Remove Advertisement

Power + Data using OTG

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

Re: Power + Data using OTG

Postby roelof » March 4th, 2015, 10:52 pm

No luck!! I have a strong idea that the Linx7 behaves different form a Linx8 or 10.
roelof

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Remove Ad

Postby millski » March 4th, 2015, 10:59 pm

I have all three versions of the Linx (don't ask). The only one I can confirm working on the Linx 7 is an untouched BIOS with the Dell cable using the above method to restart the tablet while the cables are connected. I use that on a daily basis with a variety of usb devices - keyboard, mouse, powered hdd, portable hdd, usb sticks, dslr cameras...

I originally had one of the Chinese manufactured OTG cables, with three usb sockets and a power socket. Like everyone else it seems, mine fell apart. I could never get it to work anyway though.
millski
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby roelof » March 17th, 2015, 9:11 pm

Ok, solved this one. It appears that connecting a resistor of around 60kOhm (probably 64k is the correct value - also seen in onther blogs) between the ID pin and ground of the micro USB connector, tells the Linx 7 to act as USB host and at the same time accepts power to charge the internal battery.

Maybe this will help others clearifying this mistery.

What I notices however is that normal charging (a default USB cable between a wall plug and the tablet is able to reach around 1A (1000mA) where in the combined host/charging mode, charging seems to be limited to 500mA.

Probbly with a suitable charger a higher current is possible (I was not able to check that), but in the combined host/charging mode 500mA seems to be the limit.

Recognizable?

Anyone an idea how to charge with a higer current in the combined host/charging mode?
roelof

Retailer: amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby cruachan » March 26th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Big thanks to the original poster, it's working for me with that USB hub. Changed both settings in the BIOS and it's working with charging as well as a wireless USB mouse and flash drive when needed.

I use my Linx 7 connected to the TV as a cheap and quiet media centre PC and it's great for that.
cruachan

Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby sebus » March 30th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Probably the only real use this hardware with Windows 8.x is good for!
sebus
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: Ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise

Postby halon5 » April 7th, 2015, 2:52 pm

2 of us at work using this adapter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-Bus-Pow ... =dann09-21
it works great after applying the Bios tweak, HD's, mice, USB sticks etc all mount and the unit keeps charging. Using an iPad charger helps a great deal as the supplied charger isn't powerful enough.
halon5

Retailer: ebay

Postby dalsoft » April 19th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Thanks @hanlon5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-Bus-Pow ... =dann09-21 worked perfectly for me . You need the bios tweak and you must shut down by holding the off button till the tablet switches completely off, not the swipe to shut down method.

Thanks Guys for all your posts and background info this is perfect you can have a fully working PC for less then < £90 all in. Awesome.
dalsoft

Retailer: Amazon

Postby xtcrefugee » April 25th, 2015, 2:55 pm

This is definitely NOT working on a Linx 7 after a BIOS update/reset. I had to do one as I'd accidentally disabled OTG entirely, and after this no combination of BIOS settings will allow charging + data at the same time. I have both the hub mentioned at the start of the thread as well as the official Dell charging + data dongle and a DIY one I made for my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Although the BIOS linked on this forum appears to be the same version and date as shipped on my Linx 7, I guess something is different and now the OTG Mode setting doesn't do anything if enabled.

Would anyone be willing to do a backup of their BIOS from a Linx 7 with working data + charging and send it to me? I made one myself before flashing the update, but stupidly deleted it when I thought the tablet was working OK.
Last edited by xtcrefugee on April 30th, 2015, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtcrefugee

Retailer: eBay

Postby akson » April 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Hello everyone! I got charging + data working on LINX7 with cheap chinese OTG-hub and bios tweak.

I first had some problems: tablet not recognizing usb devices at all, then working for awhile and disconnecting, etc.. now everything is working after changing power supply to 1A supply, which came with LINX7. I first tried it with 2A generic power supply, because I thought it would be better to have more amps. So for those not getting charging + data working, try with different power supply, it might help.
akson

Retailer: Tokmanni

Postby TheUKCrazyhorse » April 30th, 2015, 7:42 am

halon5 wrote:2 of us at work using this adapter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-Bus-Pow ... =dann09-21
it works great after applying the Bios tweak, HD's, mice, USB sticks etc all mount and the unit keeps charging. Using an iPad charger helps a great deal as the supplied charger isn't powerful enough.

I can confirm that I got it working using this adapter on my Linx7 last night. I changed the two OTG BIOS settings beforehand and I'd also gone into Device Manager and under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", altered the Power Management options for both items listed so that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" were unchecked (someone earlier in this thread mentioned this - not sure if it helped or not though). I was then able to charge the tablet and plug a 360 controller in and use it (although it didn't show under Devices & Printers for some reason, but it was under Device Manager).

If it helps, I originally used an OTG adapter plugged into the double-ended USB cable that came with the adapter and it wouldn't charge the tablet - it only worked after I used a cable I had from a phone charger (USB to micro-USB) and then the blue light came on to show it was charging. I also did a full restart, although I'm not sure if this helped.
TheUKCrazyhorse

Retailer: Ebay

PreviousNext

Return to General (Linx 7)