Remove Advertisement

Toolset instructions - 1st release version

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Toolset instructions - 1st release version

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 2nd, 2015, 12:44 pm

Hello All,

Just a quick "heads up".
I'll be posting instructions for the first release toolkit here, hopefully this evening.
I'll also be contacting Admin to inform them that the toolkit and archives are ready for posting.

How these are going to be presented to the forum is Dann's decision... His call.

A quick note regarding the next toolset version.
I've written a little graphical tool that does all of the work for you. It's not ready for release just yet as I'm currently expanding it to cover archive and partition creation.

The next toolkit version will be much "prettier". It will have some of the performance enhancements that I have had to leave out of this version (time restraints!!). It will also have improved and extended hardware support.
I specifically want stable wifi (disabled in this version). This will allow user file copying over your network etc.

Note. If you have more than one computer (tablet, netbook, laptop or desktop PC etc.) connected to the same broadband router then you do have a network. You may just not be aware of this.

I'll also repeat an offer made previously.
To save potentially "painful" downloads please feel free to PM me.
I'm aware that some forum members may have broadband restrictions (time, speed or download limits).
I can arrange to return a supplied flashdrive with the relevant archive embedded into it, ready to go.
This could also be done with 1 dual layer DVD, 2 single layer DVDs or an 8 gig SD card.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Remove Ad

Re: Toolset instructions - 1st release version

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 2nd, 2015, 9:38 pm

Hello All. (Edited both parts 15/06/15)

I've split this into 2 parts so that I don't "frighten the horses".

Toolset (beta 0.3.1) Usage. Part 1 of 2.

Create the toolkit flashdrive:
Use Rufus to write the iso to the flashdrive. Minimum size (at the moment) required is a 4GB drive.
If you use an 8GB drive, then you can add the archive files to the toolkit flashdrive manually. This makes the use of it slightly easier.

Procedure:
Now use windows to create a directory on the flashdrive. Use "tablet" for consistency with these instructions .
Copy all of the archive files to this directory. This will take a little time.
When the toolkit is booted, your archive files will be in "/cdrom/tablet".

Brief instructions for using the toolkit (first released version) for full drive restoration.
It is much, much easier to actually do the job than it is to read about it. I'm just trying to be thorough.

This will return your tablet to "as near to factory" condition as possible.
I have had to disable some performance enhancements due to time restraints (on my part). These will return in the next version.

I have written a little graphical tool (not yet complete) which does all of this (and more) for you.
Specifically, it locates, verifies and prepares the archive files. It then (with user confirmation) performs the tablet drive write.
I'm currently expanding this to handle archive creation of the full drive and each partition (as required).
I'm also playing with implementing a network file copy option before the tablet write commences.

Hardware Requirements: 4 port (minimum) USB hub, USB keyboard, USB mouse/trackball.

Prepare your tablet and connect up your hardware:
This means charge your tablet and connect it to your USB hub. A 4 port hub is sufficient here (powered hub recommended, but probably not necessary for flashdrive usage).
Connect your USB keyboard and mouse/trackball to the hub. Finally, insert your USB flash drive(s) or relevant device.

Power your hub (if applicable). Leave any external drive to spin up for a few seconds. Now switch on your tablet.

Enter the firmware (BIOS) settings and set the first boot device to your toolset flashdrive/device.
Specific details for each tablet follow:-

Linx 7: For this release, the tablet is configured to run in portrait mode only. Press the power button briefly. At the same time as you release the power button, "tap" the "delete" key repeatedly. This will allow you to enter the firmware (BIOS) settings.

Cursor left/right to "Boot". Cursor down to the "Boot Option Properties". At "Boot Option #1", press enter.
Select your UEFI: {some text here that represents your flashdrive or relevant device}.
Press enter to make this the default entry. Cursor right to "Save & Exit". Select "Save Changes and Exit". Confirm "Yes" at the "Save & Exit" dialog and press enter.
Now go to "Continue:", below.

