Remove Advertisement

Linx 7 - bricked!

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Linx 7 - bricked!

Postby mdsharpe » January 3rd, 2015, 8:45 pm

ZEbbEDY wrote:no HDMI output?

Interesting thought - I'll check this now, not keeping fingers crossed though.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7

Remove Ad

Postby mdsharpe » January 3rd, 2015, 8:49 pm

Actually I cannot test HDMI as I have no appropriate adapter.

I think our concerns are more immediate though as I get no response from a USB keyboard - no caps lock light or anything.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby K1lo » January 3rd, 2015, 10:56 pm

Gone are the days a PC speaker might [strike]annoy[/strike] inform you of what the fuss is about. :roll:
K1lo

Postby mdsharpe » January 4th, 2015, 8:45 am

K1lo wrote:Gone are the days a PC speaker might annoy inform you of what the fuss is about. :roll:

Indeed.

Still no action this morning.

If the tablet is charging and I press the power button, the blue LED turns off for a few seconds, then turns back on. That seems to be the only activity I can get from the device at all.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby dutchrudderz » January 4th, 2015, 9:33 am

Hi mdsharpe

How long have you had the tablet. If its less than 30 days the seller should give you a replacement. If its longer then extertis should replace the item as i think we both spent enough time on this peice of equipment!
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Ebay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby dutchrudderz » January 4th, 2015, 9:36 am

K1lo wrote:Gone are the days a PC speaker might annoy inform you of what the fuss is about. :roll:

Your right k1lo. I think windiws tablets are still built with a standard pc in mind. For example if you encrypt the hard drive you have to put a physical keyboard in as you cannot use a pop up keyboard or bluetooth until the os is loaded!
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Ebay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby K1lo » January 4th, 2015, 12:15 pm

dutchrudderz wrote:

Your right k1lo. I think windiws tablets are still built with a standard pc in mind. For example if you encrypt the hard drive you have to put a physical keyboard in as you cannot use a pop up keyboard or bluetooth until the os is loaded!

Yep.. very much get the feeling youre right. That said win 8 is a huge step in the right direction (never thought I would hear myself say that) but in typical Microsoft fashion things are being changed piecemeal.

I'd quite like to use bitdefender on my tablet to give me the same protection as my iOS devices.. but the way it's implemented currently this is not possible.
K1lo

Postby mdsharpe » January 4th, 2015, 12:40 pm

For me this has been an expensive reiteration of the lesson that tablets and smartphones are ironically not of much worth to tech enthusiasts who like to tinker with their machines.

What makes this specific situation most unfortunate though is that the tablet seems to have been set up with an excessively permissive BIOS that can easily be configured in such a way that the machine won't boot. And then, to our knowledge at least, the manufacturer has provided no way to reset the BIOS, rendering the tablet useless.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby K1lo » January 4th, 2015, 4:59 pm

mdsharpe wrote:For me this has been an expensive reiteration of the lesson that tablets and smartphones are ironically not of much worth to tech enthusiasts who like to tinker with their machines.

I don't know, not sure I'd go that far.. they're relatively inexpensive devices that frankly even in their slightly brittle configurational state are marvellous examples of tech IMHO. Not had this feeling of nerdvana since the first EEE PCs came out in 2007ish :P :P :P
K1lo

Postby mdsharpe » January 4th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I've been doing some reading around the topic of "unbricking" tablets this evening and peoples experiences range from unsoldering chips and reprogramming, through to simply waiting for batteries to drain.

I will await customer services advice tomorrow; who knows, perhaps there's a button combo we haven't thought of. Failing that, I guess the tablet can sit on a shelf for a week or two to see if the battery going flat helps.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Help (Linx 7)