Remove Advertisement

GUIDE: Android + Windows dual boot w/touch boot menu

That little green robot gets everywhere!

Re: GUIDE: Android + Windows dual boot w/touch boot menu

Postby henri » June 11th, 2016, 6:54 pm

meagain wrote:Bad idea. This is a step back from Androidx86, which is essentially this with bootloader additions added. Our best hope for a port would be compiling CM13 using files from the released iWork 7 image, as you can see in previous posts a similar approach has been attempted with a Lollipop ROM from another tablet.

If anyone does happen to have any custom ROMs they have made for the device, PM them to me and I'll include them in my dual-boot tool that can be found on the other thread (almost complete now)

Well, I was the one who tried the lollipop rom on this device using another atom tablet :lol:

Basically any atom build can boot on this tablet; but it requires massive framework changes due to it's systemui modifications built specific for that tablet.

I did try to rebuild it with those libs from the cube image and I couldn't get it to flash...

The atom images from the sdk didnt work either. It was worth a try anyhow imo.

Now I've got time off, it's time to tinker with the repacking tools on Linux and see if I can get some specific parameter to repack the image correctly. The alternative is to build an recovery from source, as Droidboot can boot into it.

Anyhow since we're talking about androidx86 here, what's wrong with it currently running on the linx? Any of those bugs could be fixed by moving over libs from the cube image. The libs folder does contain specific board drivers, so it isn't impossible :lol:
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Postby meagain » June 11th, 2016, 6:58 pm

henri wrote:
meagain wrote:Bad idea. This is a step back from Androidx86, which is essentially this with bootloader additions added. Our best hope for a port would be compiling CM13 using files from the released iWork 7 image, as you can see in previous posts a similar approach has been attempted with a Lollipop ROM from another tablet.

If anyone does happen to have any custom ROMs they have made for the device, PM them to me and I'll include them in my dual-boot tool that can be found on the other thread (almost complete now)

Well, I was the one who tried the lollipop rom on this device using another atom tablet :lol:

Basically any atom build can boot on this tablet; but it requires massive framework changes due to it's systemui modifications built specific for that tablet.

I did try to rebuild it with those libs from the cube image and I couldn't get it to flash...

Now I've got time off, it's time to tinker with the repacking tools on Linux and see if I can get some specific parameter to repack the image correctly. The alternative is to build an recovery from source, as Droidboot can boot into it.

Anyhow since we're talking about androidx86 here, what's wrong with it currently running on the linx? Any of those bugs could be fixed by moving over libs from the cube image. The libs folder does contain specific board drivers, so it isn't impossible :lol:

Sorry. I was mistaking you for another user...

Anyway, yeah that should work. I doubt the official system images are the way to go though. Once I get my Linux system built up I'll see if I can get Cyanogenmod to compile for x86 then maybe we can go from there...
I've not attempted Androidx86 in a while but I think the last we knew it worked minus WiFi and battery which should be fixable with the correct WiFi libs and the ACPI info
- meagain
Watch this space
meagain
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: LaptopOutlet
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby henri » June 11th, 2016, 7:28 pm

meagain wrote:
henri wrote:

Sorry. I was mistaking you for another user...

Anyway, yeah that should work. I doubt the official system images are the way to go though. Once I get my Linux system built up I'll see if I can get Cyanogenmod to compile for x86 then maybe we can go from there...
I've not attempted Androidx86 in a while but I think the last we knew it worked minus WiFi and battery which should be fixable with the correct WiFi libs and the ACPI info

Okay, I don't really think using Androidx86 is an good solution as I've read others having issues with orientation being glitched and sound not working. Never-mind there is a lack of 3D Acceleration, causing lag... :?

I'm just going to try to port over TWRP from another Intel device that is similar to ours. Hopefully this should work 8-)
Now if only I could recall what the combination was to boot up in Droidboot...

If TWRP is successful, then I should be able to use MIUI's patch rom source and be able to port over MIUI v7. Though, through my previous attempts of ports, I wouldn't think it would work; but it's good to try :roll:
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby meagain » June 11th, 2016, 7:32 pm

lemme just remove the long quote chain as the forum doesn't like it for some reason

Hopefully. That'd mean we can experiment with other ROMs without having to reflash.
I'm going to delay the release of the automated installer whilst recovery options are investigated.
- meagain
Watch this space
meagain
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Postby henri » June 11th, 2016, 7:35 pm

meagain wrote:
lemme just remove the long quote chain as the forum doesn't like it for some reason

Hopefully. That'd mean we can experiment with other ROMs without having to reflash.
I'm going to delay the release of the automated installer whilst recovery options are investigated.

