Remove Advertisement

Adding to domain

General chit-chat on the Linx 1010

Adding to domain

Postby AarronsDad » September 23rd, 2016, 12:56 pm

Hi all, just taken delivery of 2 to 1010 tablets that need to be added to a domain. Can this be done as is or do I have to install win 10 education, we have a site license for for it.
AarronsDad

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Adding to domain

Postby Hurrahbro » December 16th, 2016, 4:04 am

There is also no such thing as a "site license". All MS software licenses that are NOT visual studio or client access licenses are per device licenses. You likely have a subscription agreement and will have to declare these devices on your anniversary date of the agreement if the company/establishmenst still owns them on that date.

Adding to a Microsoft WIndows Server controlled domain is normaly only possible with Pro and Enterprise editions of the desktop O/S.
Seems to still be true.
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

Do you have a Microsoft Volume license agreement. Is it a subscription license? In which case if the establishment owns them (all 3 must be true), you may have the right to install enterpise edition on those machines.

If you are an admin on the agreement you can find out by logging in here

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/ser ... fault.aspx

Me? 8 years on the Ask partner/Ask Edu team for Microsoft UK, but I have been out of the game for about 3 years.
Linx 1010b and Linx 12v64 owner
Also, Larper, Table top roleplayer and wargamer, retro computer games enthusiast (Amiga 1200, 030/50 accelorator card and SD Card hard disk and CD drive, Atari 8 bit computers with SIO2SD, next pimp project, the Sinclair Spectrums)
Hurrahbro

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Sainsbury's

Re: Adding to domain

Postby tbeard » December 22nd, 2016, 2:45 pm

Hi,

You shouldn't have a problem adding them to a domain using Windows 10 Education or Enterprise (I've added 10 using Enterprise so far) but stay away from Pro as it doesn't support managing the Start or Active Tiles via GPO.

I'm guessing you are using a KMS server to activate them? :-)

Cheers,
TBeard
tbeard
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010 Light
Retailer: 3Monkeys

Return to General (Linx 1010 & Linx 1010 3G)