How to install Windows 10 64-bit

The game-changer that is the Linx Vision is coming soon, talk about the beast here!
Gamr13
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: CeX
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

October 14th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Hi there everyone,

So, if you're like me, you'll find some things you want to install that just don't have 32-bit ports anymore, or are very out of date.
I decided to put this guide here to help out with people having issues installing Windows 10 64-bit on their Linx Vision.

First things first, grab yourself a Windows 10 All-in-One ISO ones with 32-bit AND 64-bit versions of Windows 10, this is important as our UEFI is 32-bit, and with a Windows 10 All-in-One ISO we should have the 32-bit boot files needed in order to boot to the installer and then proceed to select a 64-bit install.

Secondly, I'd recommend using Rufus in order to create your bootable USB flash drive, make sure it's set to MBR and FAT32.

Thirdly, disable Secure Boot if you haven't already.

Proceed to install the ISO on your tablet (Note: If it doesn't detect your drive, the ISO you downloaded doesn't have 32-bit boot files)

After you've installed Windows 10 64-bit you may notice that you don't have WiFi, so what do you do? Go back to your BIOS and enable Secure Boot, save and reboot, and you should have WiFI again.
markiemarcus
Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

October 14th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. Will give it a try over the next few days!
markiemarcus

October 15th, 2018, 7:09 am

No joy I'm afraid! The ISOs boot, but:

The official mixed mode media provides a bit selection prompt before booting the installer. This crashes upon selecting 64bit.

The unofficial AIO disc I've tried from TeamOS offers a bit selection within the installer GUI itself, but this fails to start with a Recovery blue screen stating "This 64-bit application couldn't load because your PC doesn't have a 64-bit processor."

So what we actually need is an AIO disc that boots a 32-bit installer. I'll try some older AIO ISOs and see if any play ball.
Last edited by markiemarcus on October 15th, 2018, 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
markiemarcus

October 15th, 2018, 7:53 am

It is odd that Windows (or perhaps its bootloader) is so pedantic about this. It's a fairly recent change, but Fedora 29 (currently in beta but final release at the end of this month) installs in 64-bit with out-of-the box support for wifi, audio and touch screen. Gamepad dock seems to work fine. Screen rotation is off axis, but that's not hard to fix or ignore with screen lock.

Driver packs for W10 don't seem to be needed at all by the way. If you have an OTG dock with keyboard and mouse, just create a clean USB installer from the Media Creation tool, run Windows Update and restart a few times. Nothing else is needed other than a full charge (because charging won't work correctly within Windows until one of the Intel drivers updates itself).
F0LLETT
Retailer: Argos

October 15th, 2018, 11:22 am

Gamr13 wrote:Hi there everyone,

So, if you're like me, you'll find some things you want to install that just don't have 32-bit ports anymore, or are very out of date.
I decided to put this guide here to help out with people having issues installing Windows 10 64-bit on their Linx Vision.

First things first, grab yourself a Windows 10 All-in-One ISO ones with 32-bit AND 64-bit versions of Windows 10, this is important as our UEFI is 32-bit, and with a Windows 10 All-in-One ISO we should have the 32-bit boot files needed in order to boot to the installer and then proceed to select a 64-bit install.

Secondly, I'd recommend using Rufus in order to create your bootable USB flash drive, make sure it's set to MBR and FAT32.

Proceed to install the ISO on your tablet (Note: If it doesn't detect your drive, the ISO you downloaded doesn't have 32-bit boot files)

After you've installed Windows 10 64-bit you may notice that you don't have WiFi, so what do you do? Go back to your BIOS and enable Secure Boot, save and reboot, and you should have WiFI again.

Post proof please, cause some of the most technical minds have not been able to do it. Then you post a simple guide where your mixing 32bit boot files with 64bit OS. It wont work.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
markiemarcus

October 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I've actually managed to get it installed using an RTM AIO 8-in-1 found on GetIntoPC, so it's been a useful lead for me. It fails on boot however. Going to try a few other ISOs.
Gamr13
Retailer: CeX
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

October 15th, 2018, 5:46 pm

F0LLETT wrote:

Post proof please, cause some of the most technical minds have not been able to do it. Then you post a simple guide where your mixing 32bit boot files with 64bit OS. It wont work.

As much as I'd love to, I reverted to 32-bit because of the WiFi issue that I - at the time, couldn't figure out.
I will be picking this up again soon as I think I found the ISO I used on an external HDD and I'll do a step-by-step remake of this post with images and proper proof. Yes, a 64-bit Windows 10 install is possible and I have indeed gotten it working almost flawlessly bar WiFi before, I think rotation was another issue, but that was easily fixed with the Intel HD Graphics control panel.
F0LLETT
Retailer: Argos

October 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Gamr13 wrote:
F0LLETT wrote:

I wouldn't have given up so easly. Wifi is known issue after install / update. You have to mess around in control panel. Rotation will be reg issues, where it doesn't know its a tablet and sets reg settings to to no rotation or disables sensors.

As much as I'd love to, I reverted to 32-bit because of the WiFi issue that I - at the time, couldn't figure out.
I will be picking this up again soon as I think I found the ISO I used on an external HDD and I'll do a step-by-step remake of this post with images and proper proof. Yes, a 64-bit Windows 10 install is possible and I have indeed gotten it working almost flawlessly bar WiFi before, I think rotation was another issue, but that was easily fixed with the Intel HD Graphics control panel.
Hmmm, my post didnt post.

Wifi is known issue, you have to mess around in device manager. Rotation, will be disabled in reg or sensors turned off. Had this a few times. I wouldn't have given up so easly, I would have stuck with it. Can you upload iso (not here though, not sure on MS's policy on iso's even though its free to download), I wouldn't mind playing around with it.

Just want 64Bit for Linux functionality. Compiling on Vision would be cool.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
LordZombies
Retailer: Cex

February 5th, 2019, 8:47 am

Hey, can anyone make a step by step tutorial for this? I thought i already had a bootable windows 10 32/64 bit usb, but it wont open on the linxs vision.