Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Headphone Interference : General (Linx Vision)

Headphone Interference

The game-changer that is the Linx Vision is coming soon, talk about the beast here!

Headphone Interference

by hazkirby » December 31st, 2015, 9:25 am

Hi

I picked up a Linx Vision from Currys yesterday.

All great apart from when plugging a standard pair of headphones in (tried multiple)

I get a constant buzzing/white noise/interference sound.

When I type on the tablet I can here each key press, its like electrical interference from the screen/me

Has anyone else not had this experience? I am hoping to go to swap it today. But if its a common issue I'll just get a pair of bluetooth headphones

Thank you!

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Currys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Headphone Interference

by Dogpitt » January 4th, 2016, 8:21 pm

hazkirby wrote:Hi

I picked up a Linx Vision from Currys yesterday.

All great apart from when plugging a standard pair of headphones in (tried multiple)

I get a constant buzzing/white noise/interference sound.

When I type on the tablet I can here each key press, its like electrical interference from the screen/me

Has anyone else not had this experience? I am hoping to go to swap it today. But if its a common issue I'll just get a pair of bluetooth headphones

Thank you!

I have the exact same issue so it must be common. Hopefully nothing more that a driver that needs sorting.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Argos

by Se34se » January 6th, 2016, 10:32 pm

I am also now on my second tablet, still the same problem. I have been in touch with the support team but they seem very slow at replying and not a great deal of help at present!!

by HandSlander » January 10th, 2016, 11:34 am

There are two easy workarounds for a headphone interference issue for all windows computers/laptops/tablets.

The workarounds stem from the issue that the Vision is outputting an analog signal (hence you are connecting an analog 3.5mm cable), and analog outputs are usually subject to some form of interference due to the current running through the circuit or poor quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the device. I'm not sure what the problem is here but it will be nigh on impossible to clean the analog signal coming through the jack without re-engineering the device.

So we need to bypass the analog output signal/onboard DAC and capture the digital output.

Option 1)
- Install a 3rd party USB soundcard. There are many options, but these soundcards receive the digital audio output (1s and 0s) from the device and use their own onboard DAC to convert to convert to a 3.5mm audio output free from major interference. Generally the more expensive the soundcard the more features, better quality and better SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio)/noise floor you will get.
- I own an Asus Xonar U3 which is pretty cheap (£20) and also offers virtual surround sound. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Xonaru3-Mo ... B004ZI5E1S

Option 2)
- Some headphones connect via USB, and therfore receive Digital rather than Analog outputs from the device, and in this case have built-in DACs which should eliminate the problem. Razer, Corsair and Steelseries are a few manufacturers that come to mind which have high quality USB headsets.
- In my case I also own a pair of Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Blue headphones http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sib ... headset+v2

Requirements:
- However, in order to connect either headphones or a soundcard via USB you will need a USB OTG connector. These are cheap (< £5) and easy to find http://www.amazon.co.uk/aLLreLi-LIFETIM ... B0064GZAIQ
- However, they may not fit when in dock mode unless you have an extender given the narrow USB port opening in the dock.

Edit: Decided to put my money where my mouth is and it turns out that not only do I have the interference problem on the normal jack, but both of my solutions above work perfectly to eliminate all interference. I will create this as another thread and maybe it will be stickied.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by Dogpitt » January 10th, 2016, 3:12 pm

HandSlander wrote:There are two easy workarounds for a headphone interference issue for all windows computers/laptops/tablets.

The workarounds stem from the issue that the Vision is outputting an analog signal (hence you are connecting an analog 3.5mm cable), and analog outputs are usually subject to some form of interference due to the current running through the circuit or poor quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the device. I'm not sure what the problem is here but it will be nigh on impossible to clean the analog signal coming through the jack without re-engineering the device.

So we need to bypass the analog output signal/onboard DAC and capture the digital output.

Option 1)
- Install a 3rd party USB soundcard. There are many options, but these soundcards receive the digital audio output (1s and 0s) from the device and use their own onboard DAC to convert to convert to a 3.5mm audio output free from major interference. Generally the more expensive the soundcard the more features, better quality and better SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio)/noise floor you will get.
- I own an Asus Xonar U3 which is pretty cheap (£20) and also offers virtual surround sound. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Xonaru3-Mo ... B004ZI5E1S

Option 2)
- Some headphones connect via USB, and therfore receive Digital rather than Analog outputs from the device, and in this case have built-in DACs which should eliminate the problem. Razer, Corsair and Steelseries are a few manufacturers that come to mind which have high quality USB headsets.
- In my case I also own a pair of Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Blue headphones http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sib ... headset+v2

Requirements:
- However, in order to connect either headphones or a soundcard via USB you will need a USB OTG connector. These are cheap (< £5) and easy to find http://www.amazon.co.uk/aLLreLi-LIFETIM ... B0064GZAIQ
- However, they may not fit when in dock mode unless you have an extender given the narrow USB port opening in the dock.

Edit: Decided to put my money where my mouth is and it turns out that not only do I have the interference problem on the normal jack, but both of my solutions above work perfectly to eliminate all interference. I will create this as another thread and maybe it will be stickied.

Agreed regarding the sticky.

I'm actually very surprised that more people haven't commented on the issue as its quite noticeable and to be frank, unacceptable for a manufacturer to release it with such an obvious problem (design issues with the dock aside). Whilst I appreciate that all analogue sound will come with a degree of noise, this is by far the worst I have come across.

As you say, you can use a USB DAC/USB headphones, but you really shouldn't have to (and its an extra cost on top of the device if you don't have one lying around), plus its not even that straightforward as you need a suitability sized adapter to fit through the extremely narrow hole in the dock to access the port.

I've been in touch with a chap at Exertis customer support who has tried, although failed to resolve the issue and actually doesn't even acknowledge it's even a common problem. Plus I've scoured the internet for hours trying to find an alternative drivers, but no joy so far.

Come on people we need to band together to find a fix or get Exertis to sort this sh*t out!
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by HandSlander » January 10th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Here is the thread I created which will hopefully be stickied
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

I added a 3rd option that I thought of - which is using Bluetooth headphones/speakers. Please see the thread above for more information and commentary.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by billybob » July 7th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Late Reply - theres now a fix for 3.5mm audio interference listed in this thread: http://linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... 108#p15108

Retailer: Argos Refurb