Remove Advertisement

Linx 7 - bricked!

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Linx 7 - bricked!

Postby dutchrudderz » January 1st, 2015, 12:05 pm

Hello

I got my linx 7 yesterday and I decided to go poking in the bios - I changed a few options (one was the s3 to s5 sleep state?) but nothing to do with the touchscreen type. As soon as I saved the changes the item went dead. No blue light for charging. I tried every button combo (i.e. power + up, power + down, power + both, power + both + winkey) and nothing

Whereas I can return it back, it's quite worrying that a simple bios change can send the tablet into such a state that it's not working anymore.

Anyone any ideas before RMA? It might just serve as a warning that the wrong options on this little baby might just send it to the grave!

Thanks
Last edited by dutchrudderz on January 3rd, 2015, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Ebay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Linx 7 - Dead?

Postby K1lo » January 1st, 2015, 12:42 pm

That's pretty worrying! I've not heard of something like this before and I'm fairly sure some others on this forum and elsewhere have tinkered in the BIOS extensively...

You can try contacting Linx directly to see if they can shed light on what happened (and maybe how to fix it) - +44 (0)1282 858 893 / customerservices@exertis.co.uk
K1lo

Postby dutchrudderz » January 1st, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hello K1lo

I doubt they are open today but I will give them a try tomorrow and report back.

I know sometimes bios's don't boot if you have say overclocked it or changed memory timings but you can't on this tablet. So it looks like it's a generic bios because some of the options are that you can change the "touchscreen type" to different manufacturers and various other stuff which could in theory stop your touchscreen working.

In my mind there should be nothing in the bios that would stop this tablet working, if there is I think there needs be to a warning or sticky just in case.
FYI - I was trying to get an alternative OS to boot from USB but one of the options obviously doesnt like the tablet.

Will report soon

Thanks
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby K1lo » January 1st, 2015, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up .. I was planning on experimenting with other OSes too so now I'll be double careful in the BIOS. The usual caviats apply when tinkering with it, but you're right it shouldn't brick the device setting it incorrectly
K1lo

Postby mdsharpe » January 3rd, 2015, 12:50 pm

I have just done the same thing. Changed a few bios settings, rebooted, now tablet won't turn on.

I still have a charging light when I plug it in to charge, but no key combo will turn it on.

Will e-mail Linx customer services. Frankly it is ridiculous that this is even possible.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby dutchrudderz » January 3rd, 2015, 4:27 pm

Hello all

I chased up customer services and to be fair they responded quickly. They suggested holding down F7 to get into the bios. I responded that the system doesnt even power by keyboard (i know this as it has neon led backlit). I am lucky as in the uk you can return it to the seller if quick

I suggested to mark who i spoke to that they may want to test on their own tablets otherwise they may be getting quite a few returns.

I can paste the full email convo if you wish
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Re: Linx 7 - bricked!

Postby mdsharpe » January 3rd, 2015, 4:39 pm

I'm wondering if the CMOS might be wiped if/when the battery runs out.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby dutchrudderz » January 3rd, 2015, 5:33 pm

mdsharpe wrote:I'm wondering if the CMOS might be wiped if/when the battery runs out.

I hope the workaround is that easy. Im not sure that this is the case though, for a start with mine I can't even use the battery, it wont turn on so to have to wait until the battery "naturally" discharges may be some months!

We have had two reports now (yours and mine) and I don't think it's just a one off, there is something happening on the bios where it's writing to the NVRAM or something which its bricking the device.

Here is the email I got as a reply:-

Sent: 02 January 2015 11:06
To: Mark Sandiford
Subject: Re: Issue with Linx7

Hello mark. I appreciate the response. First off the tablet has been charged overnight and was hovering at 70 percent charge. Secondly the blue led light on the front which i think is charge light doesn't cone on. Thirdly the screen doesn't come on. I am returning it to where we bought it from for a full refund. It might be worth trying to change the options yourself as i imagine i wont be the only one to try this. Thanks

On 2 Jan 2015 09:00, "Mark Sandiford" <Mark.Sandiford@exertis.co.uk> wrote:
Hello

Please can you charge the tablet in case it's running out ​​of power. If Windows still refuses to work, please connect a keyboard, keep hitting F7, get into BIOS and change back the settings to try?

Otherwise you will have to reimage the OS.

Thank you

Mark

Mark Sandiford
Telco/Core CS Team Manager

T +44 (0) 1282 776776
DD +44 (0) 1282 858884

E: mark.sandiford@exertis.co.uk
W You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
dutchrudderz
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby mdsharpe » January 3rd, 2015, 8:36 pm

Yeah, I have to admit I don't have any sure way to use up my battery either. It's been several hours since the problem occured now and still no luck.

The blue LED lights up when I plug in the charger. When I press the power button, it briefly turns off and then back on again. That is the only reaction I can get out of the device.
mdsharpe
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby ZEbbEDY » January 3rd, 2015, 8:44 pm

no HDMI output?
ZEbbEDY
Original Member
Original Member

Retailer: ebay