Remove Advertisement


32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

General chit-chat on the Linx 7

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby RevReese » February 18th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Well, so far I have been told that the Windows 10 upgrade is not recommended and you do it at your own risk as it can delete the recovery partition and cause other problems.

They also confirmed that apps only install to C:\

But the one thing they keep skipping over is the main issue: namely the small hard drive!
I have replied to them again about this, emphasising the issue and will update here if i hear back.
RevReese
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Remove Ad



Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby F0LLETT » February 18th, 2016, 10:42 pm

RevReese wrote:Well, so far I have been told that the Windows 10 upgrade is not recommended and you do it at your own risk as it can delete the recovery partition and cause other problems.

They also confirmed that apps only install to C:\

But the one thing they keep skipping over is the main issue: namely the small hard drive!
I have replied to them again about this, emphasising the issue and will update here if i hear back.


Now that sounds like complete and utter rubbish. Upgrading to Windows 10 does not touch recovery.
It can give issues with touch driver / sensor, but thats generally easy to fix.

One last thing to check.
Downloads and temp folders. If you download stuff etc etc, these can grow to consume massive amounts of space.

Else I would advise, backup everything you want to keep and do a refresh (through recovery menu) wiping all your data. This will put the device into an as new state. You should have full amount of space then. You should get 6 to 9GB used with rest spare.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 895
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby RevReese » February 19th, 2016, 4:06 pm

F0LLETT wrote:
RevReese wrote:Well, so far I have been told that the Windows 10 upgrade is not recommended and you do it at your own risk as it can delete the recovery partition and cause other problems.

They also confirmed that apps only install to C:\

But the one thing they keep skipping over is the main issue: namely the small hard drive!
I have replied to them again about this, emphasising the issue and will update here if i hear back.


Now that sounds like complete and utter rubbish. Upgrading to Windows 10 does not touch recovery.
It can give issues with touch driver / sensor, but thats generally easy to fix.

One last thing to check.
Downloads and temp folders. If you download stuff etc etc, these can grow to consume massive amounts of space.

Else I would advise, backup everything you want to keep and do a refresh (through recovery menu) wiping all your data. This will put the device into an as new state. You should have full amount of space then. You should get 6 to 9GB used with rest spare.


That's what i thought, i didn't think it would touch the recovery but i thought the manufacturers would know better than me! :)
I have emptied temp and downloads but there was no noticeable change, i will try wiping back to factory and see if it works.
RevReese
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby F0LLETT » February 19th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Have you tried disk clean up? or going the hard way, show hidden files, users. your name, local, temp.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 895
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby RevReese » February 21st, 2016, 4:00 pm

F0LLETT wrote:Have you tried disk clean up? or going the hard way, show hidden files, users. your name, local, temp.


Yeah, it made no difference as i haven't used it extensively, but i am going to install ccleaner to have a crack at it just in case there's something i missed! ;)
RevReese
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby F0LLETT » February 21st, 2016, 4:23 pm

Win10 Home on its own from new install is 9.27GB.
So anything over that is either junk or stuff you have on SSD.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 895
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby RevReese » February 28th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Well, i continued emailing Exertis and they are now sending out a USB Recovery media so i can reinstall Windows.

I have done more digging and found others with a similar issue for other devices and it turns out for them they had the wrong firmware installed so it made their hard drives smaller.
This seems to be my problem, but i will go through the reinstall using the USB drive and see if that fixes it, if not then i am out of ideas!
RevReese
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby F0LLETT » February 28th, 2016, 8:16 pm

RevReese wrote:Well, i continued emailing Exertis and they are now sending out a USB Recovery media so i can reinstall Windows.

I have done more digging and found others with a similar issue for other devices and it turns out for them they had the wrong firmware installed so it made their hard drives smaller.
This seems to be my problem, but i will go through the reinstall using the USB drive and see if that fixes it, if not then i am out of ideas!


Not sure I buy that. If you right click on C:. What does it state for capacity?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 895
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby RevReese » February 29th, 2016, 12:52 pm

F0LLETT wrote:
RevReese wrote:Well, i continued emailing Exertis and they are now sending out a USB Recovery media so i can reinstall Windows.

I have done more digging and found others with a similar issue for other devices and it turns out for them they had the wrong firmware installed so it made their hard drives smaller.
This seems to be my problem, but i will go through the reinstall using the USB drive and see if that fixes it, if not then i am out of ideas!


Not sure I buy that. If you right click on C:. What does it state for capacity?


9.45 GB
RevReese
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon.co.uk
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Re: 32 GB Hard Drive or 10GB? SDCard Working?

Postby F0LLETT » February 29th, 2016, 5:57 pm

ok, can you right click on "this pc" in explorer and click manage.
In the select disk management and it will load drive partition info.

Have a look at partitions and sizes. What are they?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 895
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

PreviousNext

Return to General (Linx 7)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests