Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Linx 7 - bricked! : Help (Linx 7) - 3

Linx 7 - bricked!

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Linx 7 - bricked!

by sambartle » January 6th, 2015, 5:36 pm

dutchrudderz wrote:
K1lo wrote:Gone are the days a PC speaker might annoy inform you of what the fuss is about. :roll:

Your right k1lo. I think windiws tablets are still built with a standard pc in mind. For example if you encrypt the hard drive you have to put a physical keyboard in as you cannot use a pop up keyboard or bluetooth until the os is loaded!

Bitlocker is the tablet based solution to this, it unlocks with the TPM module and the windows password which you can use the soft keyboard with. Thats turned on by default on most Windows Tablets (but not on the linx for some reason)
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: eBay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by sambartle » January 6th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Does anyone know what setting in the BIOS causes the problem for certain?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by K1lo » January 6th, 2015, 5:42 pm

sambartle wrote:Bitlocker is the tablet based solution to this, it unlocks with the TPM module and the windows password which you can use the soft keyboard with. Thats turned on by default on most Windows Tablets (but not on the linx for some reason)

I didn't think it was just for tablets, I thought it was for any Windows device from .. 7 (I think) onwards. TPM modules have existed in one for or another since at least 2004.

Any idea how to enable it for our tablets? I guess doing so will probably require a reimaging ? :/
K1lo

by sambartle » January 6th, 2015, 5:59 pm

K1lo wrote:
sambartle wrote:Bitlocker is the tablet based solution to this, it unlocks with the TPM module and the windows password which you can use the soft keyboard with. Thats turned on by default on most Windows Tablets (but not on the linx for some reason)

I didn't think it was just for tablets, I thought it was for any Windows device from .. 7 (I think) onwards. TPM modules have existed in one for or another since at least 2004.

Any idea how to enable it for our tablets? I guess doing so will probably require a reimaging ? :/

Yeah it is for anything.. but its mandated by Microsoft for certified Windows tablets.. Im suprised they werent forced to turn it on for Bing versions..

You should be able to enable without reimaging.. Id have to have a play to be sure and provide steps, will look into it. (Usually tablets ship with it on, and configured but unencrypted, it then encrypts in the background as the user uses it to save time in manufacturing.)

Edit: It appears the reason is.. despite microsoft saying that all InstantOn (Connected Standby) 8.1 machines having access to Device Encryption.. its missing in Core Connected/Windows with Bing editions. Which is a strange choice.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by mdsharpe » January 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm

sambartle wrote:Does anyone know what setting in the BIOS causes the problem for certain?

Sorry, no. I must've changed at least 20 settings!
I was just browsing through each page, enabling stuff that was disabled.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by richcreedy » February 12th, 2015, 12:20 am

well I have become a member of the bricked linx 7 club, and I am not sure which setting I changed caused it, I have ordered a replacement from ebay, and may contact exertis (linx) tomorrow and see what they have to say

Retailer: laptopoutlet

by mdsharpe » February 12th, 2015, 7:10 am

richcreedy wrote:I have become a member of the bricked linx 7 club

Welcome!
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by JAHLU » March 2nd, 2015, 1:07 pm

mdsharpe wrote:
sambartle wrote:Does anyone know what setting in the BIOS causes the problem for certain?

Sorry, no. I must've changed at least 20 settings!
I was just browsing through each page, enabling stuff that was disabled.

I don't mean any disrespect, but here is your problem. Some settings are probably disabled for a reason. I've been diddling with BIOS settings since I was a teen, and I can assure you that you sometimes have to take note of what you're changing, and not change a ton of settings at once; this is especially true for unfamiliar settings or on an unfamiliar system/BIOS, such as what we have. There's a good lesson to be had here. However, I'm not saying it's right for the device to be bricked and for no failsafe to be set in place.

After reading all these posts, I'm gladly steering clear from the BIOS on these things, as it sounds volatile. I usually love tinkering with a BIOS. :|

Assuming the BIOS uses something like a typical CMOS battery in a regular computer, a lithium 1.35v battery, then I'm afraid you'll be easily waiting for a good 10+ years. I've tinkered with many machines over the years, and a lot of them were oldies with the battery still intact!

Taking the battery out and putting it back in would be a solution, but who knows how it's in, what sorta damage could be done getting to it, and then there's the warranty you can wave goodbye to. >.< Such a shame this device isn't more accessible.

Even if the battery did somehow discharge, you'd then have a dead battery you couldn't easily replace, which could itself cause issues if the default BIOS settings also brick the device.
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: PC World

by westonpf » March 2nd, 2015, 2:03 pm

If it is truly bricked and Exertis are unable to assist then I would suggest carefully opening up the unit to see if there is anyway of 'shorting' the bios to reset it. Other options would be to pull the battery connections to completely cut the power and see if that does anything; there are reports that the HP Stream 7 CMOS is reset this way. Draining the battery completely may do the job but you may also find that you won't be able to recharge it again.

You've probably not got much to lose and if you post pictures of the internals you might get some tips or advice. If you are careful and open it up without damaging the screen you may well be able to find a buyer just for screen to get some of your money back, assuming pulling the battery doesn't work.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by richcreedy » March 2nd, 2015, 6:39 pm

well exertis did replace the tablet, after a couple of emails, with their suggestion, and my response, it was not a big issue. I even told them I had changed a setting or 2 in the bios

Retailer: laptopoutlet

PreviousNext