Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - [Guide] Windows user file backup with the Toolkit . : Guides (All Devices)

[Guide] Windows user file backup with the Toolkit .

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

[Guide] Windows user file backup with the Toolkit .

by bodge99 » July 22nd, 2015, 4:15 am

Toolkit recovery of windows user files.

This is aimed at those who want to backup any user files from the windows partition before erasing/rewriting the tablet drive. Very useful after a borked windows update or with a non-booting system etc.

My Linux based toolkit is used for this.

You cannot normally access the tablet drive C: if the tablet is hibernated. A flag set in hyberfil.sys disallows potentially dangerous changes to be made if the file system is in this state.
The "normal" way of clearing this flag is to properly shut down windows. However Microsoft, in their wisdom, disguise a hibernated system state as "shut down". This is done to allow windows to appear to be "fast booting".
Yes, MS are lying to you!!.

Anyway, It's easy to access the windows partition in a read only mode from the toolkit. You can then use the GUI file manager to copy user files (musc, pictures, documents etc.) to a backup device.

I'll describe the procedure using a Linux GUI file manager. Windows users should find this very easy to use.

Boot the tablet with the toolkit.

You'll need to create a directory within the Linux filesystem. The windows partition will be mounted here. I've done it this way as it's slightly easier to understand. Apologies to any Unix/Linux users out there.

Open a terminal and become Super User (aka Root):

sudo su {Become the Super User}
mkdir /mnt1 {Create a directory for use with your windows C: drive.}

I'll assume here that my NTFS formatted external drive appears as sdb1.
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt {mount the external drive to /mnt}

Now mount the tablet drive C: partition to the filesystem in read only mode.
mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt1 {mount the filesystem to /mnt1}

Now run the file manager. Double click on the "File System" icon on the desktop.
From "File", click on "New Tab" (or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + t"). The file manager will now show 2 tabs.
Click on the left hand tab (labelled "File System") to select it. Double click on the "mnt1" directory to open it. The title of the tab will change to "mnt1".
This is your windows C: drive.

Now click on the second tab to select it. Double click on the "mnt" directory to open it. The tab title will change to "mnt".
This is your backup device.

You are going to copy from tab 1 (/mnt1) to tab 2 (/mnt)

If you have been using default windows file storage locations then everything that you will want to keep will be in the "Users" directory. (Yes O.K. Microsoft call them "folders"...)

With the first tab active (the windows partition) right click on the "Users" directory and select copy.

From the second tab, right click and paste. The "Users" directory will now be copied to the backup device. You will see that a few files cannot be copied. These are normally system related files that are of no interest here. Just "Skip All" when prompted.
If you have used any non standard save locations outside of the "Users" directory, then copy them now using the same procedure. This will be your last chance if you are overwriting the full drive or reformatting etc.
It is worth checking that all of your personal files have been copied as expected. NTFS is fairly stable, but it does have its fair share of bugs and directory & file naming limitations.

All done. Shut down the tookit by typing "poweroff" into the terminal (or use the menu shutdown command).

You can now connect your backup device to a windows machine for further file backup tasks...

Bodge99
bodge99

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Windows user file backup with the Toolkit .

by danskeman » July 22nd, 2015, 4:33 pm

Perhaps I am missing the point, but I have (at risk of being repetitive) managed to do full partition backup AND restore using Macrium Reflect Free version 5 as discussed on Linx 8 forum.

Once you boot up with the macrium usb reovery stick, you can go to a dos box and copy files from c drive and copy files easily to usb.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Deleted User 1605 » July 23rd, 2015, 7:27 am

Danskeman:

You're not missing the point at all... I've previously provided a Linux based "toolkit" and drive images to the forum for the purposes of tablet recovery & maintenance etc.

I don't use windows at all and therefore have no interest in any windows based solutions.

You do.. and that's perfectly fine.

I made the toolkit available to the forum as the use of it helped solve some forum members problems.. I use it to allow the rapid change of operating systems on my kit, tablets included.

I'm not saying my way is better at all.. What it does do is work totally independently from anything that might be installed on the tablets with no prerequisites at all..

Will your method work on a non-booting tablet?? Most people don't even consider backup solutions until they hit a problem. It's a bit difficult installing tools onto a system that won't even start..

Kudos to you for even considering a "worse case scenario". In my experience most folk don't and many will not use even basic tools even after a particular problem has been solved.

This specific post was made in response to a forum member who has a tablet that won't boot after a windows update crash. I'm just trying to help.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by danskeman » July 25th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Please accept my apolologies if you thought I was being critical. My only intent was to suggest a possible alternative which I believe works well and is easy to use.

You need to install macrium once to make the usb recovery stick. You can backup and restore from the stick thereafter. You could remove macrium from tablet thereafter if you like.

I prefer to make backup from tablet though as in usb mode you need a usb tablet and keyboard (unless you are clever enough to modify the boot wim file - I'm not).

From normal windows, you can use touchscreen facilities to backup which is a bit easier. All restores have to be done from usb boot mode though.

Yesterday I totally bricked my linx 8 trying to install w10. Booted into usb stick and did a full W8.1 image recovery in 12 minutes.

I assume when you ask if macrium will work from a non booting pc, you mean a normal boot not a usb boot. If so, then the answer is yes.

Would you be interested in putting an iso of the macrium usb recovery stick on your (soon to be) iso section?

I would be happy to make one. Then users would not even need to install anything on their tablet.

I could not say such an iso would work on linx 7 or 10, but as it needs external usb mouse and keyboard in usb boot mode ie no special drivers as far as I know (I could be wrong here though), then I think it should work.

I could put a copy of the macrium recovery iso on my public dropbox folder if anybody is interested trying it.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Deleted User 1605 » July 26th, 2015, 5:43 am

Danskeman: Hi, no I didn't think that you were being critical.. Very well done for what you have achieved. More power to you for this!

It's perfectly logical that windows folk want to use windows targeted tools. I don't run windows and prefer tools that can be used for "anything".

I bought my first Linx 10 with the idea of installing Linux onto it as a general purpose tablet (I'm not a gamer, beyond Mame for Galaxians/Moon Cresta etc.)
I didn't appreciate the specific problems that I would encounter "along the way", mainly due to the design of the SOC fitted to the tablets.
However, I do enjoy messing with hardware so this "morphed" into another set of projects..

I now have 7 tablets. 2 Linx 10, a Linx 7 & 8, a Linx Commtiva N700 and a couple of Zoostorms. The Commtiva has been modded to be a bespoke satnav running open mapping for the car. The Zoostorms are used as PDF readers (my own reader software, done my way).
The Linx tablets are used just for tablet development work..

All of the tablets, apart from the first Linx 10 were bought damaged or faulty and repaired. I've only had one Linx 8 that turned out to be totally kaput.

All good fun!

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by danskeman » July 26th, 2015, 10:18 am

Good luck with your toolkit. I have a little linux experience on my raspberry pi 2 and that has been fun setting it up as
1. plex server
2. ftp server
3. samba server
4. dropbox client
5. file server
6. google cloud print server
7. internet radio server
8. fm radio transmitter
9. dynamic dns updater (automatic)

Have fun!
Premium Member
Premium Member