Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Internal Drive filling up - How to create space, pls? : General (All Devices)

Internal Drive filling up - How to create space, pls?

General chit-chat on Linx Devices.

Forum rules

This forum is for general Linx tablet chat, if you have a post/query regarding a certain Linx device, please post it into the correct area for that tablet.

Internal Drive filling up - How to create space, pls?

by Squirrel2015 » December 3rd, 2017, 8:22 pm

Hi

I have Linx 1010B and love it. However, the internal drive is getting quite full, ie 3.72 Gb free of 28.6 Gb. I do have a 32 Gb MicroSD card in place which shows 23.7 Gb free.

I store all but programs on SD card. C Drive has only programs, including Windows 10. I'm concerned that further Windows updates are likely to quickly fill C drive and render the device to not function properly.

Is it possibly to install programs to the SD card? Is it possible to move installed programs to the SD drive?

I'd really appreciate any advice regarding lack of space on C drive.

Many thanks
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Internal Drive filling up - How to create space, pls?

by fondleslab2014 » December 5th, 2017, 11:37 am

I have bricked a couple of 32gb devices because windows update tries to swallow too many at once.

You could try cleaning up the updates already applied to your device.
Code: Select all
<a href=https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125217/disk-cleanup-for-windows-10-cumulative-updates">microsoft support tool</a>

maybe search for a way to put windows update downloads folder onto external media. Probably in the registry somewhere.

Dism Clean-Up (from the command line) might also help making more space available.

good luck.

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: eBay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1 Pro

by Squirrel2015 » December 5th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Thanks very much, fondleslab2014

I appreciate your response and your suggestions.

I like your suggestion re Windows Updates going to the MicroSDCard, as they will be ongoing and cumulative :( I didn't know it was possible to clean up some previous updates, so thanks for the link. I'll try that.

I have made a start to create more space on the internal drive by moving some apps over but I haven't tried them out again yet so performance may be affected.

So, hopefully, I'll get this sorted. I do realise I have some extra software installed but I use all and that's why I got the device in the first place. I'd like to get rid of games, x-box etc as I never (will) use them so a waste of valuable space. In time, maybe I'll find out how ;)

Again, many thanks. When I find the solution to this issue, I'll be posting back so that other folks can take advantage of the methods to create some space.

Again, many thanks
J
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by fondleslab2014 » December 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Also you can put the recovery image onto usb stick and elect to delete the recovery partition.

It's not really a problem if you have windows 10 because they (msft) now consider windows to be a service.
Anyone with a build older than 1511 or with BayTrail hardware will no longer receive updates.

You will need a usb stick that is at least 4GB, but 8 or 16 would be better.

I did this with a Windows RT tablet to free up the space for windows updates.

After the update from Windows RT 8.0 to 8.1, the original recovery image could have failed disastrously with an unrecoverable blue screen. Definitely worth avoiding bitlocker which complicates recovery if the drive is also corrupted. (absolutely no way out)

by Squirrel2015 » December 6th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Hi fondleslab2014

I've managed to create some space so not so urgent now, thank goodness. I've achieved this mainly by uninstalling some games that I don't / won't ever use. Many of the games that were installed with Windows are still installed so I have yet to discover how I can delete these ones.

You mentioned changing the location where Windows Updates are stored. I found this site and am considering trying this but I'll get a larger MicroSD first, otherwise I will eventually end up in the same situation again, it being 32Gb microSD ;) So, this is the site I've found - You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

I'm also going to uninstall MS Office and then do 'Custom' install, to install only the specific programs I use. That should also save a lot of space. I may also see if Office can be installed on the MicroSD, along with other installations, although I suspect I may notice a loss of performance. I can always uninstall and re-install to the C drive, I suppose, if that's the case ;)

So, to summarise, I intend to -

Get large capacity MicroSD, preferably with fast transfer rate
Uninstall any apps, especially games, I don't use
Uninstall and re-install programs to the MicroSD (assuming not too much loss in performance)
Get Windows Updates to store on MicroSC

Hopefully, that should keep me going for a lot longer.

What is the max capacity MicroSD that the 1010B will accept, please? I think I've read on this forum that someone has used 128Gb. Can anyone verify that, please?

Many thanks for any help and advice
J
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by fondleslab2014 » December 6th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I have used 128GB sdxc with mine.

Check the file system format. Could be exFAT which isn't portable across non-Microsoft OS.

by Squirrel2015 » December 6th, 2017, 10:59 pm

fondleslab2014 wrote:I have used 128GB sdxc with mine.

Check the file system format. Could be exFAT which isn't portable across non-Microsoft OS.

Hi again
Thanks, but how do I do that, please? ;)
As I only have Win 10 on Linx, Laptop and PC, do I need to worry about it?
J
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

by fondleslab2014 » December 7th, 2017, 12:59 pm

No it's probably not the sort of thing you'll have problems with if you don't use MacOS X or Linux / Unix

Open File Explorer and select properties for the device
(right-mouse click / press and hold finger on item until context menu appears - bottom of list)

or open the Command Prompt filed under System Utilities
type in chkdsk d:

Most likely it would be drive D: but could be E:, F:, G: etc, etc.

Windows Vista and XP machines will corrupt exFAT drives without a hotfix. (still available from microsoft)

SOLVED: Internal Drive filling up - How to create space, pl

by Squirrel2015 » Today, 3:53 pm

SOLVED!

I decided to do a complete, fresh new install of Windows 10 and, obviously, re-install all the necessary software. I now have loads of space. Presumably, I will have a few downloads quite quickly to complete it but I'm pleased with the outcome. It's really pretty fast and I love it :)

Thanks for all the help and advice, fondleslab2014 :)
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie