Installing Windows 10 *64 Bit*

CursonMortis
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Laptops Direct
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

August 16th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Has anyone successfully upgraded the Linx Vision 8 to a 64 bit OS? If so, how could one go about getting this done?
Gamr13
Retailer: CeX
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

August 18th, 2018, 8:36 am

It's fairly easy enough, I'd recommend downloading the driver pack - or making a backup of your own first.
The only issue I came across was WiFi didn't work. I didn't bother trying to fix it so I just went back to the 32-bit OS.
F0LLETT
Retailer: Argos

September 11th, 2018, 10:37 am

Gamr13 wrote:It's fairly easy enough, I'd recommend downloading the driver pack - or making a backup of your own first.
The only issue I came across was WiFi didn't work. I didn't bother trying to fix it so I just went back to the 32-bit OS.
More information, as no one has been able to simply install 64Bit. As far as I know, no one has even been able to do it as 32bit bios blocks it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
90Ninety
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Retailer: Currys

October 12th, 2018, 11:22 am

Why on earth would you install 64 bit , 32 bit is bloated enough !
You can only learn how to fix things , if you learn to break them first .
F0LLETT

October 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm

90Ninety wrote:Why on earth would you install 64 bit , 32 bit is bloated enough !
Errrm, Vision has a 64bit processor, we are forced to use 32bit OS, which is a bottleneck in itself.
Plus alot of newer software will only run on 64bit. Vision in my opinion is not bloated. It installs same crap with clean iso.
So I wouldn't worry, as windows 10 is designed to run on low ram devices and does a pretty good job.
Resolute and Industrious
90Ninety
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

October 14th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Even if 64 bit worked ( which maybe a challenge as the UEFI BIOS may not support it ) , you will have non stop issues and it will be bloated in terms of storage - good luck updating it also !

In my experience , ( i have repaired and ran support desks for years ) Windows 32 bit trumps 64 bit on low power devices for light duty usage . 64Bit is fine if you have a computer with at least 4GB of RAM and anything other than a budget CPU .

I get that in theory 64 bit is faster/ more advanced, though has never been the case for all of the low end machines I have had to maintain .

They say experience is more valuable than knowledge - just my two pence !
F0LLETT

October 15th, 2018, 11:32 am

90Ninety wrote:Even if 64 bit worked ( which maybe a challenge as the UEFI BIOS may not support it ) , you will have non stop issues and it will be bloated in terms of storage - good luck updating it also !

In my experience , ( i have repaired and ran support desks for years ) Windows 32 bit trumps 64 bit on low power devices for light duty usage . 64Bit is fine if you have a computer with at least 4GB of RAM and anything other than a budget CPU .

I get that in theory 64 bit is faster/ more advanced, though has never been the case for all of the low end machines I have had to maintain .

They say experience is more valuable than knowledge - just my two pence !
Yes, for people who are just average users. I personally want 64bit, just so I can install ubuntu command line. Be nice to code on the Vision.
Best feature Windows 10 introduced, it was a pain, switching back and for from linux and windows.
Resolute and Industrious
90Ninety
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

October 15th, 2018, 11:38 am

F0LLETT wrote: Yes, for people who are just average users. I personally want 64bit, just so I can install ubuntu command line. Be nice to code on the Vision.
Best feature Windows 10 introduced, it was a pain, switching back and for from linux and windows.
Fair Point .

I would suggest staying well away 64bit with the vision , unless you have a specific app or function you want to use .

Ive installed x64 windows on machines with 32GB primary drives - nothing but a royal PITA
F0LLETT

October 15th, 2018, 11:45 am

90Ninety wrote:
F0LLETT wrote: Yes, for people who are just average users. I personally want 64bit, just so I can install ubuntu command line. Be nice to code on the Vision.
Fair Point .

I would suggest staying well away 64bit with the vision , unless you have a specific app or function you want to use .

Ive installed x64 windows on machines with 32GB primary drives - nothing but a royal PITA
Yes, but new windows features help solve update issues. Last update, I was prompted to use external storage to up date.
Seems someone with some brains has finally got there way at M$.

Speaking of specific apps. I bet they just want 64bit to play GTA5 (not hacked 32Bit EXE). I already hammer my Vision and I wouldn't even atempt to run that game. Since Tablet Pro added XBox onscreen controller, its awesome for hammering on the move, :).
Resolute and Industrious