Returning to 8,1 using usb recovery stick and failing.

Windows 10 Is HERE, get support, drivers in here!

Returning to 8,1 using usb recovery stick and failing.

by danskeman » September 18th, 2015, 6:19 pm

I was trying to help a friend return to 8.1 from 10 on a LInx 8 as some apps would npot work on 10, and as the 30 day periods had passed, I tried to use my Linx 8 recovery usb, and it would not work properly - it boots fine, but when you go to reset PC, it want to recover the windows 10 system.

Aha, I thought I need to force it to use recovery partition files on usb drive, by wiping the main drive.

Using Macrium, I backed up my version of 10, and restored an 8.1 image, tried to use usb recovery drive to test it, and it worked fine, fully recovering the tablet back to its fresh state. I then made a Macrium image backup of the clean install.

I restored 10 again, and tried again, and still did not work (just checking if I got same issue on my tablet).

So I wiped the main drive on my tablet (didn't want to screw up friends tablet), and went to use the recovery usb again, and it failed saying it did not have a required partition!

I am puzzled by this as I thought the 8.1 usb recovery stick could recover to a blank drive.
I've checked the usb drive, and it has all the wimboot files - so I wonder what went wrong?

So I recovered my tablet back to 10, and then I thought "I wonder if Macrium will recover the new clean 8.1 image back to another identical tablet".

The free version does not have the recover to another PC option, but as other tablet is identical, I thought I would try it anyway. I had reasonable hopes Macrium would restore an image to the other tablet, but I was unsure about whether it would activate. Naturally, I made an imaage backup on other tablet first (paranoia is my middle name).

Well, blow me down, shiver me timbers, and flabber my gast , it just worked first time.

I still do not understand why the usb recovery stick did not work to a blank drive - the only thing I can think of is you have to have the partition structure in place first, before using the usb stick - anybody know?
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Returning to 8,1 using usb recovery stick and failing.

by nememo » September 19th, 2015, 8:18 am

The recovery stick should work in both cases. I use mine to go from 10 to 8 fairly often, and I've done it a couple if times to a blank drive when I was doing some testing. Very strange.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Staples

by danskeman » September 19th, 2015, 12:59 pm

nememo wrote:The recovery stick should work in both cases. I use mine to go from 10 to 8 fairly often, and I've done it a couple if times to a blank drive when I was doing some testing. Very strange.

More of an academic point now as I have full image backups. I wonder if my 8 backup image does not have all the right partitions. Could you post an image (only if easy and no hassle).
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nememo » September 19th, 2015, 7:58 pm

I've already posted a Linx 8 image on the forum :) Tried and tested - it's the one I use now to revert from 10.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Staples

by danskeman » September 19th, 2015, 9:14 pm

nememo wrote:I've already posted a Linx 8 image on the forum :) Tried and tested - it's the one I use now to revert from 10.

Sorry - I meant a visual image of your partitions from disk management - LOL.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by danskeman » September 20th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Nememo - Well I tried again, using image from your link, created boot image usung rufus (only difference is 16k size sections default instead of 4k as newer rufus). used gpt and fat32.

Starts, but fails eventually saying required partition is not available. Same as my image.

Wiped mmc and did same, same error.

I have no idea why it does not work.

My concern is that people may think they ate safe going to 10 but if things go pearshaped they cannot recover.

Macrium works fine, so a backup method works for Linx 8 (others have confirmed this) but I cannot say for 7/10 but do not see any reason for it not to work.

In fact, as Macrium will insttall as a dual boot system, it might be easier from 7 as I seek to remember you can't get to bios if windows is not working?
Premium Member
Premium Member