Remove Advertisement

Linx Tablet VS Opposition

General chit-chat on Linx Devices.
Forum rules This forum is for general Linx tablet chat, if you have a post/query regarding a certain Linx device, please post it into the correct area for that tablet.

Linx Tablet VS Opposition

Postby JAHLU » February 19th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Let's look at some comparisons, with the current GBP prices taken from Amazon:

Linx 7" tablet @ £70: ample 1280x800 resolution, quad-core Z3735G 1.3GHz Atom CPU, 32GB internal storage, and 1GB RAM. Very popular, mostly very positive reviews across the board.

Lenovo 7.85" MIIX 3 tablet @ £100: very low 1024x 768 resolution, quad-core Z3735G 1.3GHz CPU, 32GB internal storage, and 2GB RAM. No reviews from what I saw on Amazon.

Toshiba Encore Mini 7" tablet @ £70: very low 1024x600 resolution, quad-core Z3735G 1.3GHz CPU, 16GB internal storage, and 1GB RAM. Seemingly low popularity, and mostly negative reviews.

VOYO A1 MINI 8" tablet @ £87: ample 1280x800 resolution, quad-core Z3735F 1.3GHz CPU, 32GB internal storage, and 2GB RAM. Mostly positive reviews. Doesn't have the same presence as the Linx, but perhaps still worth considering.

I suppose, in defence of the low resolution tablets, I assume the rendering will be smoother since there's less pixels to render; perhaps this would be particularly useful for games? That's at least how it works on regular devices, like standard computers.

The VOYO A1 MINI actually looks superior to the Linx tablet by quite a considerable amount, for a very similar price. With 2GB RAM VS 1GB RAM, keeping the 32GB storage and presumably the same sort of quality CPU, although slightly different model, so I'm not sure what that means.

The Linx tablet has the bonus of being very popular, so lots of reviews and lots of support, hence this handy website.

What I've noticed, is that these tablets seem to use SSD technology (I'm told it's similar) making the RAM far less important, provided you have the OS using the internal storage for things like the pagefile and cache.

If you're like me, a secure case and keyboard is incredibly important, because after all, we want these things for portability, right? I know I do. So, I've always had to take into account whether I can get a decent case in which the tablet will safely fit.

Any thoughts?

NOTE: I posted this in this forum because it is based around the Linx tablet, but I understand if a mod wishes to move it to somewhere else.
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
JAHLU
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: PC World

Remove Ad

Re: Linx Tablet VS Opposition

Postby nememo » February 19th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Personally, one I'm keeping my eye on is the Onda V975W @ £120. "Retina" 2048x1536 resolution, 10" screen, quad-core Z3735F 1.33GHz Atom CPU, 32GB internal storage, and 2GB RAM. Seems to be a very popular tablet overseas - and for the price:specs ratio I can see why!

These tablets all use something similar to SSD technology - eMMC. Its the same idea, being flash storage, but it's a lot slower - more akin to normal HDD speeds.

The difference between the Z3735F (Linx 8, 10) and Z3735G (Linx 7) is that the F has a 64-bit memory bus (@ 10.6GB/s) as opposed to the G with a 32-bit bus (@5.3GHz). Otherwise they're identical.
Linx 8 Owner
nememo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby JAHLU » February 19th, 2015, 5:53 pm

:o Woah, that tablet looks amazing for the price, I'm gonna have to Amazon it. EDIT: Scratch that, all I could find were near-10" models. :\ That's far too big for my liking. I'm happy wiht 7 or 8", as I'm more after discreetness and portability.

Yeah, I noticed that eMMC thing but wasn't entirely sure what it was. You sure it's only akin to regular HDD speeds? Seems faster than my gaming rig with a 7200rpm HDD. xD (yet to take the plunge in getting an SSD on this rig)

Does that bus thing make a noticeable difference in performance?
Something really clever and insightful stupid goes here.

Guitarist, computer geek, lover of the German language, on-and-off gamer, and love improving my fitness and overall health.
JAHLU
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: PC World

Postby Markstablet2014 » February 20th, 2015, 6:20 am

If your looking for a big tablet then the linx 10 is the best one to get
Markstablet2014
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos

Postby nememo » February 20th, 2015, 7:14 am

The disk speed will be similar to a high-end HDD, with certain benefits - but far from the heights of SSD speeds.

The bus speed won't have a significant difference - the minute you trying doing anything seriously taxing on the CPU both will grind to a halt. They're still CPUs for tablets at the end of the day - fine for browsing and facebook but I'd perhaps keep CFD simulations to a workstation class machine!

And if you look out there, there really are a lot of better tablets than the Linx (particularly the 10 - thats a HUGE market). Look at that Onda V975W - identical specs but a retina screen and a much better casing - and it costs less (although there's no cashback).
Linx 8 Owner
nememo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: Staples

Postby westonpf » February 20th, 2015, 7:39 am

The problem with most of these lower end Chinese tablets, Linx included is battery life. They don't have the staying power of the iPad or higher end Android tablets. I've seen a number of people comment on poor battery life of the Atom based Android tablets as well. To keep costs down there are compromises.

With Windows I had always thought that higher resolution meant more on desktop screen but at a smaller size, fine where resolution increases with screen size but how does this work on a tablet size screen with apps that aren't optimised for touch. High resolution on iPad and Android are fine as the app interface is designed for touch. The same can't be said for Windows just yet.

If the Onda tablet is anything like the Tecelast Air II it looks good but battery is poor and performance is no better than Linx.

Looking at the specs you can't help but think that they've all come off the same production line in a Chinese factory and the only thing that differentiates them is the final printing and packaging.

If you do buy one from China then be careful I've noticed that some are now stating that windows won't be activated if the language is changed from Chinese. At least aliexpress and Geekbuyer are telling you before you buy.
westonpf
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby jasoninertia » February 20th, 2015, 11:41 am

the Lenovo 7.85 looks nice , its almost an ipad mini shape , with the same resolution, im happy with my linx 8 but I would get another windows tablet now they are so cheap.
jasoninertia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: game

Postby K1lo » February 24th, 2015, 11:00 am

The Onda V975W looks really nice.. but I have to admit part of me wonders what extra 'software' is included on these devices, especially given the Lenovo farce. The screen resolution sounds amazing, I'd love to pick one of these up but as already mentioned my concern would be the battery life and build quality.
K1lo

Postby Jim » March 6th, 2015, 2:27 pm

The Teclast X98 seems to get some even better reviews. I must admit I am considering both models and I also like the Ipad Mini form factor and spec of the Teclast X89.
Jim
Original Member
Original Member

Retailer: eBay

Postby gh97 » April 10th, 2015, 8:32 pm

There's a new Lenovo tab out, the Miix 3 with 7.85" screen. It has a 4:3 screen ratio and 2GB ram with the Atom z3735f. Looks pretty decent for the price (£100 on Amazon) but the screen resolution is only 1024x768. Not seen any in depth reviews but that sounds pretty terrible. Could be ok with that screen size but it's a shame as otherwise it looks great, it even has an aluminium rear case. I suppose they have to cut costs somewhere to compete with the Linx's and other budget tabs.

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

edit: just seen this listed in the 1st post... sigh. Anyway anybody else spotted this tablet, thoughts?
Linx 8 owner
gh97
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Retailer: Ebuyer
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Next

Return to General (All Devices)