Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Running 1709 build 16299.15 on Linx 8. : Windows 10

Running 1709 build 16299.15 on Linx 8.

Windows 10 Is HERE, get support, drivers in here!

Running 1709 build 16299.15 on Linx 8.

by danskeman » October 9th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I am now running 16229.15 on my Linx 8 (1GB) and it runs fine.

I had issues upgrading as no matter what I tried it kept crapping out in the safe-OS rollbac phase, so I ended up clean installing. It is a bit of a PITA having to install the various drivers, but once I got them from this site (ones in Linx 8 download page) it all works fine. It took me a while before I worked out, you have to install the screen rotation .reg file, as I could not get that to work initially.

One confusing issue is that onedrive files on demand were not available and yet I have been using it for while. After a bit of research, I found you have to delete onedrive using tool like Revo Uninstaller (as it clears all the registry crap), then reinstall from the onedrive web site.

Also, you have to re-join the Insider Programme, or the option is turned off! After a clean install, by default, you are not on the Insider Programme. MS have only a week to fix this, so it is live for non Insiders as well!

Another minor issue (not 1 16299.15 issue specifically) is that touchmousepointer does not work properly, as the cursor visually jumps back to the your finger position, although its focus point is where you moved it to.
I got round this by switching on the fake cursor which remains at the cursor focus point.

Also, you have to toggle off the trackpad mode when using the keyboard.

Overall, it feelds quite snappy, and I have not seen ny problems. I installed Macrium Free V7, and tested it and it backed up and restore the install perfectly.

Files on Demand (once you get it working) is super and imo better than the old placeholders. You can tell at a glance if file is on tablet as well as in cloud, or on cloud only. You can monitor syncing progress. All in all, this is the best reason for upgrading to 1709 version (16299.15).

EDIT - OMG I did all tests with power cable in.

I have the same bug as other users. Touch screen does not work unless power cable for s plugged in!

This is a weird bug!

Have gone back to CU version!

EDIT 2: Hooray - I have got touchscreen working without power

See

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

I had to add DWORD SelectiveSuspendOn and set to 1

Then I had to do the second registry edit. It took me a while to work out how to get permissions changed

See following.

Edit 3: I sent my touchmousepointer issues today to Lovesummertrue, and the wonderful japanese Support guy fixed both of my issues issuing new updateson web page , and it is now fine again. There is a slight flicker but not enough to be a big deal.

Edit 4: Got reply from Exertis about power bug as follows

Hi There,

Apologies for the delay in response!

Many thanks for that link! This will be very helpful in providing troubleshooting for the issue, but just to let you know, the engineers are in the process of creating a BIOS update to amend the issue which we are hoping will be available soon!

Regards
Barney Wells
Technical Support

“How am I doing? Please click here to share your comments on the support you were provided.”

Kindest regards
E: linxsupport@exertis.co.uk
W: You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Last edited by danskeman on November 1st, 2017, 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Running 1709 build 16299.15 on Linx 8.

by LinxFix » October 11th, 2017, 4:07 pm

After both upgrading and performing a fresh install of 16299.15 I've found that auto-rotation either doesn't work or the touch screen doesn't work until I plug in a power cord. So it renders the tablet useless.

Windows 10 (1703) on my Linx 8 was perfect with KB4022725 applied, but if I were to install any of the newer cumulative updates (e.g. KB4025342) then rotation would stop working. It doesn't seem to matter what driver or registry settings are used either.

If your Linx 8 (not 810) is working perfectly then could you please use Double Driver to create a zip file containing all of your drivers? Thanks.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Double-Driver.shtml

danskeman wrote:Another minor issue (not 1 16299.15 issue specifically) is that touchmousepointer does not work properly, as the cursor visually jumps back to the your finger position, although its focus point is where you moved it to.
I got round this by switching on the fake cursor which remains at the cursor focus point

You do know that Windows 10 has a built in touchpad now, right? Just click on the taskbar and select "Show touchpad button".
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Vary
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by F0LLETT » October 12th, 2017, 8:14 am

LinxFix wrote:If your Linx 8 (not 810) is working perfectly then could you please use Double Driver to create a zip file containing all of your drivers? Thanks.

Or you could just use the already built in commands.

Backing up the drivers currently being used on your device
Start powershell (admin) and type the following (it can take about 5 mins to complete).
Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination D:\DriverBackup <-Adjust destination as required.

You also have to remember, some drivers put stuff in System32 folder. i.e. Touchdriver configs and fw. You have to manually back them up.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos

by danskeman » October 12th, 2017, 4:07 pm

LinxFix wrote:After both upgrading and performing a fresh install of 16299.15 I've found that auto-rotation either doesn't work or the touch screen doesn't work until I plug in a power cord. So it renders the tablet useless.

