[Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

If you're gonna create a guide... stick it in here!

Re: [Guide] USB Recovery drive not working? Try this...

by nememo » February 9th, 2015, 7:46 pm

It's a strange one that - if you're not seeing the percentage, then you're not even getting to start the restore process but you are getting past disk partitioning. The people that were having issues with it were well through the restore process itself :/

I'm even debating ditching wimboot myself... once a couple of windows updates have been applied you're loosing what you gained (as the image doesn't get updated). A couple more updates follow, and then you're actually using more space with wimboot than without.
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by thenuttyprof » February 10th, 2015, 12:55 am

I actually like not having winboot. Space ain't really a problem has I have my pc setup for drive sharing. So for example I changed the location of the documents folder on my linx to the documents folder on my pc, I did same with music, videos etc. Makes it alot easier for me. Thinking of doing it with the downloads folder has well but the transfer rates through a wobbler as they say.
Linx User
Linx User

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Amazon

by nick_stubbings » February 11th, 2015, 8:24 pm

OK, I can confirm this works on the Linx 7 (sort of)

The USB recovery stick I made was recognised but I had the icons but no text thing so it wouldn't work.

I tried the steps nememo posted but the other USB stick I tried wasn't recognised by my Linx 7 bios...

To make it work I backed up the original boot.wim from my original recovery USB, deleted the original file and copied the one from the iso in nememo's first post to the original USB recovery stick.

I had no problems at all, I did have to fully wipe it though...

One thing i did notice was a difference in size of the boot.wim files - my (not working) backup was smaller than the one in the iso...

Thanks!!!

by nememo » February 11th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Great stuff! A non-booting USB device usually hasn't been formatted right - double check those settings in Rufus - but glad you found yourself a very easy fix!

The boot.wim is larger as it includes drivers for the 7, 8 and 10 - and also whatever is missing in the stock boot.wim!
Linx 8 Owner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 8
Retailer: Staples

by thenuttyprof » February 13th, 2015, 10:31 am

Within my original recovery files there is no boot.wim, so I have nothing to replace
Linx User
Linx User

by Flibblebot » February 13th, 2015, 11:13 am

boot.wim is a hidden & system file, so you'll need to open a command prompt, cd to the USB stick and run
Code: Select all
attrib -h -s boot.wim

to be able to see it (or, alternatively, tick the "Hidden Items" checkbox on the View tab of an Explorer window)
Premium Member
Premium Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: A retailer
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by thenuttyprof » February 13th, 2015, 1:43 pm

thanks for that, I have my computer set up to show hidden but not system files
Linx User
Linx User

by thenuttyprof » February 13th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Ok that didn't work, I must have a corrupt recovery partition. Reason I think this is no matter which boot.wim I use I will not work. This may sound cheeky, but if anyone could upload the working recovery files to a online storage service, then i could try with them.
Linx User
Linx User

by westonpf » February 14th, 2015, 8:49 am

My Linx10 doesn't have a Boot.wim file either. The image partition of the internal eMMC drive has the install.wim and and a winre.wim file. My ACER had a more traditional WIMBoot setup with the boot.wim, install.wim and custom.wim files along with a few .xml setup files on the images partition. From what I've read on the forum the Linx 7 & 10 are similar, the Linx 8 seems to be set up differently.

If you back up the install.wim and winre.wim from the images partition it should be possible to use a WinPE USB boot process to re-apply the install.wim image to get it back to a fresh install.
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 10
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro

by jimibxl » February 15th, 2015, 12:30 am

nick_stubbings wrote:OK, I can confirm this works on the Linx 7 (sort of)

The USB recovery stick I made was recognised but I had the icons but no text thing so it wouldn't work.

I tried the steps nememo posted but the other USB stick I tried wasn't recognised by my Linx 7 bios...

To make it work I backed up the original boot.wim from my original recovery USB, deleted the original file and copied the one from the iso in nememo's first post to the original USB recovery stick.

I had no problems at all, I did have to fully wipe it though...

One thing i did notice was a difference in size of the boot.wim files - my (not working) backup was smaller than the one in the iso...

Thanks!!!

thanks to u and nememo i could reinstall my linx 7 tablet after i brick it. I did the same as you wrote on your post : i made a recovery usb disk, then overwrite the files from the iso provide by nememo on the usb stick, then boot on the usb stick and i made a full reinstall.

What did not work was restoring an image created in windows, i got errors so full reinstall worked like a charm (around 10 to 15 minutes)

thanks a lot

Retailer: mediamarkt

PreviousNext