Remove Advertisement

USB port adapter

Give your Linx 7 some new accessories!

USB port adapter

Postby Caravelle » September 10th, 2015, 10:59 pm

I just bought a refurbished Linx 7 and I'm very pleased with it - seems to run much faster and smoother than the Samsung Galaxy 7" Android tablet that was half-inched from my pocket at Oslo Airport.

Anyway, the USB adapter wasn't supplied and I'm looking for a replacement to sit permanently on the end of a 128 GB USB3 data stick, preferably a one-piece unit and not something with wired connections that will eventually fail. However, looking on Amazon and ebay, I see all sorts of confusing terms and sometimes sellers seem to be selling the same thing with different descriptions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I think I need is a USB3, type A female to Micro B male adapter. Can anyone recommend one that works, please ? I'm not looking for the cheapest possible item.

Thanks

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Remove Ad

Re: USB port adapter

Postby nememo » September 11th, 2015, 5:46 am

You need a "USB OTG adaptor". They have a bit of extra wiring over a simple type A to micro B connector which will make it work properly.

They're available for dirt cheap off ebay: (Just an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Femal ... 2358b3bebf ) or just a little bit more from a UK seller.
Linx 8 Owner
nememo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby Caravelle » September 11th, 2015, 8:55 am

Thanks, I had seen this adapter and hundreds of others. Some are advertised as USB3 some are advertised as USB2. The text for this one states "Compatible with USB 1.1 & USB 2.0" implying that it is not compatible with USB3. It then goes on to describe it as "USB Adapter A (Rectangular Connector) Female to Mini B Male" - mini is not the same as micro.

Anyway, I have tracked down this at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R ... ailpages00
It looks to be just what I wanted; the USB stick itself is only an inch long so the whole arrangement will be quite neat. You can get it £1 cheaper from Amazon, but you only get free postage if your total is £20 plus, or you can get it with free postage from China.

I'll try to remember to report back if it works as advertised. Or even not.

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby gjd » September 12th, 2015, 10:52 am

Hello

I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-D ... ro+usb+otg

Works a treat. I also have an otg adapter to connect USB accessories like a wireless mouse (yes, I know I need a Bluetooth one). For basic file transfer, the SanDisk is great.
gjd
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby Caravelle » September 12th, 2015, 11:05 am

That link goes to a 32 GB flash drive with a retractable standard USB male plug one end and a retractable micro b male plug the other. It's not a USB adapter for existing equipment.

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby gjd » September 12th, 2015, 11:12 am

Indeed. It's replaced my memory stick/otg adaptor combo because it is so convenient. Downside is that, despite its 32gb capacity, it is absolutely tiny, and disappears in my pocket. There's a 64gb option too.
gjd
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby Caravelle » September 15th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Getting back to the subject of universal adapters, I received the adapter at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R ... ailpages00 today, from Germany.

It is tiny, as you would expect from something that fits inside a male USB plug, and comes in a standard SD card case with foam insert. The fit to the Linx is tighter than the fit to the USB stick, so when I pull out the stick the adapter stays in the Linx, so I shall have to pay attention and retrieve it. I imagine it would be advisable to try not to touch the contacts either, they will work much better clean.

The adapter certainly works, within a couple of seconds of plugging it in I had an Explorer screen listing the entire contents of the USB stick.

Caravelle
Caravelle
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Return to Accessories (Linx 7)