Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Out of warranty? : General (All Devices)

Out of warranty?

General chit-chat on Linx Devices.

Forum rules

This forum is for general Linx tablet chat, if you have a post/query regarding a certain Linx device, please post it into the correct area for that tablet.

Out of warranty?

by Sprootle » November 23rd, 2016, 12:08 pm

I bought a Linx 10 tablet as a gift in Dec 2014.

The giftee told me last week that when she plugged the charger into the tablet, it immediately switched off and a burning smell came from the charger.

She now cannot switch the tablet back on so I'm assuming it's fried?

I can't find my receipt although I will be able to prove the purchase via a credit card statement, but that's if it is still under warranty.

Were these tablets covered by the standard one year warranty at the time? I bought it from Argos.

I would've expected it to last more than two years.

Thanks very much.

Linx Tablet: Linx 10

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Out of warranty?

by F0LLETT » November 23rd, 2016, 10:47 pm

Sprootle wrote:I bought a Linx 10 tablet as a gift in Dec 2014.

The giftee told me last week that when she plugged the charger into the tablet, it immediately switched off and a burning smell came from the charger.

She now cannot switch the tablet back on so I'm assuming it's fried?

I can't find my receipt although I will be able to prove the purchase via a credit card statement, but that's if it is still under warranty.

Were these tablets covered by the standard one year warranty at the time? I bought it from Argos.

I would've expected it to last more than two years.

Thanks very much.

Standard 1 year.
Besides, they wouldn't just burn up. You sure it was connected correctly or the socket was'nt damaged.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Sprootle » November 24th, 2016, 1:42 pm

As far as I am aware she doesn't have a problem with the wall socket.
It would seem the PSU gave it a fatal dose of amps before committing Harakiri.

Linx Tablet: Linx 10

by F0LLETT » November 25th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Sprootle wrote:As far as I am aware she doesn't have a problem with the wall socket.
It would seem the PSU gave it a fatal dose of amps before committing Harakiri.

It doesn't work like that. I would get the PSU checked first. If PSU is fine, then it could be something has gone in Tablet (very very rare).
I was also talking about the Tablet socket for charging not wall socket. People tend to damage them, end result can be shorting out 5v to ground.

My Home server (NAS) has been running for the last 7 years non stop. PSU blew up yesterday, took out the mains trip switch. Now to me, I would say the bridge rectifier (4 diodes, used to make AC into DC) had gone short ciruit (shorting the mains live and neutral). This does not mean my NAS is dead, just the PSU. I would have loved to pull it apart today to confirm it, but silly me picked up my wifes lunch and she got my NAS. She had a shock when she went to lunch, lol.

Anyway, its out of warranty, so you could remove back cover and try a few things, like look at board to see if there is any visual signs of damage. You could also pull battery connector out and put back in.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home