Poorer Gaming performance?

Fingers at the ready! Gaming on the Linx!

Poorer Gaming performance?

by Neverwashere » December 26th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Heya all, just got the Linx 10v64 and seem to be having lower fps issues than gameplay I have seen on Youtube/Reddit etc. Changed the power options to increase performance and whatnot, does not seem to make a big difference. Any drivers I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the help, great community!

EDIT: Fixed the issue, disregard this.

Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: None
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Poorer Gaming performance?

by neloforster » December 30th, 2016, 11:37 pm

In case other people have the same problem and are unable to resolve it, could you let us know how you fixed the problem?

Thanks =)

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Game
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Cliff » January 21st, 2017, 10:17 pm

My guess is the games were installed to MicroSD rather than the faster Linx internal storage so were moved, or else MicroSD performance was increased by enabling write caching. The downside is you have to use Safely Remove Hardware before removing the MicroSD physically but if like me you rarely take it out that isn't really a problem.

There's a good article on how to do it here...
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 10"
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by F0LLETT » February 17th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Cliff wrote:My guess is the games were installed to MicroSD rather than the faster Linx internal storage so were moved, or else MicroSD performance was increased by enabling write caching. The downside is you have to use Safely Remove Hardware before removing the MicroSD physically but if like me you rarely take it out that isn't really a problem.

In my opinion, its nothing to do with SD card. I have 200GB with write caching enabled and all games run perfect from it.
For graphics, there are bios tweaks and windows tweaks etc.
By default the bios is limited to 32MB for gfx, windows then ups it to 256MB for gfx. You have to alter bios to 128MB, then override windows to use as much as it wants.
I consider MassEffect to be a good tester and I have that running perfect from SD.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

by Cliff » February 19th, 2017, 6:21 am

F0LLETT wrote:
Cliff wrote:My guess is the games were installed to MicroSD rather than the faster Linx internal storage so were moved, or else MicroSD performance was increased by enabling write caching. The downside is you have to use Safely Remove Hardware before removing the MicroSD physically but if like me you rarely take it out that isn't really a problem.

In my opinion, its nothing to do with SD card. I have 200GB with write caching enabled and all games run perfect from it.
For graphics, there are bios tweaks and windows tweaks etc.
By default the bios is limited to 32MB for gfx, windows then ups it to 256MB for gfx. You have to alter bios to 128MB, then override windows to use as much as it wants.
I consider MassEffect to be a good tester and I have that running perfect from SD.

Well it would work well for you, you have yours set to caching as I do so we rarely hit MicroSD write speed limit pauses, which is why I suggested caching as the reason. But if that wasn't how he resolved the problem what do you think was ? I haven't come up with a good alternative apart from a risky up-clocking of the ram in the firmware to 1600MHz (for which it may or may not be rated but could cause heat problems in either case) from the much slower default 1066MHz.

I suppose he could have downgraded the game's graphics to increase speed, but very unlikely because he would have seen from the gameplay video on similar hardware that he watched that it had reduced graphics without needing to post here. Whatever the fix was we might never know for sure.

Btw with a Linx 10v64 the gfx starts at 32MB but will go all the way up to 2GB automatically (and it really is 2GB as I set GTAV to use 1.7GB of it).
Linx User
Linx User

by F0LLETT » February 19th, 2017, 7:43 am

Windows limits Ram for gfx. So wonder if game overrides this. Or is it not using it for gfx. I would look at forcing windows to use more gfx and see if that helps. I would not over clock. Plus are you using unlocked power settings as they are normally locked to one scheme.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

by Cliff » February 20th, 2017, 2:46 am

F0LLETT wrote:Windows limits Ram for gfx. So wonder if game overrides this. Or is it not using it for gfx. I would look at forcing windows to use more gfx and see if that helps. I would not over clock. Plus are you using unlocked power settings as they are normally locked to one scheme.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My 10v64 runs games at pretty much the speed I expected (I knew GTAV would run like a limping dog at 7'ish fps and the original Crysis would be good on low to medium settings). I just like to improve what I can with hardware settings or technical trickery (Bitsum's CPUBalance etc) which is why I have an interest in this forum thread.

The IntelHD graphics do as you say use up to 128MB dedicated ram but can also use up to 2010MB of shared main memory as needed for games that need a lot (like GTAV). This is default and doesn't need to be changed. Even if it was possible to dedicate that entire amount of shared memory it wouldn't help much and it would become unusable for anything else until the ram setting was manually reduced.

Like you I wouldn't overclock with a passively cooled tablet either. The Linx 10v64 is supposed to have 1600MHz ram according to places like Ebuyer (even most ridiculously dirt cheap tablets have it and it's also the speed of ram Intel rated for the Z8300 CPU) which would mean the voltage would not need increasing to change the default 1066MHz to it's rated speed. With no voltage change needed heat increase would be minimal and my 10v64 shows a surprisingly low temperature even while running GTAV, Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm it with Linx support. If instead the company that Linx buys the tablets from have cheaped out on the ram inside the 10v64s and it really is a slower type then attempting to set 1600MHz could catastrophically lock the tablet with no easy recovery method, which is why I haven't tried.

What I liked best about the tablet is that the default hardware settings seem good and currently the only change I'd make is the ram speed, if it turns out to be safe. I don't know what you mean by unlocking power settings as I don't remember seeing anything locked, but I experimented with the IntelHD settings early in my testing and those give optimal results on the defaults when gaming above the specifications of the tablet.

Just as an update a test confirmed the ram becomes unstable faster than the 1066Mhz default speed so don't try to improve it,
Linx User
Linx User