Remove Advertisement

[Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

Postby On_a_WIM » March 9th, 2015, 4:08 am

I own a different model tablet, but I believe I ran in to the same issue (having no install.swm and not being able to use DISM on the SWM files). I wrote about it You need to be registered to view this link, please log-in or register, but here is the short version:

In instances where DISM says the data is invalid, it may be that your install.swm1, install.swm2, and install.swm3 files are just an install.wim file that has been (binary) split and thus not technically a SWM file. In this case, you can merge the files back together using a copy command:

Code: Select all
copy /b install.swm1+install.swm2+install.swm3 C:\install.wim

Just make sure that the output ("C:\install.wim" in the above example) resides on a file system that can hold large files. The resulting WIM file should now work with DISM properly. This is, of course, not the normal way of merging "SWM" files and is only for use in instances where DISM can't merge (or even read) the data.

Rob

Flibblebot wrote:
nememo wrote:[...]
3. From your non-working USB drive, you need to go into the sources folder. There will be 5 files from there that you need:
*install.swm
*install.swm2
*install.swm3
*$PBR_ResetConfig.xml
*$PBR_Diskpart.txt
Copy these 5 files into the Sources folder on your new drive. Depending on the speed of you USB drive, this may take a while.
[...]

I've just double checked and the recovery files created by my Linx10 are install.swm1, install.swm2 and install.swm3 - no install.swm file at all. Does this matter?
nememo wrote:
Dism /apply-image /swmfile:D:\Sources\install.swm /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

This bit doesn't work - it wants this as well:
/imagefile:D:\Sources\install.swm

but this file doesn't exist (I tried renaming install.swm1 to install.swm but that doesn't work either) - it says the data is invalid. This suggests to me that there is a deeper problem and that the SWM files created for the recovery drive are actually corrupt?
On_a_WIM

Linx Tablet: None
Retailer: N/A

Remove Ad

Re: [Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

Postby marciu » March 11th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Thank you so much!!!! why I never thought about it before... this just worked like magic :)
marciu
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Online
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

Postby Deleted User 926 » March 12th, 2015, 6:42 pm

i tryed using this to run android 4.4.4 but
1. too lagy
2. touch screen dont work
Deleted User 926

Postby ackalin » April 1st, 2015, 7:21 pm

Quite amazing super thanks for help nememo. Destroyed hard disk win10 experiment and not return usb worked. Came here three days of gray hair.

The device Linx7
Sorry Text google translator Finnish -English
ackalin

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: tokman
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

Postby kaysd » April 10th, 2015, 5:29 pm

My Linx 7" Tablet is working again.
First i tried copying my sources to the new bootable usb.
When I tried to Reset PC, it can up until 13% and told me that a problem had occurred.
So i tried as nick_stubbings did, copied the boot.wim from the new usb to the old usb (the one in the sources folder) and it worked.

Thank you nememo and nick_stubbings!
kaysd

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Expert Raglamyr

Postby itsliamprowse » April 23rd, 2015, 6:44 pm

Thank you! this worked for me too saved me many hours of stress :D
Thanks again! :D
itsliamprowse

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Amazon

Re: USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

Postby Deleted User 2123 » April 29th, 2015, 5:08 pm

nememo wrote:I've just seen a post that some has actually tried this, and the environment itself is working - but the restore itself fails at somewhere are the 75% mark. As a very last resort, you can still use this USB device to restore the image manually - however you won't have WIMBoot functionality. Please do not attempt this unless you know what you're doing - I've written this off the top of my head so there may be errors in this.

You'll need to go into the advanced options of the recovery key and open a command prompt.

***What this does is completely erases your HDD - it WILL erase the recovery partition - make sure your SWM files are saved***
At the command prompt, type "diskpart" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Then work through each command in order:
Select Disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32 label=System
create partition msr size=128
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label=Windows
assign letter=C
list volumes
exit

The 2nd to last command (List volumes) should show you your new Windows drive (hopefully assigned the letter C), and the recovery drive (it may be the letter D, it may not) - where you need to take note of your recovery drive letter.

Dism /apply-image /swmfile:D:\Sources\install.swm /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

You need to make sure you're pointing to the correct location of the swm file - hence you need to know what drive letter the usb drive is using - in this case it's D, and you're applying the image to the C drive.

Finally, run this command to get the bootloader to see the new partition:
bcdboot C:\Windows

could you use this to install a system image as I get a message saying that I have to format the recovery before I can use system image
Deleted User 2123

Postby ClarkHalstead » June 16th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Hi All,

Still cant get this working on Linx 10 after installing windows 10.

Made a windows 8.1 recovery image on an SD card using windows recovery.
Tech support didn't offer any help whatsoever and basically said it invalidated the warranty by installing windows 10! Despite the fact that they must now be aware that there is an issue on the linx 10 recovery process.

So I have tried the nememo way, creating a new USB from the ISO; copying the 3 swm files with no joy. And slo tried copying over the boot.win as mentioned to the original SD card. All without success.
Every time I boot, as mentioned, it just cycles round to the select keyboard option. and no matter what option I choose, I cant get the recovery under way.

I have tried the windows 8.1 recovery media web site http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind ... very-drive but as you probably know these copies do not work with the Linx keys. It needs "Windows 8.1 with Bing"

Is the above instructions to destroy the HDD the only way? I'd be a little apprehensive to follow and tackle this but any other help greatly appreciated. Has anyone tried that method on a 10 before?

Best regards
ClarkHalstead

Postby nememo » June 16th, 2015, 8:12 pm

When you say SD card, are you using the built in reader? As the Linx cannot boot from the SD card reader. I'm guessing you're using an SD>USB adaptor?

Steps to use USB restore:
Select Keyboard Language
Choose Troubleshoot
Use the "Reset Your PC" option
Go through the options - If you get asked to repartition the drives choose yes.
You can choose either Remove files or Fully clean - remove files will suffice if you're keeping the device.
Linx 8 Owner
nememo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

Postby ClarkHalstead » June 16th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Hi Nememo,

I was using a card reader... but I thought I would just go ahead and boot one last time (with your ISO) and do a restore of the "windows 10" option and follow the on screen prompts. Turns out I've just done what you have quoted above (but kept the partitions as didn't know at the time)
Thanks so much for the guide and its now back to Windows 8.1

Happy man again :)

Also did'nt remove TPM when prompted.
ClarkHalstead

PreviousNext

Return to Guides (All Devices)