Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - boot from USB : General (Linx 7)

boot from USB

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

boot from USB

by clumps19 » September 18th, 2016, 4:46 pm

I have lost my sign on password for my linx 7, w8.1, so trying to reset it using PC unlocker on a USB drive. Problem is I cannot access the USB drive. In the bios/uefi settings there is no option for USB in the boot order. All i get is:

UEFI: Built-In EFI Shell
Windows boot manager

WBM does not offer further options. Following various other suggestions secure boot is disabled.

So I have no means of booting from the USB drive.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 1:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: boot from USB

by F0LLETT » September 18th, 2016, 6:50 pm

clumps19 wrote:I have lost my sign on password for my linx 7, w8.1, so trying to reset it using PC unlocker on a USB drive. Problem is I cannot access the USB drive. In the bios/uefi settings there is no option for USB in the boot order. All i get is:

UEFI: Built-In EFI Shell
Windows boot manager

WBM does not offer further options. Following various other suggestions secure boot is disabled.

So I have no means of booting from the USB drive.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.


If it cant read the stick it will not display in boot uefi boot menu. How are you formatting it?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 968
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: boot from USB

by clumps19 » September 18th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Thanks. Using the ISO2disc program to create the USB drive, I choose the option "partition style: GPT (required for UEFI boot)". It is shown as "basic FAT32" in computer management.
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 1:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: boot from USB

by F0LLETT » September 19th, 2016, 10:38 am

clumps19 wrote:Thanks. Using the ISO2disc program to create the USB drive, I choose the option "partition style: GPT (required for UEFI boot)". It is shown as "basic FAT32" in computer management.


Does it have an option for both GPT / MBR?
I know rufus does. I personally have never used ISO2disc.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 968
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: boot from USB

by clumps19 » September 19th, 2016, 10:52 pm

Seems it does not. Let me format a USB drive with Rufus and give that a go. I'll let you know how I get on (I am away at the moment and will need to get my hands on a USB keyboard - it is odd that the on screen shift key does not do the same job as on a physical keyboard for restarting into the BIOS screen.)
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 1:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: boot from USB

by dreambro2 » September 20th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Im also interested in getting a bootable usb.
Any tips?

I want to boot Kali Linux Live preferably with persistence. Have been largely unsuccessful in formatting to a bootable usb drive with 32 bit uefi.

Would a SSD work better than usb?

Any help would be appreciated
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 10:49 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: little woods
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: boot from USB

by F0LLETT » September 21st, 2016, 11:23 am

dreambro2 wrote:Im also interested in getting a bootable usb.
Any tips?

I want to boot Kali Linux Live preferably with persistence. Have been largely unsuccessful in formatting to a bootable usb drive with 32 bit uefi.

Would a SSD work better than usb?

Any help would be appreciated


How are you creating your bootable media?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 968
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: boot from USB

by dreambro2 » September 21st, 2016, 10:07 pm

tried virtual machine running windows 10 using rufus on mac with a usb stick. tried dd in mac. tried unetbootin. Drive does not get recognised as efi bootable.
maybe a fixed drive would work. Does anyone have experience running Kali Linux on Linx Tablet apart from a virtual machine?
Thanks for your help
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 10:49 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: little woods
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: boot from USB

by clumps19 » September 25th, 2016, 2:07 pm

By way of an update, formatting the thumb drive with Rufus worked a treat, adopting the GPT / MBR option, (this is not available under the "ISO2disc" program I mentioned) the drive was recognised. No reference to a USB or removal drive appears in the uefi but "UEFI:General UDisk 5.00" does come up (in addition to "windows boot manager" and "UEFI built in EFI Shell").

For what it is worth, the simplest way I found to resolve the lost sign on password issue - if you have backed up all your data and do not have too many other programs to (re)install - is to do a factory reset of the computer; the instructions are under "Linx - Help" entitled, "factory reset" - see:

http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 9b652dd379.

Thanks to Follett for your help.
Member
Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: August 23rd, 2015, 1:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: boot from USB

by F0LLETT » September 26th, 2016, 12:04 am

clumps19 wrote:By way of an update, formatting the thumb drive with Rufus worked a treat, adopting the GPT / MBR option, (this is not available under the "ISO2disc" program I mentioned) the drive was recognised. No reference to a USB or removal drive appears in the uefi but "UEFI:General UDisk 5.00" does come up (in addition to "windows boot manager" and "UEFI built in EFI Shell").

For what it is worth, the simplest way I found to resolve the lost sign on password issue - if you have backed up all your data and do not have too many other programs to (re)install - is to do a factory reset of the computer; the instructions are under "Linx - Help" entitled, "factory reset" - see:

http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 9b652dd379.

Thanks to Follett for your help.


Glad you got it sorted.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 968
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home


Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Remove Ad