Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - [Guide] Entering the BIOS / UEFI : Guides (All Devices)

[Guide] Entering the BIOS / UEFI

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

[Guide] Entering the BIOS / UEFI

by mwarner » December 24th, 2014, 9:04 am

In order to enter the UEFI (formerly known as BIOS) on the Linx 7 the following procedure should be performed:

Pre-requisites
- A desktop keyboard should be plugged into the device via USB OTG
- The device should be powered up and logged into Windows
- To follow the procedure below we should be looking at the Start screen

Once restarted to the UEFI page, navigate using the plugged in keyboard.
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: eBay
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

Re: Entering the BIOS / UEFI

by Jim » January 2nd, 2015, 12:12 pm

Great first post thanks for the info. Based on feedback it is fair to say be very careful if changing any settings not to brick your tablet.
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: eBay

Re: Entering the BIOS / UEFI

by K1lo » January 3rd, 2015, 3:10 pm

Yes there .. there have been stories from the crypt of the BIOS tinkerer.

Kind of hard to pop open the side of the PC case and just remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to fix it like we used to do in the good ol' days :D
K1lo

Re: [Guide] Entering the BIOS / UEFI

by Cazomino05 » January 4th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Another way to get into the BIOS is to plug in a physical keyboard and hold delete while booting.

I can confirm this does work with our tablets in case you cannot get into windows :)
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10

by K1lo » January 4th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Kind of related blog post written by Microsoft Engineers before they shipped Windows 8 :

Windows 8 has a problem – it really can boot up too quickly.

So quickly, in fact, that there is no longer time for anything to interrupt boot. When you turn on a Windows 8 PC, there’s no longer long enough to detect keystrokes like F2 or F8, much less time to read a message such as “Press F2 for Setup.” For the first time in decades, you will no longer be able to interrupt boot and tell your PC to do anything different than what it was already expecting to do.

You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register
K1lo

by Cazomino05 » January 4th, 2015, 5:40 pm

K1lo wrote:Kind of related blog post written by Microsoft Engineers before they shipped Windows 8 :

Windows 8 has a problem – it really can boot up too quickly.

So quickly, in fact, that there is no longer time for anything to interrupt boot. When you turn on a Windows 8 PC, there’s no longer long enough to detect keystrokes like F2 or F8, much less time to read a message such as “Press F2 for Setup.” For the first time in decades, you will no longer be able to interrupt boot and tell your PC to do anything different than what it was already expecting to do.

I think this mainly applies to SSDs more than anything, eMMC is about 1/3 as quick but still way faster than traditional HDDs
Original Member
Original Member

by Aergan » January 13th, 2015, 9:38 pm

I can confirm that enabling the Enhanced C7 state option will stop it booting, permanently.

My first Linx 10 had a USB port powering issue and wouldn't detect any device 'out of the box' until I connected powered USB hub (my replacement Linx 10 does not have this issue but shipped with a faulty dead mains charger - yay.).
Someone else mentioned that they changed a load of options including the Enhanced C7 state to brick theirs so before I returned it for the replacement, I tried this option on mine - it does indeed brick it.

When "bricked", the web cam LED will turn on (red) and you will receive no response from the unit, no keyboard LED, no POST, no HDMI signal output. Disconnecting the battery for 4hrs+ does not trigger a firmware reset nor does powering it on via mains charger with the battery disconnected.

This device *should* support AMI Aptio V recovery methods the same as its brethren (Pipo W1, iCube Work 10 U100GT, Schenker Element). Using CTRL+HOME pressed during power on with the firmware loaded onto a FAT32 USB stick (less than 4GB), it should boot into recovery mode and load the replacement firmware. I tried this method and it does appear to read the contents of the USB stick (activity lights flash for 4-5 seconds) but it proceeds no further.
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: Amazon UK

by Big Elf » January 14th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Another way to get into the BIOS is to hold down the Power button and Volume+ at the same time. This will load up a screen with various options.

If you haven't made a USB Recovery stick and can't get into Windows then press and hold the power button for a few seconds then when the Linx logo is on screen and the device is powering up press the power button before the white dots appear on screen in a circular pattern. The device will turn off. Repeat this again and the device will again turn off. The next time you do it it will take you to the recovery screen which includes the option to reset it back to default settings (all user data will be lost).

Make sure it's charged/charging before you do this.

A keyboard isn't required for any one of the above but changing some BIOS settings can be fiddly without one although not impossible.

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

by Rob » January 26th, 2015, 10:07 am

I have the linx documents which where emailed to me from the support team these specify how to get into the BIOS / UEFI menu on a linx 10

Try this link

Last edited by Rob on January 26th, 2015, 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

by Dann » January 26th, 2015, 10:39 am

Rob wrote:I have the linx documents which where emailed to me from the support team these specify how to get into the BIOS / UEFI menu on a linx 10

Hiya rob,

Them links don't work!

If you drop me a pm, I'll give you my email address.. If you email me them I'll host them on our site!
Dann
Admin
Founder/Admin
Founder/Admin

Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Staples UK
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Next