Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - anniversary update : General (Linx 1010 & Linx 1010 3G)

anniversary update

General chit-chat on the Linx 1010

anniversary update

by jessnuman » August 3rd, 2016, 12:49 pm

All my desktops and laptops have had the anniversary update through WU.
But my linx has not.

Did try the media creation tool, but booting up with a usb does not work so had to go in bios and choose boot to usb from there, that just failed with a blue recovery screen. So just have win 10 ip now and hitting wu every half hour.

Also on the media creaton tool i selected UK English and 32 bit, but it had three other options;
Windows 10
Windows 10 Home Single Language
Windows 10 N

I chose windows 10, hope that was right?

Do you need to format the usb any special way, I just did format from another w10 laptop.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Currys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: anniversary update

by TrickyDee » August 4th, 2016, 7:03 am

Run the media creation tool on your tablet, and just select update this device.

Will require 8GB of free space, but updates a treat.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples

by jessnuman » August 4th, 2016, 7:46 am

TrickyDee wrote:Run the media creation tool on your tablet, and just select update this device.

Will require 8GB of free space, but updates a treat.

Do you mean see the flash drive in file explorer from within your your current windows 10 and run setup?
Did not think you could do that.
Linx User
Linx User

by jessnuman » August 4th, 2016, 11:18 am

Ahh, had another look and I see on the media creation tool there is an option to update this computer rather than create media.
Did see that before but the MS site does say that is for 'You bought Windows 10 and are upgrading this PC from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1' so ignored that option.
All now updated fine and running perfectly as before with 14393.10
Linx User
Linx User

by TrickyDee » August 4th, 2016, 11:37 am

Good stuff.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples

by johncarson » August 7th, 2016, 11:07 am

Having problems updating.

I'm currently updating my laptop (From downloaded ISO and created bootable DVD) and decided I might as well also do my Linx 1010B from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

It reports the OS is out of date and the anniversary update is available to me, however very soon afterwards it reports I don't have enough space and cant proceed. I've 18GB (Of 28GB avail) free and haven't installed any any additional prog/apps as I only have it a week. I do have a 32GB MicroSD installed of which only 6GB is now available.

Any ideas thanks?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: online

by F0LLETT » August 7th, 2016, 11:49 am

johncarson wrote:Having problems updating.

I'm currently updating my laptop (From downloaded ISO and created bootable DVD) and decided I might as well also do my Linx 1010B from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

It reports the OS is out of date and the anniversary update is available to me, however very soon afterwards it reports I don't have enough space and cant proceed. I've 18GB (Of 28GB avail) free and haven't installed any any additional prog/apps as I only have it a week. I do have a 32GB MicroSD installed of which only 6GB is now available.

Any ideas thanks?

I went to windows update and did a scan, it saw update then downloaded, updated smoothly on my Vision. Even both my laptop and desktop have already updated, did'nt even notice they had. I would check windows update first before going ISO route.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by johncarson » August 7th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the reply FOLLETT

I have tried going to settings > update & security > and checked for updates manually.

No updates available for my 1010B, laptop or desktop. I won't go down the ISO route for the tablet, only done it on the laptop as I wanted to see the anniversary update and I had time on my hands this morning. I'll just keep checking for updates though I now wonder that if and when it's available if it'll have available space issues.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: online

by F0LLETT » August 7th, 2016, 12:17 pm

johncarson wrote:Thanks for the reply FOLLETT

I have tried going to settings > update & security > and checked for updates manually.

No updates available for my 1010B, laptop or desktop. I won't go down the ISO route for the tablet, only done it on the laptop as I wanted to see the anniversary update and I had time on my hands this morning. I'll just keep checking for updates though I now wonder that if and when it's available if it'll have available space issues.

It proberly seen it on mine, because I did a fresh clean install with Media Creation tool back when I got my Vision.
I read somewhere they were rolling it out to versions that used Media Creation tool first. Not sure how true that is though.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by LinxFan » August 8th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Hi,
I tried to update my 1010 with Windows Update and got the message it needs 16GB to install the update, as my tablet only has 16GB total, that's an impossible ask.

Having come here and read this thread I downloaded the media creation tool to my SD card and set it going, it now tells me I need 8GB on my C drive to continue, I have cleaned everything and had my programs on the SD card not the main drive but still only have 5.16/14.1GB free, any ideas how I can free up this extra 2.84GB?

Add and remove programs only shows three programs installed with a total size of 511MB so that wont clear the 2.84GB I need. My page file is currently showing 243MB, so I guess turning the page file off temporarily would free up a bit more but no ware near enough.

Could there be some system files I could delete, maybe help files or unnecessary system videos or something, or even something that will be replaced by the update anyway.

Is there anything I can do or is this the end of the road to update my tablet?

EDIT: I have got my free space to 6.75GB by turning OS compression on (COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always), turning hibernation off (powercfg -h off), Removing all programs that can be removed and doing a full clean up. Still need to gain 1.25GB from somewhere.

EDIT2: I have now got free space to 7.22GB by compressing c:

EDIT3: Phew I have it updating now, managed to create 8.10GB free space - fingers crossed.
I ran two power shell commands that remove just about everything.

From Here: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

Richard Saunders • a year ago
Two powershell commands that get rid of everything *EXCEPT* for app frameworks, OS middleware (e.g. calculator, sound recorder, etc,) and other embedded functions. All of the bing apps and other junk are gone. If you aren't sure what apps you can and can't remove, just use these, and if you find you're missing something, you can always reinstall it from the Windows store.
No OS functions will be broken by doing this.

First one (this should paste into powershell as one line:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -ne "Microsoft.Appconnector"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Windows*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

Second one (again, one line):

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.AccountsControl"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.BioEnrollment"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.LockApp"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.Windows*"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Windows*"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.NET*"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -ne "Microsoft.Appconnector"} | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.Name -notlike "Microsoft.VCLibs*"} | Remove-AppxPackage

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010 Light
Retailer: Sainsburys

Next