Remove Advertisement

Just arrived in Win 10 land, now looking for apps :)

Windows 10 Is HERE, get support, drivers in here!

Just arrived in Win 10 land, now looking for apps :)

Postby LarryPlane » September 24th, 2015, 9:41 am

So I am a refugee from an Android tablet, had enough of that OS and its memory management issues, so I thought I would give win 10 a bash.

Yesterday a shiny new Linx 1010 arrived from Dabs.com (arrived the day after I ordered it, still waiting for the micro SD card though ;) ) and I have been getting disco with the the new ways of the Win eco system.

First thing I found out was that there is no app for Skype! WTF? Really? Don't MS own that company now? So what's with the desktop only version and the Skype 'App' being just a link to the download location? Crazy.

Second thing I am finding hard is the lack of apps. Guardian news, not there, BBC news, not there. Odd. I would have thought these would have been shoe ins for MS to want to encourage development.

Finally, I am searching for a decent app to replace Aldiko on the Android to read my PDF and ePub files. Any recommendations for this, or any other cool app I might want to try are most welcome :)

Larry!
LarryPlane
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Dabs.com
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Re: Just arrived in Win 10 land, now looking for apps :)

Postby tsotd » September 24th, 2015, 4:22 pm

i have to agree with you, the lack of apps that i want is painful after having been spoiled by android for so long
tsotd
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: laptop outlet

Postby LarryPlane » September 25th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Maybe it will get better? he said hopefully....
LarryPlane
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Dabs.com

Postby danskeman » September 25th, 2015, 3:01 pm

tsotd wrote:i have to agree with you, the lack of apps that i want is painful after having been spoiled by android for so long

What you have now is a full fledged PC that will run thousands of programs

Here is a list of some useful ones

VLC - great video player

Teamviewer - you can connect to tablet remotely or to another remote PC

Skype - desktop version

BBC Iplayer download (go to bbc website to install)

malwarebytes - to protect against malware.

itunes

The list is endless.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

Postby tsotd » September 25th, 2015, 5:41 pm

not going to get into a fight why i think android is better than win 10 for apps, after all everyone has there own views and the world would be boring if everyone had the same stuff.

windows 10 is great as a normal pc/laptop system but im really having problems getting used to it as a tablet.
in my view apps are "light weight" programs that are made for mobile use, apple and android have it down to a T but windows is lagging behind, thinking about it im not too sure if i can blame windows but more the developers of apps.

no iplayer
no chrome
no youtube
no gmail
google maps
kfc app
game app
gumtree
radio player

just to name a few....

ok i can run these from the desktop but everyone else as an app but not win 10?

the apps they do have dont seem to work right.... well that could just be me.

facebook dont like to give me notifications in the action centre, also its very slow with the news feed and messaging dont update.
ebay app isnt much better, it has a habbit of sitting there hangging when searching.

as said before everything is good when running in a browser but the apps apps are just not up for the job which is a shame
tsotd
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: laptop outlet

Postby danskeman » September 26th, 2015, 11:35 am

tsotd wrote:not going to get into a fight why i think android is better than win 10 for apps, after all everyone has there own views and the world would be boring if everyone had the same stuff.

windows 10 is great as a normal pc/laptop system but im really having problems getting used to it as a tablet.
in my view apps are "light weight" programs that are made for mobile use, apple and android have it down to a T but windows is lagging behind, thinking about it im not too sure if i can blame windows but more the developers of apps.

no iplayer
no chrome
no youtube
no gmail
google maps
kfc app
game app
gumtree
radio player

just to name a few....

ok i can run these from the desktop but everyone else as an app but not win 10?

the apps they do have dont seem to work right.... well that could just be me.

facebook dont like to give me notifications in the action centre, also its very slow with the news feed and messaging dont update.
ebay app isnt much better, it has a habbit of sitting there hangging when searching.

as said before everything is good when running in a browser but the apps apps are just not up for the job which is a shame

The whole point is you can run desktop apps.

I rarely use the store apps as they are usually simplified versions, with little configurability ie just basic versions eg Netflix app does not have chromecast ability.

The big failure of the windows RT devices was the lack of apps.

If store apps do not meet your needs, and you don't want desktop versions, then a Windows 10 tablet is not for you.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ralphss8 » September 30th, 2015, 8:09 am

I have to agree. I bought the Linx to use as a convenient portable PC. I am removing most of the "apps" that come with W10 and happily using the desktop versions which run very well on it.
I think it is powerful enough not to need a lot of cut down versions. But perhaps this might ne different on the Linx 8...
ralphss8
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Debenhams

Postby danskeman » September 30th, 2015, 8:20 am

ralphss8 wrote:I have to agree. I bought the Linx to use as a convenient portable PC. I am removing most of the "apps" that come with W10 and happily using the desktop versions which run very well on it.
I think it is powerful enough not to need a lot of cut down versions. But perhaps this might ne different on the Linx 8...

The Linx 8 is fine. Of course screen is smaller. I use touchmousepointer to emulate a giant mouse trackpad to get precise control over fiddly menus.
danskeman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Windows 10