Tablet charging and battery mods.

Loads of soldering required.... probably.

Forum rules

Any of the modifications in here are more than likely going to void any warranty you have on your tablet, if you're not willing to lose the warranty, do not try these mods. LinxTablet, nor the poster of the modification is not liable for any damage caused to your tablet by attempting modifications

Tablet charging and battery mods.

by Deleted User 1605 » June 9th, 2015, 11:09 am

Hello All,

I'm going to start looking at the tablets from the circuit design point of view, to see if there is any way of improving or solving the charging problems that seem to be fairly common. I'm also thinking about larger capacity batteries for longer run times.

One initial thought is to look at implementing wireless charging.. Assuming sufficient space is available, then this should be fairly easy to implement at low cost.

I've got a couple of damaged tablets on the way.. These should give me something to experiment with.

Would this be of any interest to other forum members??

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Tablet charging and battery mods.

by Dann » June 9th, 2015, 12:13 pm

bodge99 wrote:Hello All,

I'm going to start looking at the tablets from the circuit design point of view, to see if there is any way of improving or solving the charging problems that seem to be fairly common. I'm also thinking about larger capacity batteries for longer run times.

One initial thought is to look at implementing wireless charging.. Assuming sufficient space is available, then this should be fairly easy to implement at low cost.

I've got a couple of damaged tablets on the way.. These should give me something to experiment with.

Would this be of any interest to other forum members??

Bodge99.

It does sounds pretty cool bodge!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Deleted User 1605 » June 10th, 2015, 5:11 am

Hello All,

Qi wireless charging:
£2.15 for the charger pad and £2.49 for a 1A receiver.
Both bits ordered, they should arrive in a couple of weeks.

A small amount of modification required to the receiver when it arrives...

Just **have** to play...

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

by trogggy » June 10th, 2015, 8:07 pm

It all sounds very interesting. Looking forward to the results.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

by Dann » June 10th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Yeah! Let us know how it goes, it'd be cool to get a guide on how to do this too!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK

by flakeybanana » June 14th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Hey ive done this already, although the charger i got was rated at 1A it only gave out 0.5 :( , also all Qi coils get walm when charging so you might want to put it on the battery section which is away from the CPU. My next step is to use the usb port on the bottom to intergrate a Qi transmitter coil so i can charge other devices from the tablet

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: somewhere

by Deleted User 1605 » June 14th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Flakybanana:

Did you use a connection to the power socket (assuming a Linx 10?) or to the power rails on the USB?

I never believe specs. given on anything until I've proved it myself. I'm thinking (eventually) of charging the battery directly, bypassing any possible problems within the tablet power management circuits. I might end up just using the coil from the receiver with my own monitoring circuit. I've seen couple of Li-Po charge monitoring chips from Microchip and Maxim that look promising..

I'm also going to look at modifying a tablet stand to incorporate the base unit.

One final thing that I want to look at is intelligent charge levelling. i.e. to disallow the small "top-up" charges that can reduce the overall battery life.
I'm still at the ideas stage with this one...

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by flakeybanana » June 14th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Hey, what i did was attach leads to the power socket on a Linx 10 allowing the internal circuit to manage the charging, I don't have the tools to fabricate a charging circuit. The battery on a linx 10 is made of two rectangular cells and if you shift the cells down there is potential space for a third cell the USB on the bottom is an untapped 5v outlet. i have a Qi charger integrated into my desk so overnight it just charges in sleep mode. When active the tablet requires more than 500mv to charge.

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: somewhere

by Deleted User 1605 » June 14th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Hi,

Sounds like you've implemented a nice solution.. well done!

I'm also thinking of paralleling up coils if the output current is lower than I want..

I like playing with tech.. and to see if I can get it to do what I want, my way..

Just **GOT** to play..

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by Deleted User 1605 » June 16th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Hello All.

The Qi transmitters (base stations) arrived from China this morning.. Good going!!

One step forward.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Next