Toolset instructions - 1st release version

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: Toolset instructions - 1st release version

by Dann » June 15th, 2015, 5:59 pm

bodge99 wrote:Hello All.

Rob: Your product code is held in the firmware (aka BIOS) chip. It is only used for authentication purposes by the specific windows with bing version of 8.1 as supplied on the tablet . The full retail version of 8.1 would need its own product code.

I don't know if there will be an equivalent windows 10 with bing version.. That's for Microsoft to decide..

You can only lose the embedded product code by performing a firmware upgrade.

I suggest that you make a written copy of your product code anyway (always a good idea!). If you ever wish to update your firmware then just ask on this forum or PM me. I can easily update your new firmware with your product code. You can then upgrade the firmware with no problems with windows authentication.

Your product code is tablet specific and is of no use to anyone else, even with the same tablet model. This is by design.

If you are having problems downloading the toolkit and drive archives then PM me. If you wish, send me an 8GB flashdrive, 1 dual layer DVD or 2 single DVD's and I'll return them "ready to go"...

Bodge99

Talking about product keys, we're launching LinxTablet.co.uk Premium next month which will back your product key up to your LinxTablet account ;)
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by Rob » June 15th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Cheers for the reply

Looks like the download seems to be working ok now as at 400mb after about 10 minutes. I think I mucked up one of my earlier Linx 10's when I flashed the firmware which I have not done on this one, but have also copied it over to a text file an saved it.

Once the toolset is down I will start on the images or I might just do a factory reset and take a clean copy using the instructions above.

Thanks Again
Rob
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Deleted User 1605 » June 15th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Rob:

Once you have the toolset you may as well make your own images if your tablet recovery mechanism is functional.
As mentioned above, if you use an 8GB flashdrive, then you can place your own archives in (on the flashdrive) \tablet .
This appears as /cdrom/tablet on the booted toolkit. Just make sure that any files are smaller than 4 GB. (the fat32 maximum file size).
That's the main reason I went with file splitting. If you want to, you can alter the split command to 2 or 3 GB... whatever you want to..
I've written each command in a format which is as "general" as possible but specific where required. i.e. can handle "variations" in naming etc.

You can make a backup of your current firmware (which will include the product code) on a Linx 7 or 10 with the Intel EFI flashing tool.
You'll find it with the current Linx 10 Bios file on this site.

Just don't run any batch files or windows executables ...

It's an EFI executable and is run from a flashdrive from the EFI shell. You can tell it to dump (a copy of) your current firmware to the flashdrive.

This will give you peace of mind in several ways. You have a copy of a firmware which is guaranteed to work. You have a working firmware with the correct product code in place and you have something with which you can view your product code if you so require... All the same thing really, just viewed from different "directions", if you see what I mean.

If you want detailed info, just ask here..

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by Rob » June 16th, 2015, 6:26 am

Cheers for the info (again) any chance on expanding on using the Intel Tool to take backup of the firmware as that way I will be covered by all angles.
Linx User
Linx User

by Deleted User 1605 » June 16th, 2015, 10:38 am

Rob:

I've written this one up.

See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=864#gs.e0e54aae47eb48f8ab8dcd725a6f5722

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

by Rob » June 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I am trying to run through the image creation guide and hit a bit of issue on the following sections and not sure if it would be easier to change your notes to something like this (ignore of I have gone off the beaten track)

mount | grep /sd {Check for the location of your flashdrive or external hard drive}.

mine came back as /dev/sda1 and was already mounted on /cdrom so I basically issued

mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /cdrom

(this remounts the /cdrom as writable)

df -h /cdrom

this this should the full space of the USB memory stick

mkdir -p /cdrom/tablet

cd /cdrom/tablet

gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0 > Linx10FullDrive.img.gz

Running out of time tonight to try much else but will leave the image creation running and report back later

Cheers

Rob
Linx User
Linx User

by Deleted User 1605 » June 16th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Hello,

I see what you are saying... If the archive files have been placed in \tablet on the flashdrive, then they will appear in /cdrom/tablet when the toolkit is booted. There is no need to remount anything as you are only reading these files anyway. You only need to search for the device if the archive files are on a separate device. I'll make sure that this is clarified.

I've found that the tablets respond differently (device enumeration) according to the type (chipset probably) of USB hub used.
One of the ones I've got results in a second flashdrive being assigned as /dev/sdb (as expected). Another assigns the second flashdrive as /dev/sdc .
This without any device allocated as sdb.

I've kept archive creation away from the toolkit flashdrive (from writing to it, anyway) as you don't know how big the final archives will be.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Previous