Remove Advertisement

General Tweaks and Guides for Linx Vision

General Tweaks and Guides for Linx Vision

Postby F0LLETT » January 30th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I've put this all in one post as I had posted in lots of different threads and people requested it as a guide.
Be aware Im not responsible (nor this site or manufacturers) for any damage to your device, its provided as is. It works fine for me and my Vision. Before you start, back up your files, just incase something goes wrong. Don't proceed with anything if your not sure.

BIOS changes I made.
There's hardly any information on the UEFI BIOS anywhere on the net, so can only guess at some of the options.

Main menu - Advanced

Sub Main menu - Video Configuration
IGD - DVMT Pre-Allocated (altered to 128MB) - Gives GFX card 128MB of dedicated memory from overall system RAM.
IGD Boost - (Altered to Enabled) - Intels speed boost technolgy, boosts GPU clock speed when needed.

Sub Main menu - Chipset Configuration
Sub Menu - USB Configuration

USB PORT #2 (altered to disabled) - No point it being Enabled as its not even used.

Sub Main menu - Miscellaneous Configuration
HPET - HPET Suport (Default Enabled) - High Precision Event Timer - Can help increase speed by decreasing latency.

Sub Main menu - Thermal Configuration
Sub Menu - Intel DPTF

Allow High Performance (altered to Enabled) - Allow use of High Performance mode?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HPET (High Presision Event Timer).

TSC+LAPICs Low performance (slow timers + syncing)
LAPICs low performance (slow timer - no syncing)
TSC+HPET medium performance (slow and fast timer + syncing)
HPET high performance (fast timer - no syncing)
HPET + platformclock=true (lowest DPC latency possible)

For some reason the Vision has HPET enabled in bios but not in the OS. This mixes the timers and can cause latency, as CPU has to calculate between them.

Download and extract the following bat files;
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
There is one to add and one to remove bcd value. Remember to run as admin.

To check that the setting has correctly been entered, open command prompt (admin) and type the following;
bcdedit /enum
This will display the current contents of the bcd, right at the bottom, it should state "useplatformclock yes".
Once your happy its correct, reboot.

Some have found, that disabling HPET in the BIOS helps in the same way as enabling full HPET using the above.
You will have to try for yourself and see which is best for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forcing windows to see 256MB Dedicated Video RAM.

In BIOS alter;
IGD - DVMT Pre-Allocated (set to 256MB)

Download and extract the following reg files;
There is one to add and one to remove registry value. Remember to run as admin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enabling extra Power Schemes

To Enable extra Power Schemes, you need to disable CS (Connected Standby).
Use the following Download which contains a reg file to disable CS and add extra Power Schemes.

Remember you will loose your standby and hibernation if CS is disabled.

SD Host / Controller Drivers - Revised

To solve problems with large SD cards. I spent days trying to solve this.
I went into bios and then under Chipset, USB. I disabled USB PORT 2.
I managed to find the right combination of drivers that allowed my 128GB to work perfectly.

Install the following with "have disk" in update driver.

1)Update Driver Software.
2)Browse My Computer for driver software.
3)Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
4)Have Disk.
5)Browse.
6)Point to correct folder as detailed below.
7)OK.
8)Next.

It will now install the driver, if it says its not signed, ignore and install.
If it asks to restart / reset, say NO. Change all drivers then restart.

Disk Drives, (name will vary) SD Card (only visable when SD card is in slot).
Use disk.inf_x86_4acaaa13530814b9 folder.

SD host adapters, Intel SD Host Controller (there is 3 of them, do same for each).
Use sdbus.inf_x86_c83c0a6e5a47667c folder.

Storage controllers, SD Storage Class Controller (there is 2 of them, so same for each).
Use sdstor.inf_x86_f47e19133e18faa2 folder.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft).
Use usbxhci.inf_x86_e794121e3de25a3c folder.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers, USB Root Hub (xHCI).
Use usbhub3.inf_x86_bc2693c762388426 folder.

Also make sure "USB Selective Suspend" is disabled and the device "Allow computer to shut down device" unticked.

General Windows Tweaks

High CPU / Disk usage

I found the CPU and HDD usage was high. This caused machine to heat up and run slow.
To solve this constant usage (not needed in my opinion), you need to disable SuperFetch service.

Open Command prompt (admin) and type the following;
services.msc
The services window will now open.

Stop, Superfetch (for me this was causing steam to hang and crash (right click, and select stop)). (right click again) Now go into the properties and change to disabled.

Windows Update issues

First try this;
Windows update trouble shooter

else try this;

Download and extract the following bat files;
There is one to stop and one to start update. Remember to run as admin.

Run the StopUpdate_Service.bat
Next goto C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete the contents of the folder. (If files wont delete, restart tablet and repeat the above. Folder has to be completely empty).
Then Run the StartUpdate_Service.bat

Once, thats done. Run windows update again.

Backing up Windows Licence Key

Even though its stored on the bios (not sure on others) of the Vision. Doesn't hurt to have it just incase.
I used this program called showkey. It displays all keys used on device and lets you save it as a text file.
Handy if your BIOS gets flashed and windows wants your key.

