Remove Advertisement

Android on Linx 10 - Need Help

That little green robot gets everywhere!

Re: Android on Linx 10 - Need Help

Postby nememo » June 16th, 2015, 2:08 pm

I managed to use a lot of the work guys had done in the Dell V8P and got Lollipop running on my 8 a few months back (there's a thread somewhere!). Although as there was very little interest in it I never bothered working on it (and it required a lot of work - it took so long to do anything!). There's certainly a wealth of information out there which would give you a good head start.

Best of luck!
Linx 8 Owner
nememo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Postby Reddax » June 16th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Great! Good luck :) I'd love to be able to dual boot Windows and Android on my Linx 10. Any version of Android will do, preferably 5.0 but if not, 4.x
Reddax

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 16th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Hello All,

I've had a quick look at a few Android iso's . Most are as you would expect, x86 for MBR partitions. I looked at one UEFI image which has most of what is required for the tablet boot, except explicit GPT support (WTF?). I assume that the image was generated on a hybrid MBR/UEFI machine with a buggy firmware.

I've also accessed the filesystems of the Android boot and installation initial ramdisks (The main one is a variation of a squashfs, the others are renamed gzipped ext3 and 4 . These appear to be fairly standard. There appears to be some attempt at hiding basic configuration files by renaming them.. unless I'm just paranoid?

The kernel is quite old, I would expect minimal SOC support which would result in poor performance and frequent lockups. Hardware support would also be limited.

I'm going to look at "rebuilding" each part of the system (booting, initrd or initramfs, newer kernel etc.).
If this works O.K. the system will appear to be "stock", The only difference is that it will boot and run properly.

I've still got to look how others have handled this. I'm "seeing it" from a Gnu/Linux viewpoint, not a Dalvik/Linux one, so I might be missing something significant.

Just **GOT** to play.

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 17th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Hello,

Test post. Trying to get a stable wifi connection and not getting very far..

Posted from Lollipop on a Linx 10

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 17th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Reddax:

In what form due you would you like to see this? Do you want a separate partition and if so, how large?
I could look at a loopback solution from within windows.. but this would have a performance penalty.
Are you intending to dump the restore partition and use all of the space for w8.1 with bing and Android?

I just need to know what you would like and I'll see if I can get anywhere near to it.

Currently I've managed to get Lollipop to boot (with several really embarrassing kludges). I've identified some initial things that need to be changed for stable EFI booting on a GPT partition. The first thing is that Grub Legacy has to go.. It needs to be taken out and shot.. Why this is still being used on modern hardware I'll never understand. /rant mode off.

Grub is the bootloader used to start probably the majority of modern Linux systems. The original versions were superseded by Grub2. This was a complete rewrite making it more reliable and much more capable. It's (IMHO) the best solution to booting 64bit operating systems on 64bit systems with 32bit UEFI firmware.

There is quite a lot of work to do just to get it to boot properly, let alone consider specific hardware support...

One step at a time..

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Reddax » June 17th, 2015, 9:43 pm

bodge99 wrote:Reddax:

In what form due you would you like to see this? Do you want a separate partition and if so, how large?
I could look at a loopback solution from within windows.. but this would have a performance penalty.
Are you intending to dump the restore partition and use all of the space for w8.1 with bing and Android?

I just need to know what you would like and I'll see if I can get anywhere near to it.

Currently I've managed to get Lollipop to boot (with several really embarrassing kludges). I've identified some initial things that need to be changed for stable EFI booting on a GPT partition. The first thing is that Grub Legacy has to go.. It needs to be taken out and shot.. Why this is still being used on modern hardware I'll never understand. /rant mode off.

Grub is the bootloader used to start probably the majority of modern Linux systems. The original versions were superseded by Grub2. This was a complete rewrite making it more reliable and much more capable. It's (IMHO) the best solution to booting 64bit operating systems on 64bit systems with 32bit UEFI firmware.

There is quite a lot of work to do just to get it to boot properly, let alone consider specific hardware support...

One step at a time..

Bodge99.

