Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Windows 10 Update too big for tablet? : Windows 10

Windows 10 Update too big for tablet?

Windows 10 Is HERE, get support, drivers in here!

Windows 10 Update too big for tablet?

by stigzler » February 26th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Hi folks,

Just got my Linx 1010 tablet and enjoying it so far.

However, just tried a Windows 10 update and it says there's not enough space to install the update. Saying it need 8G to install and there's only 5 available. :(

This led me to check out available memory which has left me confused. I thought these were meant to be 32GB units? When I look at Disk Manager, it tells me I have 14G used for windows and with 5G remaining. There are additional EFI and Recovery partitions, but they're minimal in size...

What happened to the rest of my diskspace?

Also guessing that if you add an SD card that this shows as a different drive? Thus couldn't use it to expand capacity for windows?

Any help appreciated

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Windows 10 Update too big for tablet?

by Squirrel2015 » February 26th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Hi

Congratulations on your Linx. These are great devices :)

Yes, you're not alone! ;) 32 Gb needs careful 'management', unfortunately but it is possible. Many people are realising that these types of device are great but the small drives are why they're popular. Other makes of such devices have same/similar issues, as you can see on various forums.

Microsoft seem to only allow their programs to be installed on C:\ drive but other programs can be installed on D:\ drive / microSD card. I have a 128Gb mSD card in my Linx 1010, although I don't think I'm likely to need that much.

One way to create some space on C:\ drive, I've found, is to re-install Win 10 having used the Media Creation Tool. It seems that this installs the latest version, with only a few downloads to bring it up to date. Then, any other programs can perhaps be installed on the mSD Card. If you need MS Office, then that will need to be installed on C:\ too, as will anything from MS Store

You can check back on my previous posts to see how others, and myself, have 'managed' this limitation of space, if that will help you?

Good luck :)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: Amazon

by stigzler » February 27th, 2018, 7:56 am

Thanks for the reply Squirrel - you sound like you know your stuff!

I'm just curious, however, about why disk manager is only around 20G as my internal storage. I'd rather not re-image unless I had to..

On the re-imaging - what about the windows activation? Does it do it automatically from the 'motherboard' or do you have to have a key?

Thanks again for your help

by Squirrel2015 » February 27th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Hi Stigzler

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I only know what I know ;) I find Google is my best friend re computer issues, to be honest. It seems that's my default place for info! Always remember, there are some excellent & knowledgable people on forums too (not including myself here, though)

My manta tends to be "It's not WHAT you know, it's knowing WHERE to find what you want/need to know" ;)

Anyway, to your disc space usage. I have to say, I really don't know too much about this. I've looked at Disc Management on my Linx and I took a 'snip'

As you can see, I have different distribution but this snip is after a re-install of Windows 10 just after Christmas. I don't remember if I even checked Disc Management before the re-install, to be honest, so no idea if this changed. I wonder where your other 10Gb have gone. Time for 'Google'!!! ...

In the meantime, have you tried attaching a USB stick, with min 8Gb free, to update? I believe Win 10 can use the flash drive as extra space during the update, although it won't use SD storage!!! It's definitely worth a try.

So, on reading a bit, suggestions include 'Disc CleanUp', delete Temp files, running CCleaner. I can't find anything explaining the make-up of C:\ nor explaining 'invisible' space loss.

Do you have 'Windows.old' file on C:\ drive? That could be deleted. What about any Restore Points? Have you got files in OneDrive? I found they were also taking up space on C:\

So, I'm sorry not to be able to help. If you get no further joy on this forum, it might be worth posting the question of invisible space on a Windows 10 forum.

Another alternative would be to get back to where you bought your Linx. Maybe they would exchange it for another new one, if they feel it might be faulty.

Regarding re-installing Win 10, the product key is held in the computer somehow/somewhere so I didn't have any issue.

Let us know how you get on :)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by F0LLETT » February 28th, 2018, 9:48 am

Its a bit late, but they have addressed this in latest update. You can now use other drives and sticks.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by stigzler » March 1st, 2018, 5:36 pm

@Squirrell - thanks for the further help

@F0LLETT - does this mean that if I buy a 128GB SD card and put it in the tablet, I can install Windows 10 to that rather than the internal memory? If so - that'd be aces!

by Squirrel2015 » March 1st, 2018, 5:57 pm

stigzler wrote:
@F0LLETT - does this mean that if I buy a 128GB SD card and put it in the tablet, I can install Windows 10 to that rather than the internal memory? If so - that'd be aces!

Hi stigzler

Unfortunately, I don't believe that it will work that way. Microsoft have a 'thing' about their software being installed onto C:\ drive only.

However, if you're interested, I used 'symbolic links' for other MS software, ie MS Office Pro 2007 and other non-MS software, to 'divert' them to the mSD drive (D:\) As far as I know, it seems to have done the job.

I have Win 10, up to date, on C:\ drive (32Gb) and have 11Gb+ free. MS Office is (I think) on D:\. I really must check this by removing the mSD and seeing if Office still works ;) If it doesn't, then I'll know it hasn't worked, for some reason. So, any installation that gives an option re destination drive, I give it D:\. Any that doesn't give the option, I create a 'symbolic' link before installing ;)

Hope this helps
J
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by danskeman » March 2nd, 2018, 11:32 am

stigzler wrote:@Squirrell - thanks for the further help

Actually, it is theoretically possible using a virtual hard drive keeping boot files on mmc drive, and creating a boot entry to vhd but it would be very slow and unreliable.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8

by F0LLETT » March 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

danskeman wrote:
stigzler wrote:@Squirrell - thanks for the further help

Actually, it is theoretically possible using a virtual hard drive keeping boot files on mmc drive, and creating a boot entry to vhd but it would be very slow and unreliable.

No what I ment, windows now sees there is not enough room and will give option to use a usb stick.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by danskeman » April 7th, 2018, 5:11 pm

This is a way to do it if adding a usb drive does not work

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3163#p16756
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8

Next