Linx 8: For this release, the tablet is configured to run in portrait mode only. Press and hold the power button. Pay attention to the LED at the top right of the screen (close to the USB socket). As the tablet starts to initalise, you will see the LED flash briefly. Now quickly press and "tap" the keyboard "Esc" key.
This allow you to enter the firmware (BIOS) settings. Now click onto the top middle icon, "Boot Manager". Now cursor down to the relevant "EFI USB Device (some text here)" and press enter. Now go to "Continue:", below.

Linx 10: For this release, the tablet is configured to run in landscape mode only. Connect up the power supply. You may as well as there is a separate power socket specifically for this. Now press and hold the power button until the red LED adjacent to the front camera at the top of the screen illuminates (tablet in landscape orientation).
Now quickly press and "tap" the keyboard "delete" key. This will allow you to enter the firmware (BIOS) settings.

Cursor left/right to "Boot". Cursor down to the "Boot Option Properties". At "Boot Option #1", press enter. Select your "UEFI: {some text here that represents your flashdrive or relevant device}".
Press enter to make this the default entry. Cursor right to "Save & Exit". Select "Save Changes and Exit". Confirm "Yes" at the "Save & Exit" dialog and press enter.

Continue:
Now allow the tablet to boot. This will take a couple of minutes. A compressed filesystem has to be accessed as part of the boot process. This takes a little time.

You will initially be presented with the bootloader screen (Grub2). Just select the first, default entry, "Linux for Linx Tablets" and press enter.
The screen will switch off for a short while as the filesystem uncompresses.
This is followed by a scrolling text screen. Just ignore this (this is the operating system reporting "in painful detail" the progress of the tablet hardware initialisation etc.). I use this for debugging purposes.

FOR THE LINX 7 ONLY and ONLY WITH THIS TOOLKIT RELEASE: A temporary modification to disable a part of the tablet hardware (The RPMB) does not work properly with the Linx 7. This is due to the slightly different way that some of this tablet hardware has been implemented.
This increases booting time by about 40%. You will see boot messages regarding the inability to read mmcblk0rpmb sections.
This does not affect anything in any way beyond a slightly longer boot time. This is now fixed and will be in the next toolkit release.
I do not want to delay this release any further as I know some forum members want access to the toolkit and images sooner rather than later.

A short while later you will arrive at the initial GUI screen. This is an unconfigured standard Xfce4 desktop. It looks a little "sparse" but is sufficient for our needs here. Later toolkit versions will look much better.

At the initial dialog window, just select "Use default config" and not the "One empty panel" option.

The desktop will initialise. We are now ready to proceed.

Note: If you have any files on the tablet that you wish to save, now is the time to copy them. Full details of how to do this will be in a section of the full guide. If you have a problem "now", please feel free to PM me for specific advice and instructions. I'll also post instructions on the forum if anyone wishes me to.

The next stage involves connecting the archive location to the system. This will be to a known place within the system for ease of use.
If I have provided a flashdrive to you directly, then this part may be done automatically. You just have to know the specific directory.
This will either be in the tablet directory (/cdrom/tablet) or on a second partition of the flashdrive.
I will have provided details for your specific drive. Versions directly supplied by me, (from May 2015) i.e. flashdrives/DVD's will have the archives in "/cdrom/tablet".

Part 2 follows.
Last edited by Deleted User 1605 on June 15th, 2015, 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 2nd, 2015, 9:42 pm

Part 2 of 2.

Now to identify your archive file device and partition i.e. your specific location:
There are variations in the design and specification of different USB hubs. Specifically how it is initialised and "seen by" the system. This may vary. Later toolkit versions will remove any effects of this slight inconsistency.

Your boot device may be identified as either "sda" (normally), or "sdb".
It doesn't matter to the running system, but we wish to know the location of the archive files.

If I have supplied a flashdrive or DVD directly then your location may be "/" or "/cdrom/tablet" . I will have informed you of this. In this instance, skip the next step and jump to "Continue here (1):", below. Also skip here if you have manually added the archive files to the flashdrive.

CLARIFICATION: If your archive files have been manually copied to \tablet on your toolkit flashdrive then your booted toolkit will have them in /cdrom/tablet .
There is no need to search for them. Your archive directory is /cdrom/tablet . Now skip to Continue Here (1): , below.

Double click on the flashdrive (or external device) icon on the desktop. The text under the icon may give some indication of the device capacity. e.g. an "un-named" 8 Gig flashdrive will show as "7.7 GB Volume" or show any previously set device name (if the flashdrive has been used before). The file manager will open.

You should see the archive files listed, with their associated checksum files. This shows that you are looking in the correct location.

Continue Here (1):
Now open a terminal. At the bottom of the screen you will see a short "taskbar" (a panel, in Xfce "speak"). Click on the second icon from the left. This looks vaguely like a unpowered monitor screen. Now close the file manager (if open).
A terminal window will open. The work will be done from here.

Become the Super User (aka Root):
We need elevated user privileges to allow low level access to the tablet hardware.
Enter the following into the terminal. Comments {comment} are shown in braces and are not to be entered.

Type the following into the terminal.

sudo su {Press enter. Become the Super User}.

Skip the next step if your archive directory is "/" or "/cdrom/tablet". Jump to "Continue here (2):"
mount | grep /sd {Press enter. Check for the location of your flashdrive or external hard drive}.

In the response, look for something like this:

/dev/sdb1 on media/mint/xxxx-xxxx type xxxx (plus other text).

This indicates that your location is "sdb1". Make a note of your specific location.
You shall shortly verify that this location is exactly the one required and then make a simple change.

Continue here (2):
If the archive files are on a second partition of the toolkit flashdrive then your location is normally "sda2".
If the files are on a second flashdrive then the location is normally "sdb1".
If they are located on the second partition of an external hard drive (1 toolkit flashdrive, 1 external hard drive) then the location would normally be "sdb2". And so on..

Next: Connect the archive location to a specific place in the filesystem (mount the device/partition in Linux speak) and move to this directory.
Alter the following command with your specific location. The location is shown as [location]. Examples follow.
If I have supplied a flashdrive or DVD directly or you have manually added the files then your archive directory is "/", or "/cdrom/tablet". In this instance, skip the next step.

mount /dev/[location] /mnt {Press enter. This "connects" your device to a known position within the filesystem}.
Example: mount /dev/sda2 /mnt {This is for a second partition on the toolset flashdrive}.
Example: mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt {This is for the first partition of a second flashdrive or external hard drive}.
N.B. There is a space before the "/mnt" here.

Use the file manager to access the file system. This can be found on the desktop. Double click "File System" to run the file manager.
Scroll the right hand pane to the bottom.

Double click on the file "Instructions.txt" to open the file in the text editor. Leave this open at the top half of the screen.
You can "copy and paste" any relevant lines from here to the terminal if you so wish. (Highlight [to the end of the text only], right click and copy.
In the terminal, right click and paste). Close the file manager and return to the terminal.

Now move to your archive location: Use the relevant command here.

cd /mnt {Press enter. Use this if you have manually mounted a partition.}.
cd / {Press enter. Only use this if the archive files are here.}.
EDIT: 15/06/15. Forgot to add the following. This is when your archive files have been manually added to an 8GB toolkit flashdrive.
cd /cdrom/tablet {Press enter.}

If you need to retrieve any files from the tablet, do this now. The process will destroy anything on the tablet.

Now to verify that we are in the correct place. Type the following:

ls *.sha256 {This lists any files in the current directory that have a filename ending in "sha256"}.
If you are in fact looking in the correct place you will see 5 files listed. These are the archive checksum files.
If these are listed, then you are OK to proceed. I will cover the use of these checksum files in another post, as well as the guide.

EDIT: See my post, 2 below this one for checksum verification.. I'll tidy all of this up for the proper guide.

We are now ready to perform the write to the tablet drive:
Now enter one of the following:-

cat Linx7FullDrive.img.split.gz_a? | gunzip -c > /dev/mmcblk0 {Press enter. This is for the Linx 7}.
cat Linx8FullDrive.img.split.gz_a? | gunzip -c > /dev/mmcblk0 {Press enter. This is for the Linx 8}.
cat Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_a? | gunzip -c > /dev/mmcblk0 {Press enter. This is for the Linx 10}.

Note, The "|" symbol is obtained with "shift and backslash", the key between the 'left shift' and the 'z' key on a UK keyboard.

The mechanism here is this. The command says this: Take each archive part, in alphabetical order (the filename final extensions are ".aa", ".ab", ".ac" etc.) Then send the contents of each file to the archive tool. Finally redirect the uncompressed output from this tool and write it directly to the tablet drive.

Now wait... The process takes approximately 15-30 minutes or so. The command prompt will disappear for this time. The time taken depends on your specific hardware. i.e. the speed rating of your flashdrives and how good your USB hub is. The write times for each of the three tablets takes 11 minutes with my hardware.

When the write has completed the prompt will return. The screen will switch off after a few minutes of inactivity (part of the power saving mechanism). Just move your mouse/trackball to switch it on again.

Now shut down Linux when the write has completed. Either type "poweroff" into the terminal and press enter or via the GUI menu option "shutdown".
Disconnect all of the external hardware.

All done... Well done..

Disconnect the external hardware. Now power up your tablet as you would normally. If all is well, you will see the initial "enter details" screen.

I'll cover individual partition handling, creation of your own images and Windows file retrieval in a later post (as well as in the guide).

Bodge99.
Last edited by Deleted User 1605 on June 16th, 2015, 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 4th, 2015, 6:21 am

Drive and Partition Images:

Which do I need?

Hello All.

I have provided the toolset and image archives to enable forum members to recover their tablets to an original (or previous) condition.
This includes such scenarios as :-

Returning the tablet to an original condition before resale (after any significant changes have been made) etc.

A windows crash (e.g. an errant program has caused some sort of file corruption or partition damage.)

Virus or malware problems.

What I call "windows bitrot". The typical windows "slowdown" over time. The "little errors" that can accumulate over time.
This can leave a machine crash prone and in an otherwise unstable state.

Windows update problems. This is not unheard of. Certain specific problems here can leave a machine in an unusable state.

The desire to "start afresh" with a "totally clean" installation.

The wish to return to an original state after playing with another operating system (e.g. windows 10, or Linux etc.)

The OEM recovery mechanism is perfectly fine as far as it goes. I've seen some tablets (not just in the Linx range) where some elements of the recovery system are incomplete (e.g.missing text in information screens etc). Users should not have to guess which on-screen button does what etc. This does not disable the recovery functionality, but makes things slightly more difficult than they should be.

More advanced users may want to modify the partition structure of the tablet. This could be done to allow more space for user programs and files.
The toolset will allow you to create your own images of your current setup. These can be made at any time. You can then revert to any specific tablet installation of any description whenever you wish. All you need is the tools and a little know-how.

I have provided the partition images for reasons of completeness. These are only usable to you under specific circumstances.
I'll explain briefly what each partition is and then the scenario when you can use the original partition images successfully.

The tablet's drive consists of 4 partitions. The first two are hidden from the user and are not accessible under normal usage.

The first is a small partition of about 100MB. This is the EFI boot partition. It is formatted as Fat32 and has the partition boot flag set.
The tablet cannot start if this is missing or damaged.
The EFI partition is a known virus target. The ability to overwrite this with a "clean" version is useful to have here. N.B. Manually overwriting the partition contents with the EFI boot files is sufficient here, assuming that the partition structure is intact..

The second partition is about 104MB in size. This is a reserved secure partition that is involved with the UEFI/Windows secure booting mechanism.
It does not contain a specific filesystem. System access is at block level.
I have not examined this in detail beyond its overall structure, size and location. I don't run windows so I personally don't need this one. You do.

The third partition is your windows installation. It is formatted with the NTFS filesystem. All of your user files are stored here. I'll discuss retrieving files from here before tablet drive restoration in another post. The toolset will allow you to do this easily. More on this later.

The final, fourth partition is your windows recovery partition. This is again formatted with the NTFS filesystem. You obviously need this one for the normal restore function.
This partition uses space that some may prefer to use for other purposes. It's possible to reduce it's size (e.g. by removing the office portion etc). This is beyond the scope of this post. Others have done this and can provide information if required.

If you have made any partition changes (or have allowed the windows 10 installer to make partition size changes) whatsoever to your tablet then you cannot use the partition images directly.
Individual partition start and end locations have to be exactly correct on the tablet drive for the restored partition write to complete correctly.
For example, writing 20GB worth of data to a 15GB location **will** fail. Windows may then not be able to access the partition properly. File corruption is almost guaranteed here.

It is relatively easy to recreate the original partition structure manually (This will be an automated option in a future toolset release).
Most people will find it much easier to just use the full drive image archives.. All of this is then done for you as part of the process.

Bodge99.
Last edited by Deleted User 1605 on June 6th, 2015, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 4th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Checksum Verification:

This is an optional check.. I recommend that you do actually perform these checks. This proves that your downloaded files are not corrupted in any way.
I will cover checksum verification from the toolkit i.e. Linux. Windows checksum tools should handle these files O.K.

The tool used to create the checksum files is also used to verify the archive (or partition) parts.

Each file part, whatever it actually is, has an associated checksum file. I'll give an example for the Linx 10 full drive archives.

You should have the following files on the same device (flashdrive, external hard drive partition, filesystem directory etc.)
The other tablet models are named in a similar fashion. All will become clear shortly.

Linx 10 full drive archives:-

Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_aa
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_aa.sha256
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ab
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ab.sha256
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ac
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ac.sha256
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ad
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ad.sha256
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ae
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ae.sha256

The check is performed from the command line. My GUI tool (when it's ready), will perform this check automatically.

This assumes that you are in the same directory as the files. i.e. in /mnt . I'll cover this particular point in greater detail (wrt external drives etc.) in another post.

Check that you are in the correct directory and can actually "see" the files. Enter the follow in the same manner as the above post.
ls {Press enter. You should see the above file list.}

Now check the files.

Enter the following

sha256sum -c *.sha256 {Press enter. Now wait..}

The command should return this:

Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_aa: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ab: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ac: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ad: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ae: OK

This shows that your 5 archive parts are perfectly O.K. You can now proceed with the tablet write.
Any failures will be obvious. Example follows for an error with the third file.

Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_aa: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ab: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ac: FAILED
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ad: OK
Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_ae: OK

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 6th, 2015, 4:08 am

CLARIFICATION:

Hello All,

I would just like to make the following points about the beta version of the toolkit.

I've described it as a beta release for the following reasons:

I'm working on improving specific hardware support. Currently, there is very little functionality within the toolkit that is not part of standard Gnu/Linux.
All of the Gnu command line tools used here are the stable release versions. It is perfectly reasonable to view them as "Rock Solid". I do.

The beta and version designations are really for my use. I'm adding to, improving and generally making things easier to use. I need to "keep track" of specific version features in the event of any queries from users etc.

The whole philosophy of Linux is choice. When my GUI tool is completed, you'll have the option to perform a wide range of operations to your tablet.
Those who want a "click & shoot" solution will have it. Those who want to use a "fine-grained" manual method will have this also.

I'll rename a future toolkit version as a "Full Release" one when full tablet hardware support is complete. This also won't happen until the GUI tool is finished to my satisfaction and is fully tested and debugged.

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 13th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Create you own drive and partition images:

Usage scenarios:

For "piece of mind". A "safety net", just in case anything happens to your installation.

Before you make significant changes to your tablet installation. e.g. install windows 10.

A "bare metal" copy of your installation, whatever is installed, whenever required.

Hardware requirements:
As before, USB hub (powered hub recommended), USB keyboard & mouse/trackball.
A 4GB flashdrive. This is for the toolkit.
USB storage device. You obviously don't yet know exactly the final size of the archives so an external hard drive
might be preferable. By all means use a large flashdrive if you wish.

Software:
You only need the toolkit and Rufus to write this to your device.

The current toolkit release does not yet support network copying, this will appear in a later version.

Preparation:
Download the toolkit from the forum. It is located in the "Drive Images & Operating Systems" section in "Downloads".
If you have downloaded the split version of the toolset, extract the full .iso .
Now use Rufus to write the iso to a flashdrive. A 4GB flashdrive is sufficient here.

External drive. Just about file system type is useable.
If you are going to access the drive from another windows machine, then use NTFS. To aid in the later identification of this drive,
create a small text file or similar. Copy this to your external drive. Use an easily remembered filename. e.g. "thisone.txt" .
If using an existing drive, with data already in place, then make a separate directory for the archives.

Connect up your hardware, alter your firmware boot settings as discussed in the earlier post. Boot the tablet.

When the desktop has initialised, open a terminal.

Locate your archive location:

You will see a desktop icon representing the external device. This may already be "visible" to the system ("mounted" in Linux speak).
To ensure this, just double click the icon. The file manager will open. You will see your "thisone.txt" here.
Close the file manager. You are now going to change the location of your archive device for "ease of use" reasons.

Identify your archive device designation:

Enter the following into the terminal. Comments {comment} are shown within braces and are not to be entered. Press enter after each line. You can cursor up from the command prompt to retreive previous commands, similar previous commands can be edited as required.

mount | grep /sd {Check for the location of your flashdrive or external hard drive}.

In the response, look for something like this:
/dev/sdb1 on media/mint/xxxx-xxxx type xxxx (plus other text).

Note your specific designation, e.g. "sdb1" etc.

Become the "Super User" (aka "Root"):
sudo su

Move the archive location to a more convienent position:
Use something like this: mount /dev/[location] /mnt
Example: mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Verify this location:
ls /mnt
You should see your "thisone.txt" file listed.

Now move to this location:
cd /mnt

If you have a separate directory prepared for your archives, move to this now. Example given for "tablet-archives".
cd tablet-archives

You are now ready to create your partition or full drive archives.
I would recommend that you use consistant file names here. I'll give some examples:-
These are for the initial part of the file name. File extensions are automatically created by the relevant command.
Alter the tablet model number within the file name to suit yours.

Linx 7 full drive archive:
Linx7FullDriveArchive

Linx 8 partitions, all 4 given:
Linx8Part1 , Linx8Part2 , Linx8Part3 and Linx8Part4

This makes it obvious what any specific file is. Believe me, you will appreciate this in 6 months time if you have more than one model of tablet and multiple archive sets. You can also add an indication of the operating system being archived if you wish.
e.g. For a windows 10 installation, full drive archive from a Linx 7, use something like this: Linx7-Win10-FullDrive or similar.

I'll provide the means to create compressed, compressed & split and "raw" images. The latter can then be further manipulated
directly by any software that can handle binary drive and partition images.. For those who wish to perform any type of forensic analysis etc. It is also possible to mount these images as loopback devices for individual file recovery etc.
I'll cover manual file recovery directly from the windows partition in another post. This has to be performed with a "read only" access procedure as the windows partition is often flagged as "in sleep mode, go away" by windows.

Full Drive: Adjust your tablet model number as required.

Compressed & split into 1 GB parts.
gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0 | split -b 1024MiB - Linx10FullDrive.img.split.gz_

Compressed, single file only:
gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0 > Linx10FullDrive.img.gz

Raw binary image file:
cat /dev/mmcblk0 > Linx10FullDrive.img

Partitions:
The first partition is the EFI boot partition. It is about 100MB in size. I'll call this P1.
The second is a reserved, secure partition. Again, about 100MB in size. This is P2.
The third is your windows partition. All of your stuff is here. This is P3.
The fourth is your recovery partition. This is P4. It may not exist if you have wiped your original recovery partition.
This is often done to allow the space to be better used with other operating systems. (windows 10, a full version of windows 8.1, Linux etc.)

Compressed and Split Partition Archives: If actually wanted, then most will probably use these. Required for Fat32 devices (file size limitations.)

P1: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p1 > Linx10Part1.img.gz {No split required. 1 file returned.}
P2: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p2 > Linx10Part1.img.gz {No split required. 1 file returned.}
P3: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p3 | split -b 1024MiB - Linx10Part3.img.split.gz_
P4: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p3 | split -b 1024MiB - Linx10Part3.img.split.gz_
For P3 and P4 above: This assumes that the compressed archive needs splitting. It will return 1 file if it doesn't

Compressed Partition archives:
P1: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p1 > Linx10Part1.img.gz {The same as the above P1.}
P2: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p2 > Linx10Part2.img.gz {The same as the above P2.}
P3: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p3 > Linx10Part3.img.gz
P4: gzip -c < /dev/mmcblk0p4 > Linx10Part4.img.gz

Raw Partition images:
P1: cat /dev/mmcblk0p1 > Linx10Part1.img
P2: cat /dev/mmcblk0p2 > Linx10Part2.img
P3: cat /dev/mmcblk0p3 > Linx10Part3.img
P4: cat /dev/mmcblk0p4 > Linx10Part4.img

Checksum Creation: Optional, but recommended. Your call.

You don't need your "thisone.txt" (or whatever it's called), so delete it.
rm thisone.txt

Create checksum files for everything here: This takes a little time, especially if you have uncompressed images.
All of the checksums and associated file names will be stored in one file, here named "Linx10.sha256.txt".

Create checksums:
sha256sum * > Linx10.sha256.txt {Create checksums for all files here and store results in one file.}

Verify checksums:
sha256sum -c Linx10.sha256.txt {The results should be obvious.}

The "*" wildcard means "everything, or everything after something given in the file name until modified by something else". If you only want to process files beginning with "Linx8", then modify the above two commands to something like these:-
sha256sum Linx8* > Linx8files.sha256.txt
sha256sum -c Linx8files.sha256.txt

Be aware that you can only use these partition images with an existing matching partition structure already in place on the tablet drive.
Suggested example:
If you install windows 10 in P3 and have a recovery partition as P4. You could make a full drive archive. This would then be your "baseline". You could then make an archive of P3 every few months or so. In the case of problems arising at any time, you could simply revert to any earlier version of P3.

This said, You may find it easier overall to just make full drive archives when any major changes have been made. This is how I work with different operating systems on these tablets. There are then no concerns with boot files etc.

Bodge99

I want to proofread this post again when I'm more awake (no sleep for 36 hrs!!). I'll delete this line then.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 15th, 2015, 10:21 am

Hello All,

I've edited parts 1 and 2 above to include the following:
This makes the overall process slightly easier to perform.

Toolset and archive images on one 8GB flash drive.

It might be more convenient to place the full drive archive files directly onto your toolkit flashdrive.

This assumes that you have an 8GB drive (or larger).

Procedure.

Create the bootable toolkit flashdrive as normal.
Now use windows to create a directory on the flashdrive. Use "tablet" to be consistent with the instructions.
Copy all of the archive files to this directory. This will take a little time.

When the toolkit is booted, your archive files will be in "/cdrom/tablet". When indicated, change to this directory and perform the extraction from there.

Bodge99.
Last edited by Deleted User 1605 on June 15th, 2015, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1605

Postby Rob » June 15th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Many thanks for the information , notes and downloads I will see if I can have a play later on this week and report back. I have started several times to get the downloads but both my networks at home seem to start fine then give up has anyone managed to successfully download the iso's ?

Also do you know if the windows key is safe if I try to recover this way or should I take a copy for safe keeping as going to have another look at windows 10

Cheers
Rob
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby Deleted User 1605 » June 15th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Hello All.

Rob: Your product code is held in the firmware (aka BIOS) chip. It is only used for authentication purposes by the specific windows with bing version of 8.1 as supplied on the tablet . The full retail version of 8.1 would need its own product code.

I don't know if there will be an equivalent windows 10 with bing version.. That's for Microsoft to decide..

You can only lose the embedded product code by performing a firmware upgrade.

I suggest that you make a written copy of your product code anyway (always a good idea!). If you ever wish to update your firmware then just ask on this forum or PM me. I can easily update your new firmware with your product code. You can then upgrade the firmware with no problems with windows authentication.

Your product code is tablet specific and is of no use to anyone else, even with the same tablet model. This is by design.

If you are having problems downloading the toolkit and drive archives then PM me. If you wish, send me an 8GB flashdrive, 1 dual layer DVD or 2 single DVD's and I'll return them "ready to go"...

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

Next

Return to Guides (All Devices)