Backing up the drivers currently being used on your device

Start powershell (admin) and type the following (it can take about 5 mins to complete).

Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination D:\DriverBackup <-Adjust destination as required.
Last edited by F0LLETT on March 28th, 2016, 9:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: General Tweaks and Guides for Linx Vision

Postby netslut » January 30th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Hi, I'm trying to update the SD card drivers, but despite pointing to each of the directories inside the Drivers_changed list, all I get is a Driver not compatible message.

Could the hardware have changed? Or is the latest versions of Windows broken maybe...?
netslut

Retailer: GAME

Postby F0LLETT » January 30th, 2016, 10:03 pm

netslut wrote:Hi, I'm trying to update the SD card drivers, but despite pointing to each of the directories inside the Drivers_changed list, all I get is a Driver not compatible message.

Could the hardware have changed? Or is the latest versions of Windows broken maybe...?

Bit more information would be helpful, as windows always gives the default big box with lots of this isnt compatible junk and you just click install anyway. Before trying to install, view the current driver file details. It will tell what its actually loading, i.e. sdbus.sys.

EDIT:- Updated text to say which driver is which. For disk drive. you have to select the sd card under disk drive and update.
Resolute and Industrious
F0LLETT

Postby Ryberius » February 1st, 2016, 3:21 pm

Hi im trying run the reg files do disable cs but is giving me an error message cannot import not all data was successfully written to the registry. any idea what im doing wrong?
EDIT: I found a way around it and got it working! so far so good SD card working well!!! Thanks man.
Ryberius
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Currys

Postby F0LLETT » February 1st, 2016, 10:23 pm

Ryberius wrote:Hi im trying run the reg files do disable cs but is giving me an error message cannot import not all data was successfully written to the registry. any idea what im doing wrong?
EDIT: I found a way around it and got it working! so far so good SD card working well!!! Thanks man.

Im guessing you were not running bat as admin.
Resolute and Industrious
F0LLETT

Postby F0LLETT » February 21st, 2016, 1:55 am

First post updated, revised SD card issues fix.
Resolute and Industrious
F0LLETT

Postby bezussj » March 2nd, 2016, 3:54 am

Hi F0LLETT

Thanks for the detailed post, it's great.

Problem I'm having is that when using the "have disk" option to install drivers I can't find folders named exactly as you've listed them.

For example
Yours: sdbus.inf_x86_c83c0a6e5a47667c
Mine: sdbus.inf_x86_3f6cf6ca4662a880

The only place I can find folders like this is in system32/DriverStore/FileRepository/, but from my understanding those are just the drivers in use currently

Should I be searching elsewhere?
bezussj

Retailer: Game

Postby F0LLETT » March 2nd, 2016, 8:36 am

bezussj wrote:Hi F0LLETT

Thanks for the detailed post, it's great.

Problem I'm having is that when using the "have disk" option to install drivers I can't find folders named exactly as you've listed them.

For example
Yours: sdbus.inf_x86_c83c0a6e5a47667c
Mine: sdbus.inf_x86_3f6cf6ca4662a880

The only place I can find folders like this is in system32/DriverStore/FileRepository/, but from my understanding those are just the drivers in use currently

Should I be searching elsewhere?

It doesn't matter. You open the folder I provided and select driver, then install.
Resolute and Industrious
F0LLETT

Postby bezussj » March 2nd, 2016, 10:09 am

Sorry if I've been unclear, and thanks for the timely response.

So the names I have, with the end sections being different to the ones you listed don't matter? Or is it simply that the location I've defaulted to is different to where you yourself would have? Or is there a download somewhere in missing?

What I'm saying is that I don't have any folders matching any of the names you provided in that section, at least not that I can find. They start out with the same names, but the latter hexadecimal based portion of the folder name is different.

The reason I ask is that if the end section being different doesnt matter and their in the DriverStore, then these should be the drivers Windows is already using, as that's where Windows (from 7 onward) moves drivers before allowing installation/use

Thanks again for any help
bezussj

Retailer: Game

Postby F0LLETT » March 2nd, 2016, 11:35 pm

bezussj wrote:Sorry if I've been unclear, and thanks for the timely response.

So the names I have, with the end sections being different to the ones you listed don't matter? Or is it simply that the location I've defaulted to is different to where you yourself would have? Or is there a download somewhere in missing?

What I'm saying is that I don't have any folders matching any of the names you provided in that section, at least not that I can find. They start out with the same names, but the latter hexadecimal based portion of the folder name is different.

The reason I ask is that if the end section being different doesnt matter and their in the DriverStore, then these should be the drivers Windows is already using, as that's where Windows (from 7 onward) moves drivers before allowing installation/use

Thanks again for any help

Not sure why you went looking for folders. I could name them anything, its really doesn't matter. It will install them to the correct locations.
I think numbers are random. I have different ones since I reinstalled, but they are the same drivers.
Resolute and Industrious
F0LLETT

Next

Return to Help (Linx Vision)