Windows 10 (1703) on my Linx 8 was perfect with KB4022725 applied, but if I were to install any of the newer cumulative updates (e.g. KB4025342) then rotation would stop working. It doesn't seem to matter what driver or registry settings are used either.

If your Linx 8 (not 810) is working perfectly then could you please use Double Driver to create a zip file containing all of your drivers? Thanks.

danskeman wrote:Another minor issue (not 1 16299.15 issue specifically) is that touchmousepointer does not work properly, as the cursor visually jumps back to the your finger position, although its focus point is where you moved it to.
I got round this by switching on the fake cursor which remains at the cursor focus point

You do know that Windows 10 has a built in touchpad now, right? Just click on the taskbar and select "Show touchpad button".

I did my tests with power cable in as battery was low. I have go same bug!

Gone back to CU version. As I have Pro, I will disable feature updates for 365 days!

Yeah I know about the touchpad built in but it is crap as no transparency.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LinxFix » October 13th, 2017, 12:13 am

F0LLETT wrote:Or you could just use the already built in commands.

That's true, but the Double Driver application can backup system drivers too. It'll also put everything into grouped folders and compress the lot for you. You can then use the zip within the program to install or replace specific drivers.

danskeman wrote:Gone back to CU version. As I have Pro, I will disable feature updates for 365 days!

We're probably out of luck unless Exertis can offer some new drivers. That might never happen though.

I previously mentioned that KB4025342 and all newer cumulative updates break rotation in Windows 10 (1703). I've since found out that it does work, but it's buggy. It requires you to turn the screen off, leave it for a moment and then turn it on again. Only then will rotation work correctly.

One of the fixes that Microsoft made in KB4025342 was the following. It's obviously the root cause of the issue :roll:
Microsoft wrote:Addressed issues with screen orientation that stops working after lid close and lid open transitions.

I'd guess that it's either the Kionix drivers at fault or one of the drivers that monitors power states.

I plan on installing 16299.15 again and trying various drivers, but for now I've permanently disabled Windows updates. If I can't find a fix then I might downgrade to Windows 8.1 or switch to Windows 10 LTSB.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » October 13th, 2017, 7:44 am

As I am on PRO, I can defer feature updates for a year. TBH my tablet has a cracked screen anyway, so it is time to buy a new one anyway.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LinxFix » October 13th, 2017, 4:02 pm

danskeman wrote:As I am on PRO, I can defer feature updates for a year. TBH my tablet has a cracked screen anyway, so it is time to buy a new one anyway.

I'm also using the pro edition, but because cumulative updates are also introducing new problems I've disabled updates entirely. It's not something that I'd recommend for others to do though.

I could buy another tablet, but it probably wouldn't be a Linx tablet because you don't seem to get the same level of support as you would from a popular brand. For example, there's no drivers on their official website and all of the driver packs for the Linx 8 aren't maintained.

What really irks me is that the Linx 8 is only a 3 years old product. I've got laptops and desktops that are older than that and they can all run Windows 10 perfectly.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by danskeman » October 15th, 2017, 1:16 pm

LinxFix wrote:
danskeman wrote:As I am on PRO, I can defer feature updates for a year. TBH my tablet has a cracked screen anyway, so it is time to buy a new one anyway.

I'm also using the pro edition, but because cumulative updates are also introducing new problems I've disabled updates entirely. It's not something that I'd recommend for others to do though.

I could buy another tablet, but it probably wouldn't be a Linx tablet because you don't seem to get the same level of support as you would from a popular brand. For example, there's no drivers on their official website and all of the driver packs for the Linx 8 aren't maintained.

What really irks me is that the Linx 8 is only a 3 years old product. I've got laptops and desktops that are older than that and they can all run Windows 10 perfectly.

I sent an email to exertis, and I was surprised to get a response - engineers are looking into it.
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LinxFix » October 15th, 2017, 7:40 pm

danskeman wrote:I sent an email to exertis, and I was surprised to get a response - engineers are looking into it.

I emailed them on Friday, but I haven't had a reply back yet.

Hopefully their engineers can get a new driver or BIOS update that works.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by pf001 » October 18th, 2017, 12:09 pm

I have the same issue with my Linx 8 after the Fall update. I managed to fix the rotation issue by reinstalling the kionix drivers from this site, but the touch screen only works when the power cable is plugged in. I've tried various different versions of the goodix touchscreen drivers but nothing seems to fix it.

Linx Tablet: Linx 820
Retailer: Argos

Next