Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Internet issues : General (Linx 1010 & Linx 1010 3G)

Internet issues

General chit-chat on the Linx 1010

Internet issues

by Knottie » June 19th, 2016, 4:48 pm

I've had my Linx 1010 for a few months and have always had a few issues with the internet dropping. I have a windows phone and my wife has an iPad and there are no internet issues with either of those devices. The issue with my linx is getting worse and it drops off the Internet at least 4 times an evening, when I try to reconnect it says there are no available internet connections. I turn it off and on, try to reconnect and after a while it miraculously reconnects. If anyone can help I would be really grateful because it's driving me crazy, I'm not a great techie so any ideas in simple terms thank you.

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Currys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Internet issues

by Billboysurvey » October 7th, 2016, 9:23 am

Hi there, I have solved this issue on my Linx 1010 and hope this will help others.

This problem has been bothering me too. I don't use my tablet for wifi often and have found it drops the connection on sleep, hibernate etc. After a lot of hunting I found this is down to the automatic power saving settings on the network adapter. The issue is not simply a lack of power but an exchange of control commands with the router: some routers can complete the exchange and some can't which explains why wifi works on some routers and not others. What's happening is the router is supposed to spot 'idle' wifi use and 'agree' to the reduced power state on the tablet- and when the tablet demands a higher power draw the router is supposed to respond. Not all routers have this function...hence the drop outs.

A fix for this is to tweak the power saving settings for the network adapter but the Windows 10 install on the Linx1010 has limited controls ( you can't set a power profile for 'maximum performance' for instance).

From the Windows 10 forums You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register I found the missing setting can be restored by a registry setting (type 'regedit' in the start area to open the registry*):

There are a couple of registry hacks you can try.

First, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Change CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

This enabled the settings in Windows Power Options (right click on windows start select power options ) for 'maximum power' to be applied and this means the network adapter powerstate message is not sent to the router.

As well a giving control via the Power Options panel the registry edit opens power managenment settings for the adapter in device manager (I unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device')

This will reduce battery life but will allow the browser session to be hibernated and awoken sucessfully without a conflict with the router.

*editing the registry can be dangerous take great care care with this!

I hope this is helpful,

Bill

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: PC World

Re: Internet issues

by F0LLETT » October 7th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Billboysurvey wrote:Hi there, I have solved this issue on my Linx 1010 and hope this will help others.

This problem has been bothering me too. I don't use my tablet for wifi often and have found it drops the connection on sleep, hibernate etc. After a lot of hunting I found this is down to the automatic power saving settings on the network adapter. The issue is not simply a lack of power but an exchange of control commands with the router: some routers can complete the exchange and some can't which explains why wifi works on some routers and not others. What's happening is the router is supposed to spot 'idle' wifi use and 'agree' to the reduced power state on the tablet- and when the tablet demands a higher power draw the router is supposed to respond. Not all routers have this function...hence the drop outs.

A fix for this is to tweak the power saving settings for the network adapter but the Windows 10 install on the Linx1010 has limited controls ( you can't set a power profile for 'maximum performance' for instance).

From the Windows 10 forums You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register I found the missing setting can be restored by a registry setting (type 'regedit' in the start area to open the registry*):

There are a couple of registry hacks you can try.

First, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Change CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

This enabled the settings in Windows Power Options (right click on windows start select power options ) for 'maximum power' to be applied and this means the network adapter powerstate message is not sent to the router.

As well a giving control via the Power Options panel the registry edit opens power managenment settings for the adapter in device manager (I unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device')

This will reduce battery life but will allow the browser session to be hibernated and awoken sucessfully without a conflict with the router.

*editing the registry can be dangerous take great care care with this!

I hope this is helpful,

Bill

Be nice if they explained what Connected Standby is and does. Telling someone to simply disable the function that lets them go in and out of standby quickly, is not wise. What would have been a better idea, enable just the hidden option you want in the Balanced config without disabling CS. As not everyone wants to disable it. Plus, disabling removes sleep / hibernate. So the tablet is constantly running all the time at full speed.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos