Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - External HDD : General (Linx 7)

External HDD

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

External HDD

by jcksn.paul » February 13th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Can anybody recommend an External HDD that connects via USB OTG cable that runs via USB bus power? I know these External HDDs work when connected to a desktop or laptop but does the Linx7 provide enough juice to power them?

An External HDD that requires its own power is no good to me when off grid. I know I can purchase External HDDs with a battery backup like the Corsair Voyager Air or the Seagate Wireless Plus but they are more than twice the price. Also not looking for USB memory stick as they are also too expensive compared to an External HDD that runs via USB bus power. Price comparison:

256Gb USB memory stick from £76
500GB Seagate Wireless Plus £101
500GB Freecom Mobile Drive Classic USB powered £33
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: ebay

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: External HDD

by trogggy » February 13th, 2015, 5:22 pm

I've 2 2TB portable drives - a Toshiba and a Seagate - and the linx 8 will power them both up (one at a time!) via the OTG cable. I wouldn't expect my battery to last long doing that though.
Anyway FWIW the 8 will power 2TB portable drives. Which means there has to be a good chance the 7 will too.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by jcksn.paul » February 13th, 2015, 6:03 pm

OK thanx that sounds good. I am not looking to use the external HDD for long periods of time just to copy off important files every now and again so battery should not be an issue. Any chance you could tell me which model HDD you have?
Thanx again
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by trogggy » February 13th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Premium Member
Premium Member

by jcksn.paul » February 20th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Ok thanks troggy. I understand you got a linx 8 I will hang fire to see if anyone with a 7 can confirm your findings mate
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by K1lo » February 25th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Tried two different external hard drives without success :( .. going to try another one tonight with my 7.
K1lo

by jcksn.paul » February 26th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Thats bad news K1lo :( Troggy seems to have had success with his Linx8
Just to be sure did you an External HDD that connects via USB OTG cable that runs via USB bus power?
May be some one else will be able to put us onto on that works. Fingers crossed mate
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by JAHLU » February 26th, 2015, 9:07 pm

I'll bite. I've got a 2.5" HDD with an enclosure that connects via regular USB 2.0 making it "portable".

No luck. No LED. It's simply not receiving enough power. I have a hunch that if it were powered by from the mains and the HDD plugged in as well, then it would maybe work, but there's only one thingy, and IDK if it would be powered via a hub without the hub melting. xD

I did, however, try a 1GB "pendrive" which worked just fine via the OTG cable. I'm certain larger sized pendrives would work. You can get some cool things. I'm pretty sure there's Micro USB pendrives, but there's also this which would greatly reduce the luggage:

I'm not sure if this is truly Micro USB, but it looks like it might be. Would be amazing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGSTON-32GB ... 1588933439

OMG, this is!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JetFl ... ICRO+USB+2.

Awesome stuff. Think I might look into one, myself.
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: PC World

by trogggy » February 26th, 2015, 9:38 pm

I just tried my last remaining portable drive - a Buffalo 500GB - and that works too (on otg), so there seems to be a difference with the 8. All I can suggest if you want it to work on the 7 on OTG is to attach it with a y-cable and a power bank (or a psu, obviously, but presumably the point is to use it away from power).
Premium Member
Premium Member

by JAHLU » February 26th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Oh, so 8 offers more power on the internal hub, I guess. I thought it was always 500mA.
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: PC World

Next