External HDD

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

Re: External HDD

by jcksn.paul » February 27th, 2015, 3:13 pm

JAHLU I thought about an SSD in an external enclosure and youre right they do draw a lot less current and it would be ideal but so expensive mate

I think I will have to go with troggy's suggestion of an external drive, power bank and y cable.

Troggy that was a surprise to see your drives drawing up to 650mA the USB2 spec is 500mA max. I guess manufacturers aim these drives primarily at USB3 which provide 900mA max. Therefore maybe an older USB2 drive may work?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by trogggy » February 27th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I think if anything newer drives will use less power. It used to be that you'd commonly get a y cable with a drive / enclosure, because a single usb2 port couldn't power them. All 3 of my portable drives work fine in all my usb2 ports - laptops, netbook, tablet, desktops - just checked and they even work on otg on my tegra note 7 (android tab).
Maybe a drive with a usb interface (as opposed to sata drive plugged into a pcb in the enclosure, like mine and most) will use less power, dunno.

Edit: I'll stick the ammeter on my tablets later on, see if anything different shows up, but my impression is that the linx7 usb port is chucking out less power than most devices will.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by K1lo » March 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am

Quick follow up to my earlier post, any drive that's a a laptop or desktop drive in an enclosure will not work, it needs too much power and the Linx will not be able to supply it. You may see lights come on, however it will not mount under Windows.

External USB drives (i.e. dedicated drives you can buy not ones in enclosures) _do_ work via the OTG cable. I've tested two now and they power up and work correctly with my Linx 7.

USB memory sticks - no problem with any I've tried, they all work.

Hope that helps :)
K1lo

by trogggy » March 3rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Good news.
Although a desktop drive in an enclosure always has it's own power supply, so that should work, no? Not very portable, though.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by K1lo » March 4th, 2015, 11:50 am

trogggy wrote:Good news.
Although a desktop drive in an enclosure always has it's own power supply, so that should work, no? Not very portable, though.

Yep true, they require quite a bit more current than could be otherwise supplied through a regular USB port. I have a couple of these laying around, they really are not very portable at all
K1lo

by jcksn.paul » March 5th, 2015, 1:10 am

K1lo wrote:Quick follow up to my earlier post, any drive that's a a laptop or desktop drive in an enclosure will not work, it needs too much power and the Linx will not be able to supply it. You may see lights come on, however it will not mount under Windows.

External USB drives (i.e. dedicated drives you can buy not ones in enclosures) _do_ work via the OTG cable. I've tested two now and they power up and work correctly with my Linx 7.

USB memory sticks - no problem with any I've tried, they all work.

Hope that helps :)

Hey that's good news K1lo :D
Anychance you could supply me with specific models that work please mate?
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: ebay

by K1lo » March 17th, 2015, 12:20 pm

I'm using Samsung M3 @ 1.5TB and they work beautifully. Assuming all capacities will likely work too :)
K1lo

by WieserSoftwareLtd » April 21st, 2015, 4:57 pm

I've always taken the view that I should plug in an external powered usb hub into the USB2Go cable, and then you can run a huge number of peripherals, including high power USB drives. Get a USB3 hub.

Retailer: Tesco

Previous