Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - sd cards mounted to increase storage : General (All Devices)

sd cards mounted to increase storage

General chit-chat on Linx Devices.

Forum rules

This forum is for general Linx tablet chat, if you have a post/query regarding a certain Linx device, please post it into the correct area for that tablet.

sd cards mounted to increase storage

by Dropsboms » March 8th, 2018, 4:27 pm

hi all,
not sure if this is in the correct place but here goes.

like many I'm having problems with win10 updates messing up ability to output to a tv screen etc. Cannot fix it so I'm thinking if i update to latest win10 and go from there BUT i dont have the required space for the update.

So my question is if i buy and mount a sd card and trick it into thinking the c: is larger than it physically is by mounting sd card into empty folder on c: will this enable windows to update because if not this new tablet is actually not fit for purpose but i can't return it as ive lost the receipt.

thanx in advance for any/all help as ?im at my wits end trying to get tablet to display on tv

all the best ... drops

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: sd cards mounted to increase storage

by Squirrel2015 » March 8th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Hi Dropsboms

I like your trend of thinking :)

How did you have in mind, re getting C:\ to think a mounted mSD card was an extension of C:\, rather than another drive?

I've added some Symbolic links to install MS Office to my mSD card, D:\ and that seems to be working OK. I've also managed to install some other programs to D:\ mSD, trying to keep C:\ purely for Windows 10. I've now got 12.4Gb free on the 32Gb C:\ drive.

I also re-installed Windows 10 Fall update using the MS Media Creation Tool, which seems to be more compact than the cummulative updates, although it still needed smaller updates. I suspect I might be doing this every time there is a new major update, ie every 6 months ;)

I'd certainly be interested in an alternative, though.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Amazon

by Dropsboms » March 9th, 2018, 7:33 am

thankyou for the reply

yes my plan is to mount sd card onto an empty folder on the C: i was planning on following the guide and writing a script to mount card automatically, each time device is turned on

or if possible

pop the back off get inside and see if theres another way of increasing c or even a d drive but im assuming the original plan is easiest. although i have a 500Gb drive lying about from a ps4 i upgraded to a bigger one that came as an external unit maybe fiddle with that and put a micro usb male connector if they sell them although that'll defeat the objective of a tablet.

to be fair this WAS a fantastic budget option for a tablet but if it wont / can't update then its usesless they should refund people but good luck with that idea i think not to mention the bios update microsoft pushed with the update

anyway this is turning into a novel

...Drops

Linx Tablet: Linx 8

by Tramalho » March 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm

i use an micro sd 128gb to extend my c partition and intalled all programas there. seems to work good.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: ebay
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Squirrel2015 » March 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Hi Tramalho

Thanks for joining in this discussion.

By 'extending' C:\ drive, do you mean that you can now use the mSD for extra storage etc with the device seeing it as another drive, ie D:\

OR ...

... do you mean you've managed to find a way to have C:\ and D:\ 'merged' so that you have 150Gb showing as one drive, which Windows 10 and other Microsoft programs will install onto? This would be great if this is possible and please share how ;)

However, what I think Dropsboms was meaning by 'mounting' was to do this 2nd suggestion, ie see one larger 'merged' drive. Please confirm, or correct, me, Dropsboms

Thanks

It's easy enough to fit an mSD card for extra space but Windows, and other MS programs, ie Office, some MS apps, will only install on C:\ drive. By using Symbolic links, I've got MS Office to install on D:\ drive but thats a different method entirely.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by Pete12x64 » March 10th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I have mine mounted as D: drive and moved the common folders to it (eg Documents, look at the properties and you get the option to Move it). I also install or move apps to it as well (you can move some Win10 apps from the apps list)

The problem I find with the Linx12x64 is that on a cold boot it does not recognise the SD card early enough and so misses the things installed there. A hot reboot fixes this.
Linx12x64 + Win10 Pro + BitLocker + Samsung EvoPlus 64Gb + BT Mouse
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx Versare 12"
Retailer: Microsoft

by F0LLETT » March 13th, 2018, 9:06 am

Pete12x64 wrote:I have mine mounted as D: drive and moved the common folders to it (eg Documents, look at the properties and you get the option to Move it). I also install or move apps to it as well (you can move some Win10 apps from the apps list)

I do this too and mount D:\ (200GB SD) as C:\Games. So I can access it either way. Some stuff will refuse to install on SD, so pointing to C:\Games tricks it into installing on SD.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision

by Squirrel2015 » March 13th, 2018, 11:06 am

F0LLETT wrote:I do this too and mount D:\ (200GB SD) as C:\Games. So I can access it either way. Some stuff will refuse to install on SD, so pointing to C:\Games tricks it into installing on SD.

Is this by using Symbolic link, Follet?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'So I can access it either way'
Thanks
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by F0LLETT » March 14th, 2018, 9:17 am

Squirrel2015 wrote:
F0LLETT wrote:I do this too and mount D:\ (200GB SD) as C:\Games. So I can access it either way. Some stuff will refuse to install on SD, so pointing to C:\Games tricks it into installing on SD.

Thanks

I guess so, if thats what they call it. You alter it in disk management. At extra mount point.
Ive also found alot of older stuff doesn't like ExFAT and won't install, so this gets around that to.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision

by Squirrel2015 » March 14th, 2018, 11:37 am

F0LLETT wrote:
Squirrel2015 wrote:

Thanks

I guess so, if thats what they call it. You alter it in disk management. At extra mount point.
Ive also found alot of older stuff doesn't like ExFAT and won't install, so this gets around that to.

Thanks, Follett
I think mounting D:\ as C:\* is different from Symbolic link. I'm intrrigued by this so will be looking into it. There will, no doubt, be pros and cons to both so I'll try to work out what would suit me best.

Basically, I only want Windows on C:\ drive and everything else, including MS Office on mSD card, which I seem to have achieved by using Symbolic links. I understand MS software will only install on C:\ drive, hence my interest.

Needless to say, I (and many others) would like to find a way to 'extend' C:\ drive capacity to more than 32/64Gb as it's not much room for Win 10. It would be great if there was a way to 'merge' C:\ and mSD into one larger drive ;)

Thanks for your help
PS - What did you mean re "I do this too and mount D:\ (200GB SD) as C:\Games. So I can access it either way", please? Thanks Sq ;)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Next