Well, because the internal storage is perhaps too small for both, i'd like android to run on the external SD card if possible (Mine being 32gigs, plenty for android OS + apps). And then the Windows 8 boot manager allowing an option to either continue booting into Windows, or into android which is located on the external SD.
Here's a blog i found on getting the android working within the windows boot manager - You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

The image I used was on here: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Look for the Android-x86-4.4 section (3rd section down from the top)
And it's the android-x86-4.4-r2.img - Android-x86 4.4-r2 EFI image. ( You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register )
This worked for me, but without the touchscreen and wifi working. I'm sure we could somehow get the drivers for these for linux and put these on somehow.

Though if you have Lollipop working - then good job!
Reddax

Retailer: Argos

Postby linx2015 » June 19th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi bodge99, I would love to know how to successfully have android running on the linx 10. I never had a windows tablet before and I miss some of my android apps. If you could let me know which one works best and if its simple to install (basic windows knowledge only :). ). I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
linx2015
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: Staples

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 19th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Hello All,

I'm quite far from a stable installation of Android (version anything) on the tablets just yet. I've had to use a number of software kludges so I can even boot it. These are currently spread across 3 flashdrives for the one boot so I can work on and tweak each section individually.
The x86 ports won't run directly anyway. The Linx tablets are UEFI systems, a 64 bit processor with a 32 bit UEFI. Disk structure is GPT as mandated by the UEFI specification. I don't want to use any sort of emulation due to the performance penalty here.

This means any Android tools must be UEFI aware. The disk partitioner in the installation iso's certainly isn't.
The booting mechanism must be also. The x86 ports are geared to MBR disk structures.
The Linux kernel (yes, it is Linux) must have intrinsic support for all of the tablet hardware.
Applications (I hate the term "apps") must be aware of "everything". Now most problems at this level disappear when "lower-level" problems are solved.

Booting Android with updated kernel support is relatively easy. I had to solve these problems when developing the drive restoration toolkit. It took a great deal of experimentation to discover what would work "cleanly" and what wouldn't. It turned out to be one of those "easy when you know how" things.
If you look on other "running Linux on tablets" forums/websites you'll see some of the problems people are trying to overcome. e.g. fedlet.

The hardware support for the Baytrail-T SOC from the Linux kernel is pretty good so far. It's not yet complete. It would appear that Intel (contributors to the Linux kernel) are currently focusing their efforts on their newer tablet SOC's. Work is continuing and there are quite a few people involved. They each have their own agendas and viewpoints which don't always match mine.

The "under the hood" stuff in Android has to be updated to match the latest kernel developments.. I'm following this very closely anyway as I run Linux & Unix on all of my kit, tablets included. This part is also fairly easy to mod, it's quite "fiddly" as it involves quite a few stages that have to be configured "just so". When this part is sorted, it's then identical and can be used for any Android version.

What this all boils down to is this. When kernel support for the tablet is complete, I'll be able to have a fully functioning Linux system on the tablets (I'm aiming for full support on all of the Linx models). When I've got this, I've then got the ability to transfer the relevant parts to Android. One potential "gotcha" is the Android graphics subsystem. I haven't been able to examine this at all yet so I don't know what problems might arise here. I need a stable tablet installation procedure first.

When I've got this, I think 2 or possibly 3 installation scenarios might be possible.. I'll just have to wait and see.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Postby pj147 » November 2nd, 2015, 12:12 am

Great effort so far :)

If i boot from usb touchscreen works, if frominternal partition it doesnt _ confused :shock:
pj147

Retailer: None
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby cbdsonline » December 6th, 2015, 8:44 pm

would it be possible to partition a 32 gig msd card , say 10gig primary active for droid and the rest as ntfs for use by windows. use the installer to install whatever droid version required to the 10 gig primary then boot back into windows 10 and bcdedit to set up and make the droid partition bootable ??? (thats how i used to have an old pc with 2 internal hdd dual booting hackintosh from one hdd and win7 from the other).

just a random thought as i have just had a tinker with the uefi x86 64 5.1 img on an external usb stick and after a slow initial load its prety quick and usable once up and running on a live boot.

Chris
cbdsonline

Retailer: argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Android