Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Micro SD compatibility update : General (All Devices)

Micro SD compatibility update

General chit-chat on Linx Devices.

Forum rules

This forum is for general Linx tablet chat, if you have a post/query regarding a certain Linx device, please post it into the correct area for that tablet.

Micro SD compatibility update

by 90Ninety » October 26th, 2018, 2:44 pm

I have tried to find a useful table or list of compatible/ bench- tested Micro SD cards for Windows , though I have not found one , it seems there is not one here either ; which I find strange since the tablet market is growing and their onboard storage is usually on the short side .

I was very reluctant to create a new thread since I kinda assumed this must have been covered already and creating threads is frowned upon for those that haven't yet searched the topic they are posting , if there is a thread or a post somewhere that I have missed then I apologise ( please also direct me to it ) . However I digress as the only threads I have found is where people struggling with new micro SD cards , without any consistency in resolutions or official support . I myself have purchased three different SD cards with the hope of getting one that is reasonably fast ( More than 50MBPs read and Write ) and failed miserably

However the first SD card I purchased ( 128GB Sandisk Extreme) At first Appeared fast and gave 100+MBps Read and around 40 Write , however it would randomly disconnect . I researched why the Sandisk was disconnected , and I found theat there is a particular driver that I had to install ( A sticky Post by our moderator Follet in the vision subforum ) . After installing this driver the reliability of the SD was perfect but the speeds were seriously diminished , with around 10MB read and write .
The second card I purchased ( the best so far) was the Samsung Evo 128GB , as this gave 40MBps read and write , even with the automatically installed drivers . However it has now slowed to 30Mps Read and write and certain apps and games are taking minutes to load up The thrid Card was the Samsung Extreme U2/A2 ( latest as of writing ) which does not work at all , with a code 10 error .

I think it would be really helpful if everyone could chip in with their own experiences , scores and recommendations of Micro SD , so that we can make informed purchases . I have paid now over £100 on SD cards , yet there are still users that are reporting to have faster cards and I have no specific information on their cards .

All replies are welcomed
You can only learn how to fix things , if you learn to break them first .
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Currys
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Micro SD compatibility update

by Pete12x64 » October 26th, 2018, 4:38 pm

I tried a few USB sticks, portable HDD and SD Cards using Crystal Disk Mark. I also tried my SD card with and without Bitlocker.

Nothing you plug into the USB port seems to go any faster than ~22MB/s Read and ~15MB/s write. For random read/write then it falls to less than 10MB/s.

The micro SD slot seems to suffer the same restriction.

I have in mine a Sandisk Evo Plus 64GB, that has write cache enabled (I don't intend to remove it). That at least makes it useful.

The main system C-drve inside the tablet does perform somewhat better, sequential read/write 140/90 MB/s, and randon read/write ~30/14MB/s.

Hope that helps.
Linx12x64 + Win10 Pro + BitLocker + Samsung EvoPlus 64Gb + BT Mouse
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: Microsoft
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by 90Ninety » November 11th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Well I have now purchased four different 128GB Micro SD cards with the hope to find one that gives the advertised speed .

The fourth is a Sandisk Ultra U1 128GB which initially seemed to work very well with near advertised speed Seq Read 80MB , Seq Write 60 MB with the Official Linx Vision Drivers

However I have found that when restarting , or booting up , the card is not mounted and requires re-inserting - which is a massive shame :roll:

I have tried other drivers but the speed is massively diminished .

This is highly frustrating as I just wanted something decent for the long trip I am going on next week Sigh.... Even the reliable Samsung Evo seems really slow for some games and apps to load ( several minuites )

Maybe I will try the Samsung Evo Plus/Pro/ Extreme next
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by 90Ninety » November 11th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Well I have now purchased four different 128GB Micro SD cards with the hope to find one that gives the advertised speed .

The fourth is a Sandisk Ultra U1 128GB which initially seemed to work very well with near advertised speed Seq Read 80MB , Seq Write 60 MB with the Official Linx Vision Drivers

However I have found that when restarting , or booting up , the card is not mounted and requires re-inserting - which is a massive shame :roll:

I have tried other drivers but the speed is massively diminished .

This is highly frustrating as I just wanted something decent for the long trip I am going on next week Sigh.... Even the reliable Samsung Evo seems really slow for some games and apps to load ( several minuites )

Maybe I will try the Samsung Evo Plus/Pro/ Extreme next
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie