A few questions on a Linx 8 upgrade

Windows 10 Is HERE, get support, drivers in here!

A few questions on a Linx 8 upgrade

by Edocaster » July 31st, 2015, 10:45 pm

Hello all.

I'm not planning an upgrade to Windows 10 immediately, but will almost certainly give it a go within the next few months, hopefully once the initial quirks have been sorted out. But I have a few questions which will help me decide what needs doing:

- What's the easiest and most reliable way to upgrade? If I don't want to wipe out existing data or have any complicated license key issues, Is it via Windows Update?
- Do I need USB sticks? I've seen recommendations to make a system image before attempting an upgrade, plus talk of using a USB stick for the install itself (is that necessary? I have about 10GB free on C, plus a partially filled micro-SD card - permanently installed due to Onedrive being located there).
- Is extracting the Windows 8.1 license key necessary?
- I've heard Windows 10 doesn't show 'online only' placeholder files for Onedrive in file explorer. Annoying. But does it show them in the Onedrive app (assuming that still exists)?
- I've also heard Windows 10 doesn't allow Onedrive to be installed on the micro-SD card. Is that right? On Windows 8.1 I can get Onedrive on my card without any tricks.

And are there any major pros for upgrading that balance out some of the potential cons above?

Thanks all.

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: eBay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: A few questions on a Linx 8 upgrade

by Commontsar » August 1st, 2015, 5:58 am

What's the easiest and most reliable way to upgrade? If I don't want to wipe out existing data or have any complicated license key issues, Is it via Windows Update?

Mine wasn't showing up on the update, so I just did it by USB (with a sandisk usb/microusb stick). I did this for my PC before, so was familiar with this method. I only encountered one issue - drivers. But they are on here which was a life saver, and once installed my screen rotated backwards - so I reinstalled them and it all worked fine.

Do I need USB sticks? I've seen recommendations to make a system image before attempting an upgrade, plus talk of using a USB stick for the install itself (is that necessary? I have about 10GB free on C, plus a partially filled micro-SD card - permanently installed due to Onedrive being located there).

Personally I have the 32gb model and I removed steam and all my games on there. In theory it shouldn't take much more space than is on there, but my advice is copy EVERYTHING to an sd/usb stick (just in case) and then update. You should be doing this regardless of system anyway, as accidents do happen.

Is extracting the Windows 8.1 license key necessary?

I never even thought about this when upgrading my 3 devices. Luckily the answer is no :P

I've heard Windows 10 doesn't show 'online only' placeholder files for Onedrive in file explorer. Annoying. But does it show them in the Onedrive app (assuming that still exists)?

I haven't synced my OneDrive to be honest so I can't help here, but the app still exists...so there's that.

I've also heard Windows 10 doesn't allow Onedrive to be installed on the micro-SD card. Is that right? On Windows 8.1 I can get Onedrive on my card without any tricks.

Again, not tried, but if it does that just do the old trick to make your tablet/pc think the SD card is a harddrive, then it would ;)

Retailer: CEX
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Edocaster » August 1st, 2015, 10:29 am

Thanks. It does sound like USB sticks are probably a wise investment.

Shame about Onedrive.

Everything else sounds OK. Hopefully when the dust is settled someone can write a definitive guide specific to Linx.

by dpweeks » October 16th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Checkout this post of how I upgraded my Linx 8 to Windows 10 Home: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1190&start=40#p8103
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Wiziwoo

by danskeman » October 17th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Edocaster wrote:Thanks. It does sound like USB sticks are probably a wise investment.

Shame about Onedrive.

Everything else sounds OK. Hopefully when the dust is settled someone can write a definitive guide specific to Linx.

The crucial thing to do is create a usb recovery drive before you upgrade as a minimum. The reason for this is that the Linx tablets use a special version of Windows 8.1 (Windows 8.1+Bing). This OS is not available to the public, and you can struggle to reinstall 8.1 (fortunately nememo gives a link to an image in the guides section BUT there is no guarantee the link will be there in the future).
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Amazon

by Edocaster » January 1st, 2016, 12:09 pm

I thought I would post an update now that I've updated to Windows 10...

The good news is I'm very glad I did it. Despite initial misgivings when looking at the feature set, Windows 10 is a very nice upgrade. Some tablet-specific things are worse off, but these are minor points. The interface is generally better, and the OS feels 'fuller' than 8.1, which felt largely empty, unless you ventured onto the desktop, which was almost impossible to navigate. The fact that Windows 10 doesn't treat 'the desktop experience' as one big program of its own is worth the upgrade alone.

I upgraded rather than clean installing, and did so a couple of weeks ago. This took me straight to version 10586 in one step. The whole process took about three hours, and even though I'd cleared 10GB I was told I didn't have enough space. This gave me the option to pick the SD card, which had me a little worried as I'd read that updates failed when the SD card was present. Fortunately, this problem did not occur. When all was done, everything worked without me needing to use the downloaded drivers from this site.

Some Windows 10 features I use and appreciate:
- I can move most apps to and from the SD card. Moving even a large app like Asphalt 8 takes just a few minutes, which is useful as Asphalt 8 was too slow running off the SD card.
- Tablet mode is generally sensible, giving a universal back button and decent context menu spacing.
- Multi-tasking between multiple exes can be done without a keyboard.
- Startup is even faster than before (even with fast startup disabled).
- I can disable wifi when the tablet sleeps, to save power. It generally reconnects on wake fine. It doesn't seem to disable bluetooth though.
- I can use external monitor-only output (micro-HDMI) easily (on Win 8.1 it had a tendency to rotate the screen 90 degrees).

Problem-wise, I have one (occasional) problem which is apparently quite widespread: On wake, there's a chance that the screen will stay black, even though I can see touch events and the volume control, and even the shut-down prompt if I hold down the power button. But I can't get back to the login screen. If I press ctrl+alt+del everything is fine, but this requires me to have my bluetooth keyboard with me. I've tried various fixes, but the problem still occurs very occasionally.

Yesterday, I tried updating drivers automatically for various devices. This caused a 180 screen rotate which I was fortunately able to correct via registry changes found on this site. I'm wary of updating drivers further if things are currently working fine.

The are a couple of smaller niggles with Windows 10 (the start menu and action centre once crapped out - seemed to fix itself on reboot; the icon for flight mode seems to be intermittently lit for no real purpose; some legacy control panel screens are fuzzy due to some scaling problems) but these are minor. Overall, I'd say Windows 10 has been a worthy (and largely pain-free) upgrade.

by KWH2k16 » January 5th, 2016, 8:46 pm

I've heard Windows 10 doesn't show 'online only' placeholder files for Onedrive in file explorer. Annoying. But does it show them in the Onedrive app (assuming that still exists)?

I haven't synced my OneDrive to be honest so I can't help here, but the app still exists...so there's that.

I've also heard Windows 10 doesn't allow Onedrive to be installed on the micro-SD card. Is that right? On Windows 8.1 I can get Onedrive on my card without any tricks.

For the benefit of anyone else viewing this thread prior to upgrading:
Windows 10 does not have placeholders for online files in OneDrive, and it has NO app either! The "app" you see is simply a shortcut to your OneDrive folder in File Explorer. If you want to view or download online files you have to log into OneDrive via your browser. It's rumoured that Microsoft will be reinstating placeholders with the W10 Redmond update, currently planned for June/July time. They may bring out an app in the meantime, but 5 months after the W10 launch there's no sign of it, so I doubt it.

You can simply update settings to install OneDrive on your SD card.

Linx Tablet: Linx 810
Retailer: Sainsburys