Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Deploying images to Linx 7 solved : General (Linx 7)

Deploying images to Linx 7 solved

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

Deploying images to Linx 7 solved

by Spyder » June 5th, 2015, 9:53 am

Hi, we are a supplier to schools and have just taken delivery of 21 Linx 7 tablets for one of our clients and was very disappointed to see that there was no PXE boot, how were we going to image all these tablets plus any future purchases. I managed to get it working so thought I'd post how I did it to help everyone out.

The images were deployed using WDS so make sure you have that installed first and are familiar with it.

Installing the new OS and apps
First I had a Pro8 Docking Station (from when I set up some HP Streams) this allows you to connect most importantly a LAN cable. Then I plug into the Pro8 a powered Xenta USB Hub to allow me to use a USB keyboard and mouse.

The issue I had was that the USB drive for booting would not be detected with the powered hub until after Windows started to boot so the pen drive has to be plugged in to the Pro8

Create a Windows 8.1 bootable USB and plug that into the Pro8 (the boot drive always has to be plugged into the Pro8 else it won't be detected at boot up.)
Enter the BIOS (press delete on the keyboard at boot up) and choose SAVE AND EXIT - BOOT OVERIDE - UEFI <nameofyourpendrive>
this will boot from the pen drive and you can install Windows. We use a VLK Licence so we totally wiped the drive so we had one partition only and didn't backup any keys.
After installation I installed the drivers from here (which took some doing) then installed Office and other apps we wanted then sysprepped it ready for capture.

These are the links to the sites I used to create a USB capture pen drive and a bootable pen drive for deployment.

Capture the Image
I used this to create the capture disk, I followed steps 1, and 3 then created a capture image from WDS and copied that to the ISO folder
MAKE SURE YOU FORMAT AS FAT32 AND USE FAT32 PE and x86 capture image
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/dd744530(v=ws.10).aspx

Deploy the image
This was used to create the bootable deployment drive
You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
Do take note of the winpeshl.ini error that is listed further down the page (omit the , and the " )

If any one would like I have images of both the capture pen drive and the deployment pen drive I can post online.

Another really useful tool was this GUI for DISM, fantastic for adding stuff into boot.wim images You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

All working well and all tablets imaged - hope this helps make it easier for anyone that has the same problem I had.

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Deploying images to Linx 7 solved

by Dann » June 5th, 2015, 10:53 am

That's useful! Thanks
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Deploying images to Linx 7 solved

by nememo » June 5th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Good work - and good news knowing the Pro8 docking works with the Linx!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home