Remove Advertisement

[Guide] How To Use MicroSD Card As A Hard Drive?

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: [Guide] How To Use MicroSD Card As A Hard Drive?

Postby loulou » August 19th, 2015, 3:32 pm

I did a Windows 10 upgrade install with my Linx 10 - the SD card was set up as it was in 8.1 - as the folders and settings were the same, there were no tweaks required.

In my post before yours, eby4073, that's how I set up my MicroSD (128GB Samsung Evo MicroSD in my case).

loulou wrote:I went with this in the end You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register

Had to change the default download paths for IE, Mozilla, MS Office and (ahem) utorrent but it works fine and it's a much simpler fix.

Edit: It appears it doesn't put files you delete in the Recycle Bin, though. One for those nervous about more complicated tweaks.

I'm using a Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD.
loulou
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Remove Ad

Postby eby4073 » August 20th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Is that the same as the one on this thread?
That's what I had installed, but it seemed to have got corrupted in the Windows 10 update.
I had everything backed up so just reformatted SD and followed the method on this thread again.
It seems to work but it doesn't look like it is possible to install apps onto it now, which is one of the main reasons for doing this.
Can you install apps to SD?
eby4073
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retailer: staples

Postby loulou » August 20th, 2015, 2:06 pm

eby4073 wrote:Thanks for the advice!

Is that the same as the one on this thread?
That's what I had installed, but it seemed to have got corrupted in the Windows 10 update.
I had everything backed up so just reformatted SD and followed the method on this thread again.
It seems to work but it doesn't look like it is possible to install apps onto it now, which is one of the main reasons for doing this.
Can you install apps to SD?
You mean Metro apps? I must admit I don't use the Windows app store much, I think it's pretty pants :? But I've got all sorts of music, Windows programs, pictures etc on my MicroSD and they seem to work fine.
loulou
Linx User
Linx User

Retailer: Staples

Postby eby4073 » August 21st, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yes, metro apps are pretty pants as you say. I installed bluestacks android emulator which gives you access to the android play store.
With windows 10 there isn't so much difference between metro apps and regular windows programs anyway I guess.
Office 365 and Bluestacks are both quite large at 1.5Gb each so was hoping to shift them to the SD card.
I haven't managed to get Windows 10 to allow me to install them to anywhere other than C drive though.
Thanks again for the excellent guide!
eby4073
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby eby4073 » August 25th, 2015, 9:40 pm

I read on one of the other posts on this site that Windows 10 blocks installation of apps to SD card.
I was hoping that this would bypass that problem... it hasn't worked for me but would be interested to hear of others experiences
eby4073
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Guides (All Devices)