Remove Advertisement


anniversary update

General chit-chat on the Linx 1010

Re: anniversary update

Postby F0LLETT » August 9th, 2016, 9:34 am

I would not compress C: as it means more work for system and some things do not like running off a compressed drive. Haven't used compression for years. Not since the ME days.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 953
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad



Re: anniversary update

Postby LinxFan » August 9th, 2016, 4:13 pm

To update on this, I don't think the lite 16GB tablet can take this upgrade.

After restarting it quickly becomes unresponsive with the touchscreen not functioning, I have been unable to identify what is causing the problem and having tried twice now I think I will stick with the old build.
LinxFan
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: January 5th, 2016, 11:20 am
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010 Light
Retailer: Sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby johncarson » August 10th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Well so far I've updated my desktop PC, laptop and Windows 10 mobile (albeit via insiders as Redstone hasn't been released yet) to anniversary. My Linx tablet still has me beat with not enough space warning. I'd like the update if possible as I like the new start menu and notification layout.

I'm no computing expert so I'm mulling over my options, I'd welcome your opinions on possible update solutions please.

Wait until offered the update, however rightly or wrongly I think I'll encounter the space issue again.

I've bing'd and read theories that Windows is using the recovery partition to either download the update or to install on. A solution is to shrink the size of C: via disk management and therefore expanding recovery partition and the update is possible. Assuming it downloads on partition and installs on C: how would I expand C: size afterwards? Makes my head hurt.

I've thought about downloading the ISO from Msoft and making a bootable USB Drive and attempting to install from there. I've done this with a family members netbook without any driver issues etc. Would this be possible?

Don't really want to end up botching it, but it bugs me that my newest device of a few weeks is the only one not on anniversary now.
johncarson
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 7:24 am
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: online
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby F0LLETT » August 11th, 2016, 7:57 am

johncarson wrote:Well so far I've updated my desktop PC, laptop and Windows 10 mobile (albeit via insiders as Redstone hasn't been released yet) to anniversary. My Linx tablet still has me beat with not enough space warning. I'd like the update if possible as I like the new start menu and notification layout.

I'm no computing expert so I'm mulling over my options, I'd welcome your opinions on possible update solutions please.

Wait until offered the update, however rightly or wrongly I think I'll encounter the space issue again.

I've bing'd and read theories that Windows is using the recovery partition to either download the update or to install on. A solution is to shrink the size of C: via disk management and therefore expanding recovery partition and the update is possible. Assuming it downloads on partition and installs on C: how would I expand C: size afterwards? Makes my head hurt.

I've thought about downloading the ISO from Msoft and making a bootable USB Drive and attempting to install from there. I've done this with a family members netbook without any driver issues etc. Would this be possible?

Don't really want to end up botching it, but it bugs me that my newest device of a few weeks is the only one not on anniversary now.


Im confused, why are you talking about resizing partitions. The recovery partition is nothing more than the advanced boot menu found in windows installer. Updating has nothing to do with this partition. The update should only be around 5GB (use the microsoft download tool and select x86, Windows 10). Do it via an iso / usb stick.

Another issue could be your temp folder isnt setup right and if windows update uses that, it can cause problems. I remember having issues where I could not install M$ programs, turned up the rights for my temp folders were missing.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 953
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby johncarson » August 11th, 2016, 9:01 am

F0LLETT wrote:Im confused, why are you talking about resizing partitions. The recovery partition is nothing more than the advanced boot menu found in windows installer. Updating has nothing to do with this partition


FOLLETT, as said its something I've read online and don't really understand if I'm honest. It wouldn't really be my preferred option tbh.

F0LLETT wrote:The update should only be around 5GB (use the microsoft download tool and select x86, Windows 10). Do it via an iso / usb stick.


*** This I'm considering. In my mind it should be a case of downloading and then creating an iso / usb stick. Then browse via 'My PC' to the ISO and double click it. I'd like to do the clean install rather than update windows, i.e format c: then select it for installation location. This way you don't end up with an 'old windows' folder hogging space on a tablet with pretty limited space anyway. ***

Does this sound about right, any potential problems with it possibly regarding drivers etc etc? Thanks
johncarson
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 7:24 am
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: online
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby F0LLETT » August 11th, 2016, 10:19 am

johncarson wrote:
F0LLETT wrote:Im confused, why are you talking about resizing partitions. The recovery partition is nothing more than the advanced boot menu found in windows installer. Updating has nothing to do with this partition


FOLLETT, as said its something I've read online and don't really understand if I'm honest. It wouldn't really be my preferred option tbh.

F0LLETT wrote:The update should only be around 5GB (use the microsoft download tool and select x86, Windows 10). Do it via an iso / usb stick.


*** This I'm considering. In my mind it should be a case of downloading and then creating an iso / usb stick. Then browse via 'My PC' to the ISO and double click it. I'd like to do the clean install rather than update windows, i.e format c: then select it for installation location. This way you don't end up with an 'old windows' folder hogging space on a tablet with pretty limited space anyway. ***

Does this sound about right, any potential problems with it possibly regarding drivers etc etc? Thanks


Upgrading shouldn't pose a driver problem. Normally driver issues on clean install.
You can opt to remove the .old folder using disk clean up after your happy its working ok.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 953
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby johncarson » August 11th, 2016, 11:46 am

At the end of all that planning, I'm now updated to anniversary!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
The update adviser (Windows 10Upgrade9252.exe) kept failing due to lack of space.

So as per my last post above and using the media creation tool I created a USB device to try updating with later. However as the sports event I'm planning to attend today keeps getting put back due to bad wether (Ulster Grand Prix Motorcycle race) I decided to try and use the media creation tool to do the update directly. 1.5hrs later I'm on anniversary. Just deleted the old windows folder and I'm back to 18GB free.

Thanks all.
johncarson
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 7:24 am
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: online
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby LinxFan » August 12th, 2016, 7:24 am

This is interesting, I wonder why is does not like running on my 16GB lite?

After upgrade I have just 2GB free space, but that should be enough, I did not want to delete the windows.old and remove my recovery route, perhaps it might be better if I temporarily move my windows.old to SD in safe mode and see how it behaves.

I'm not sure it would make a difference though, I would have thought 2GB would have be enough.
LinxFan
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: January 5th, 2016, 11:20 am
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010 Light
Retailer: Sainsburys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby F0LLETT » August 12th, 2016, 7:48 am

LinxFan wrote:This is interesting, I wonder why is does not like running on my 16GB lite?

After upgrade I have just 2GB free space, but that should be enough, I did not want to delete the windows.old and remove my recovery route, perhaps it might be better if I temporarily move my windows.old to SD in safe mode and see how it behaves.

I'm not sure it would make a difference though, I would have thought 2GB would have be enough.


Dont forget you also have SWAP.FILE taking up space. I never let windows manage it. I make it a set size.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 953
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: anniversary update

Postby Popc0rn » August 15th, 2016, 3:17 pm

TrickyDee wrote:Run the media creation tool on your tablet, and just select update this device.

Will require 8GB of free space, but updates a treat.


Any new readers to this thread, this in the best and simplest solution for upgrading to the Anniversary Edition release update for devices meeting the minimum system requirements.

Thanks TrickyDee
Popc0rn
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd
 
Posts: 103
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 12:00 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

PreviousNext

Return to General (Linx 1010 & Linx 1010 3G)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest