Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Tablet Drive Images. : Guides (All Devices)

Tablet Drive Images.

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Tablet Drive Images.

by Deleted User 1605 » May 3rd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Edit: 02/06/15. Full archives and toolset are going to be released shortly. More up-to-date information and instructions are available in my latest posts in this forum section.

Hello All,

FYI, I've got partition and full drive images available now for the Linx 10. I'll also have the same for the Linx 8 shortly.
I've also nearly finished a recovery and backup toolset that I intend to make available in a couple of formats:

The first is a USB bootable (modded) Linux distribution that has support for the SOC (processor package) fitted to these tablets.
If you so wish, your own partition and/or full drive archives can then be created and written to another external device (external hard drive or large USB flash drive etc.).

The second will be installable to an external hard drive.. I'm still experimenting with the exact installation method. This one is more "work in progress".

The drive/partition images were taken after a full tablet restore. i.e. at the stage where you input your user details etc. Drivers are still needed, but this is the closest that I can get to a tablet "as issued" condition.

This is aimed at those who wish to return their tablet installation to an original condition. I'm specifically thinking of those who may have experimented with other OS's such as Windows 10 and who have lost their recovery capability.

SWMBO is due for surgery very soon (1 cancelled op so far..) so things might be delayed slightly..

Any interest??

Bodge99
Last edited by Deleted User 1605 on June 2nd, 2015, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1605

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Tablet Drive Images.

by Rob » May 3rd, 2015, 7:26 pm

will be interested in the restore one as thinking of giving windows 10 another go. how will you handle the ?
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Deleted User 2123 » May 3rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

that would be really handy I used another recovery guide on here and it worked perfectly.
I tried windows 10 but for the life of me couldn't get the drivers to install a few guides on things like that would be cool as well coz im probably not the only 1 that tried it and needs your guide to go back
Deleted User 2123

by Deleted User 1605 » May 3rd, 2015, 8:52 pm

Hello.

For original drive restore:
This is a "bare metal" method... It ignores anything on the drive and just overwrites any and everything. This automatically reinstates all partitions (4 in all) and everything within them. Basically a compressed drive image is extracted and the output is written directly to the drive. All with one linux command.

For original partition restore:
This assumes that the original GPT partition structure is intact. Specifically the start and end of a particular partition is unchanged from new. If you bork your windows partition or install something else there and change your mind, you can just overwrite it with an original or earlier image.
Again, one linux command per partition restore.

Non original partition structure:
For those who have modded any or all partitions (i.e. dumped the office crud) and enlarged the windows partition... You can take "bare metal" images and use these as your base.. Any new alterations can be reverted easily.

I appreciate that most people will use a file system backup/restore method. That's fine if it suits you. I do use such a file/directory backup technique for incremental backups on a couple of development machines.

I often change operating systems around on test machines. The time required for reformatting/changing file system types and reinstalling software etc. can be "non trivial". This reduces "play time", a big no-no.

I therefore use this technique to allow fast OS changes. In fact, I've got 6 OS's imaged for the Linx 10, let alone those for other systems.

My philosophy with windows is this: It **CAN** go wrong, and go wrong in a way that requires non-trivial intervention. O.K. the full restore method as implemented on the tablet is fine as far as it goes.. I personally would rather use the drive space for other things...

If something happens to the recovery partition then you are stuffed.. (Yes, I've brought a friends Linx 10 back to life after a windows update crash damaged both the windows and recovery partitions.. using an earlier version of these images.)

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by WilhelmStroker » May 5th, 2015, 4:05 pm

The same images for a Linx7 would be great too.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by Deleted User 1605 » May 5th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Hello,

I don't have access to a linx 7..

I'm more than willing to provide them if I can manage to borrow one..

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

by Deleted User 1605 » May 7th, 2015, 11:59 am

Hello,

I've just scored a Linx 7.. Should be here in about a week.

I'll be making images available for this one as well as the others.

Getting there slowly.

Bodge99
Deleted User 1605

by kurosaru » May 7th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Awesome news bodge99.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon

by Deleted User 1605 » May 14th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Hello all.

Just to say that drive and/or partition images are now available for the Linx 8.

I'm still working on the toolkit as I've found subtle differences between the Linx 8 and Linx 10. Yes it's the same basic hardware "under the hood" but it has been implemented slightly differently. No real problem to sort it, but it will take a little time.

The "toolkit" that I'm using for now is a modded Linux Mint installation running on an external USB drive. I've had a few problems in getting the bootloader to correctly and consistently boot a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit EFI loader. Yes, one of those "easy when you know how" moments.

SWMBO is in hospital, awaiting surgery, so I'm a little busy at the minute.

The Linx 7 has not turned up yet...

More later..

Bodge99.
Deleted User 1605

by Dann » May 15th, 2015, 2:06 pm

if you need any hosting bodge, let me know, i'll happily host the images for you!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK

Next