Remove Advertisement

CRITICAL ERROR WINDOWS 10

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

CRITICAL ERROR WINDOWS 10

Postby jamct69 » August 23rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

This morning, when I turned on my Linx7 (recently upgraded to Windows 10 ), I got the message:

"CRITICAL ERROR

Start menu and Cortanta aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.

Sign out now"

I have done so several times, each time getting the same message.

I am able to log-in but only get the 'Desktop' (DT) screen overlaid by the above message. My DT screen has icons for Recycle bin, Google Chrome, iTunes, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Avast Free Antivirus, the latter two being run with no viruses or malware being detected.

I am here, logged-in on my PC having just visited the 'answers.microsoft.com' website which contains rather a lot of rather complex solutions involving MSA. ( Does this mean MICROSOFT ACCOUNT? ). Detailed discussions are in general related to PCs & Laptops with full-size keyboards and are too complex for me to understand so I respectfully ask Linx forum members "Have you any simple quick-fixes for my problem?" as I have no way of accessing Linx 'Settings' or access to my MSA!
jamct69

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: CRITICAL ERROR WINDOWS 10

Postby Griryu » August 24th, 2015, 11:42 am

jamct69 wrote:This morning, when I turned on my Linx7 (recently upgraded to Windows 10 ), I got the message:

"CRITICAL ERROR

Start menu and Cortanta aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.

Sign out now"

I am able to log-in but only get the 'Desktop' (DT) screen overlaid by the above message. My DT screen has icons for Recycle bin, Google Chrome, iTunes, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Avast Free Antivirus, the latter two being run with no viruses or malware being detected.

I am here, logged-in on my PC having just visited the 'answers.microsoft.com' website which contains rather a lot of rather complex solutions involving MSA. ( Does this mean MICROSOFT ACCOUNT? ). Detailed discussions are in general related to PCs & Laptops with full-size keyboards and are too complex for me to understand so I respectfully ask Linx forum members "Have you any simple quick-fixes for my problem?" as I have no way of accessing Linx 'Settings' or access to my MSA!

I believe this is a known issues that Microsoft is aware of. Most of the issues that cause this have been fixed but there are still the odd problems cropping up like yours. For now I would suggest trying to do the following:
    1. Go to your desktop
    2. press CTRL + ALT + DEL to open the task manager
    3. Click more details at the bottom of the window
    4. Click file then run new task
    5. In the popup type in explorer.exe and press enter. Hopefully you should get your start menu and taskbar back. If this works try and run windows updates.
I would highly recommend removing Avast Antivirus for now and using another one as this is currently having problems with Windows 10. One of which could be causing your problem. I had to remove this myself as it was causing graphical issues on my install.

If you still can't get back your taskbar or start menu try the following to see if removing Avast helps:
    1. Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard
    2. In the menu select Programs and Features near the top
    3. search for and remove Avast Antivirus

It's possible to disable Cortana but I have no idea if this will help. Try my suggestion above first and let me know how you get on.
Griryu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos

Postby jamct69 » August 24th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Griryu wrote:
jamct69 wrote:This morning, when I turned on my Linx7 (recently upgraded to Windows 10 ), I got the message:

"CRITICAL ERROR

Sign out now"

I believe this is a known issues that Microsoft is aware of. Most of the issues that cause this have been fixed but there are still the odd problems cropping up like yours. For now I would suggest trying to do the following:
    1. Go to your desktop
    2. press CTRL + ALT + DEL to open the task manager
    3. Click more details at the bottom of the window
    4. Click file then run new task
    5. In the popup type in explorer.exe and press enter. Hopefully you should get your start menu and taskbar back. If this works try and run windows updates.
I would highly recommend removing Avast Antivirus for now and using another one as this is currently having problems with Windows 10. One of which could be causing your problem. I had to remove this myself as it was causing graphical issues on my install.

If you still can't get back your taskbar or start menu try the following to see if removing Avast helps:
    1. Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard
    2. In the menu select Programs and Features near the top
    3. search for and remove Avast Antivirus

It's possible to disable Cortana but I have no idea if this will help. Try my suggestion above first and let me know how you get on.

Thanks for your response. However My Link7 is a touchscreen tablet without keyboard so please advise me how do I open the task manager?. The only open screen is the 'desktop' overlaid by the CRITICAL ERROR message box.

In the meantime I have been able to access ( via The Recycle Bin ) Control Panel --Programs & Features --Uninstall --Avast. The progress-bar not moving very fast so will return to this forum in due course and report back. Ciao for now
jamct69

Postby jamct69 » August 24th, 2015, 1:52 pm

WOW!, I successfully UNINSTALLED Avast Free Antivirus and restarted Tablet. Problem solved, Critical Error box no longer active. Normal START SCREEN has returned although with some default icons pinned back on start screen.
jamct69

Return to Help (Linx 7)