharris
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Game

Postby benharris » October 6th, 2016, 11:46 pm

F0LLETT wrote:Windows will never install bios updates. So you can rule that out.

That's what I would would have said too, up until yesterday what I saw my Linx 7 do exactly that!
benharris
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby benharris » October 6th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Looks like Microsoft released a set of firmware updates for some of it's 'Surface' devices 2 days ago via Windows Update. I wonder if this is what has been installed somehow on our tablets?

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sur ... surface-3/

I could be completely wrong, but it's just a thought...
benharris
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby F0LLETT » October 7th, 2016, 6:40 am

Well if thats the case. It would mean m$ are in deep do do.
If it were the case though, everyone would be having this issue.

I have just checked my Vision and last update was 1 oct. Just checked for updates and there are none.
I will check Linx7 clone later.

If it has installed a surface pro firmware update, without any user input, then that is disgusting.
I would have thought maybe a screen firmware update (as screen normally have their own firmware to control touch input).
However there must have been something on the tablets that identify it as a surface pro for that to happen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

Postby benharris » October 7th, 2016, 8:56 am

At the moment, the "Microsoft Surface" update is just speculation on my part - it was something that came up when I Googled to find out what Windows updates had been rolled out recently that had anything 'firmware' related in the title. I've nothing to back-up that this is the direct cause and am quite probably wrong about this being the cause. All I know is that it is definitely something that has been downloaded automatically and installed itself with no input on my part, and resulted in a 'bricked' tablet.

Once the EEPROM programmer bits arrive, if it successfully manages to resurrect the tablet, I'll be able to look at the Windows update history to see what got installed. Until then, I'd urge anyone who reads this to be very cautious about what Windows updates you allow on your tablet as this is definitely a 'hardware bricked' not just a 'software bricked'!
benharris
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby adwol48 » October 7th, 2016, 9:12 am

Glad to know its not just me. If your manul bios flash works you'll have to let me know so i can attempt it myself. I've never even entered the bios on this tablet as i've never felt the need to but i have run quite a few apps via it so my install is a little bigger than yours but most where installed to the micro sd card and not the internal memory
adwol48
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

windows 10 update killed my linx 10

Postby matlock67 » October 7th, 2016, 9:16 am

My linx did an automatic update yesterday, it looks like it erased the bios/firmware
I get no response from tablet what'so ever now.
No boot screen, nothing.
The charge light lights if I plug in my charger, but that's it.

My tablet was always upto date with windows patches as it was used daily, so its a recent update that's killed it.

I presume ill have to try and flash the bios to give a jump start.

Anybody have this issue recently? Are the instruction still valid for win 10 flash with the bios on the downloads page.
matlock67
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples

Next

Return to Accessories (Linx Vision)