Yep. I guess it's time to try every recovery image I find on the Linx; the thing is unbrickable with it's BIOS able to boot from efi :lol:

From the screenshots I've seen you're building an app from visual studio using a metro framework, which I've tried before. My browser concept wasn't quite good, but your app is looking great 8-)

If you need me to upload any of those android images, I can do so as my internet connection is quite fast (benefits of living in a city with fiber :D )
Last edited by henri on June 11th, 2016, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby meagain » June 11th, 2016, 7:40 pm

henri wrote:
meagain wrote:

Yep. I guess it's time to try every recovery image I find on the Linx; the thing is unbrickable with it's BIOS able to boot from efi :lol:

From the screenshots I've seen you're building an app from visual studio using a metro framework, which I've tried before. My browser concept wasn't quite good, but your app is looking great 8-)

Thanks. I want to make something that the average user can use that's polished an bug-free enough to be understandable by almost everyone. I think an automated app also means that we can iron out user errors whilst installing. If only I could find a way to fastboot the image onto the Linx from the host PC over USB but I don't think that'll happen.

As for recovery, I guess that's the best idea really. A custom compile could work too if we could get a target built - maybe adapt it from another system?

At the end of this I'd love to be able to ditch the dual-boot BIOS and use a EFI-based solution like Clover but I think that's a long way off and would involve using stuff from Androidx86.

Off to add a "Choose your recovery" section to my tool now, hidden for now but ready for when we can find a working image...
- meagain
Watch this space
meagain
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Postby henri » June 11th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Well I can you can flash the images that we use from Droidboot using some Intel Flash tool, I found it whilst looking for the lollipop image before, I believe the tablet is an teclast x98. Though we need to how to boot into it's flash mode... I also found TWRP for the teclast; which I'm going to try out now - hopefully the tablet boots it up.

From my understanding, the USB connection is for host mode only? The only way I can get adb started is through wireless? That's quite bad as I would need to take a lot of logcats if I wanted to do any rom porting at all.

Well, I guess it's a process of elimination now until I find one image that boots and then work on from there.

Seems like that just caused the tablet to reboot when entering recovery (Yes I've opened it from Droidboot). To open droidboot at any time, when the tablet is booting on Android before the boot animation loads, there's the cube splash screen, just hold down volume down and you've reached the droidboot menu ;)

Now time to find other Atom tablet's which have some form of recovery ported. The recovery of the stock cube does work, but it's only for formatting data and flashing an update zip...

@meagain Also make sure your tool backs up not only the oem key, but the Windows 10 product key; which in my case had to be used instead as the OEM wasn't accepted for some reason on my tablet.
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby meagain » June 11th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Nice to know, I'll take a look when I have some free time as my Linx is purely development only now.

My tool does not deal with activation whatsoever - it is purely a downloaded for the ROMs and writes them to a USB for flash, then has a video guide for each step. It currently doesn't run on the Linx at all, only on another PC to prep the USBs for install.

However, I have customised the BIOS installer batch file so I'll probably inject code to backup the key there automatically.

Also, another ask for the WinToAnd.exe tool from the original iWork ROM, otherwise I'll extract it myself tomorrow

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
- meagain
Watch this space
meagain
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Postby henri » June 12th, 2016, 6:52 am

meagain wrote:Nice to know, I'll take a look when I have some free time as my Linx is purely development only now.

My tool does not deal with activation whatsoever - it is purely a downloaded for the ROMs and writes them to a USB for flash, then has a video guide for each step. It currently doesn't run on the Linx at all, only on another PC to prep the USBs for install.

However, I have customised the BIOS installer batch file so I'll probably inject code to backup the key there automatically.

Also, another ask for the WinToAnd.exe tool from the original iWork ROM, otherwise I'll extract it myself tomorrow

Sure thing, I'll extract it from the boot image now.
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Postby henri » June 12th, 2016, 6:59 am

meagain wrote:Nice to know, I'll take a look when I have some free time as my Linx is purely development only now.

Here. Extracted it from the install.win

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
henri
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Android